talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup XI (in your lifetime)

Before I do mine, I want to say Sami Khedira was absolutely phenomenal for Germany in 2014. I remember that smashing of Brazil and he pulled the strings like no one else did at that world cup.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

---------------------------------Kahn--------------------------------------

Lahm-----------Puyol----------Cannavaro----------R.Carlos

---------------Schweinsteiger-----------------Pirlo----------------

Muller----------------------Iniesta---------------------------ZIdane

--------------------------------Klose------------------------------------------

Bench. Fat ronaldo, Buffon, Xavi, David Villa, Rivaldo, Cafu, Pirlo.

I've given this quite a bit of thought on and off and I've had to consider my clear memories of the World Cup which go back to Spain '82 although I have perfectly good memories even of Argentina '78 but I can't figure out if what I learned subsequently of the 1978 tournament has clouded my judgment on what I saw.  So I'll use everything I know since 1982...

Goalkeeper

IKER CASILLAS

Centre-Backs

FRANCO BARESI

CARLES PUYOL

Full-Backs

PAOLO MALDINI

CAFÚ

Defensive Midfielder

FALCÃO

Central Midfielders

ANDRÉS INIESTA

ZICO

Attacking Midfielder

DIEGO MARADONA

Attackers

RONALDO

LIONEL MESSI

The questionable one in that list is obviously Lionel Messi.  Not because his greatness is in question because he is disputably the greatest footballer of all time, but obviously because of the failures of Argentina during his generation. But the lack of final glory (although almost single handedly getting his country to a World Cup Final should be enough) can't be attributed to one man and to leave him out would be a sin as any level headed person can comprehend.  To further my defence of Messi's inclusion I will also cite one of the greatest World Cup teams of them all which is Brazil of 1982 of which I have added Falcão and also none other than Zico, also one of the greatest of all time and to be honest I thought about adding more from that magical miraculous team Brazil class of '82, but that would've been a step to far which makes me feel like a traitor to football as that team for those that didn't leave it was something more than just special.  It was like the Harlem Globe Trotters of international football during that tournament.  I also wasn't to add that there were plenty of German players that went on and were deleted as I thought about it.  France with favourites of mine like Platini, Amoros, Tigana and Luis Fernández also disssapoints me and hurts...  Maybe the question of a 22 man squad would've been more apt.

@The Rebel CRS

@El Profesor

So my ALL TIME WORLD CUP XI (of my lifetime) sets up as follows...

CASILLAS

CAFÚ          BARESI          PUYOL          MALDINI

FALCÃO

ZICO                    INIESTA

MARADONA

MESSI                       RONALDO

14 hours ago, Danny said:

Went for World Cup winners...

Buffon

Cafu - Puyol - MaldiniRoberto Carlos

Xavi - Busquets - Iniesta

Zidane - Rivaldo 

(Real) Ronaldo

Maldini never won a WC. In fact, that's the only thing missing in his CV: a trophy with the Squadra Azzurra.

11 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

---------------------------------Kahn--------------------------------------

Lahm-----------Puyol----------Cannavaro----------R.Carlos

---------------Schweinsteiger-----------------Pirlo----------------

Muller----------------------Iniesta---------------------------ZIdane

--------------------------------Klose------------------------------------------

Bench. Fat ronaldo, Buffon, Xavi, David Villa, Rivaldo, Cafu, Pirlo.

He was that good mate, but I doubt that he had the capacity to clone himself. :D

2 hours ago, ASF said:

Maldini never won a WC. In fact, that's the only thing missing in his CV: a trophy with the Squadra Azzurra.

He was that good mate, but I doubt that he had the capacity to clone himself. :D

You're right it should have been Cannavaro

no portuguese ronaldo.  no messi.

first world cup seen ( on tv of course )   1998.

goal keeper -   DIDA of 2002

defenders -     Cafu on the right.    mighty mouse Roberto Carlos on the left ( who's better than him in this position ?? ).      Central would be partnership of Fabio Cannavaro and Puyol.

midfield -  Ronaldhino of 2002, the year where we all dropped our jaws oof his brilliance.   Zizou of 2006  minus his rage.    Andres Iniesta of 2010.    Rivaldo of 2002, i know he's not a midfielder but i need him for my complete Quadruple R of brazil.

forward -  phenomenon Ronaldo of  2002, i want that haircut :D    and lastly Romario.    I haven't seen Romario play during the 94 world cup, but the games prior to that, Copa America and that Friendly Tournament Tournoi De France was the time when the R and R Show came to be.

On 5/13/2018 at 17:32, SirBalon said:

I'll continue to think about it because it's been a number of World Cups I can recall all the way back to 78 clearly. O.o

oh man --- 78.   that's the year i was born.      you're ancient !!!  :P  :P  bowing my head again to Sensei SirBalon .....

