talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What makes a League good?

football forum

Rather than the whole “what’s the best League in the world” stuff that’s been done to death on the Internet, I was wondering what people believe makes a League good. 

Is it the players? The amount of goals? Lots of different winners of that league? Something else?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Entertainment factor.

Competitive matches across the whole of the league, not just top teams. A league where any team can beat another. One that's hard to call a result in because the teams are on a level footing so to speak. 

Obviously you'll get the 'cream' rising to the top eventually but you want to make it hard for them - someone has to finish top and bottom etc but it's not always great when one team strolls to a title. 

Might contradict myself a little here though - Man City strolling to the Premier League is fine because they play with a lot of style and their football is great. On the other hand, you have PSG strolling to a title win with barely any competition; they fucked over Monaco in 2nd place by scoring seven goals against them a few weeks ago. That's not competitive. 

In a funny way, I find a league like Australian A-League 'good' to watch because it's pretty much guaranteed entertainment from all sides. There's a lot of goals and although not attended that well, with most teams it's hard to tell who might win. The standard of each team is poor and they'd struggle against League Two sides here no doubt, but it's a good league to watch because anything can happen. Some matches there have a great atmosphere though, mainly the derbies between Melbourne sides and Sydney sides.

Any league across the world is bound to look better when the top talents play for them though. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, El_Loco said:

Top talent, balance, rivalries, atmosphere in the stadiums, good marketing and creative use of the social media.

Brazil has none. :41_pensive:

Agreed, only I don't care about the use of social media and marketing at all.

Balance, competitiveness, entertaining football, atmosphere and good attendance in stadiums, enough of young talent, fan culture.

So like Bundesliga only without Bayern xD:ph34r:

A good league should have the unpredictable factor. Where every team in that league can realistically beat eachother and it isnt a massive shock. I like the idea of the bottom club in the premier league being able to cause an 'upset'. 

The Premier League is very competitive. You can say all you want about the quality there, but look at how close everybody finished this season (apart from city). 

Archived