17 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I've given this quite a bit of thought on and off and I've had to consider my clear memories of the World Cup which go back to Spain '82 although I have perfectly good memories even of Argentina '78 but I can't figure out if what I learned subsequently of the 1978 tournament has clouded my judgment on what I saw.  So I'll use everything I know since 1982...

Goalkeeper

IKER CASILLAS

Centre-Backs

FRANCO BARESI

CARLES PUYOL

Full-Backs

PAOLO MALDINI

CAFÚ

Defensive Midfielder

FALCÃO

Central Midfielders

ANDRÉS INIESTA

ZICO

Attacking Midfielder

DIEGO MARADONA

Attackers

RONALDO

LIONEL MESSI

The questionable one in that list is obviously Lionel Messi.  Not because his greatness is in question because he is disputably the greatest footballer of all time, but obviously because of the failures of Argentina during his generation. But the lack of final glory (although almost single handedly getting his country to a World Cup Final should be enough) can't be attributed to one man and to leave him out would be a sin as any level headed person can comprehend.  To further my defence of Messi's inclusion I will also cite one of the greatest World Cup teams of them all which is Brazil of 1982 of which I have added Falcão and also none other than Zico, also one of the greatest of all time and to be honest I thought about adding more from that magical miraculous team Brazil class of '82, but that would've been a step to far which makes me feel like a traitor to football as that team for those that didn't leave it was something more than just special.  It was like the Harlem Globe Trotters of international football during that tournament.  I also wasn't to add that there were plenty of German players that went on and were deleted as I thought about it.  France with favourites of mine like Platini, Amoros, Tigana and Luis Fernández also disssapoints me and hurts...  Maybe the question of a 22 man squad would've been more apt.

@The Rebel CRS

@El Profesor

CASILLAS

FALCÃO

MARADONA

I had forgotten how good Baresi was in 94. If I´m not wrong his knee was injured in 1994 and in 1990 he played with a fractured elbow. Great player, great leader, tough guy. 

Regarding Messi, I guess it´s a matter of expectations, right? He set the bar so high for himself at Barcelona that it´s difficult to be impressed with him in Argentina. Having said that, he still lead his team to a final in 2014. It was not the best version of Messi, but a World Cup final is not nothing, on the contrary, it is a considerable achievement. 

On 09/06/2018 at 09:03, SirBalon said:

Goalkeeper

IKER CASILLAS

Centre-Backs

FRANCO BARESI

CARLES PUYOL

Full-Backs

PAOLO MALDINI

CAFÚ

Defensive Midfielder

FALCÃO

Central Midfielders

ANDRÉS INIESTA

ZICO

Attacking Midfielder

DIEGO MARADONA

Attackers

RONALDO

LIONEL MESSI

@The Rebel CRS

@El Profesor

CASILLAS

FALCÃO

MARADONA

I wouldn't say it was wrong to place Messi in the side when you consider that all but one of his goals were pretty much from his own work and he did well to lead his team, playing with an injury and sacrificing his normal role. A lot of what he did in that World cup went somewhat unnoticed and had Argentina won it(whether he decided the final or not), then he would probably be a lot more fondly remembered for his 2014 exploits.

I wouldn't personally put him in the team yet though as he still has more in him to come. With the World Cup being every 4 years, I'd rather wait until he's had atleast another one yet. I personally believe he is going into this one in far better shape, the problem is, I'm not sure that the same can be said for Argentina as a team and it doesn't matter how good an individual is if the team around you aren't atleast solid defensively and working hard.

I'm certainly in agreement with you about how a player doesn't need to win it to stand out. Roberto Baggio missed a penalty in a deciding shoot-out, but that doesn't stop him from standing out like a saw thumb when I was an impressionable young kid and he will always be a player I remember fondly in terms of my earliest World Cup memories.

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I wouldn't say it was wrong to place Messi in the side when you consider that all but one of his goals were pretty much from his own work and he did well to lead his team, playing with an injury and sacrificing his normal role. A lot of what he did in that World cup went somewhat unnoticed and had Argentina won it(whether he decided the final or not), then he would probably be a lot more fondly remembered for his 2014 exploits.

I wouldn't personally put him in the team yet though as he still has more in him to come. With the World Cup being every 4 years, I'd rather wait until he's had atleast another one yet. I personally believe he is going into this one in far better shape, the problem is, I'm not sure that the same can be said for Argentina as a team and it doesn't matter how good an individual is if the team around you aren't atleast solid defensively and working hard.

Alot is said about Argentina's "Generación '86"  and that Maradona won it on his own which is the biggest case in sport history of lazy journalism.  This particular Argentina side is less balanced and has much less genuine quality than the Mexico '86 winning side.

Theres been three finals in recent times for Argentina... Coupled with this year's qualification for the World Cup, I challenge anyone to show me where it's practically not all down to Messi. 

Archived