Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Argentina World Cup Squad

Final Squad:

Screenshot_20180604-161638_Drive.thumb.jpg.c3c9c4b33c8fb7cd8bbf32ecb66a8630.jpg

-------

Sampaoli´s revealed his 35-men squad earlier today. Franco Armani, Mauro Icardi and Paulo Dybala are on it. Will they make it to Russia? Youngsters like Pavón and Lautaro Martínez are also on it.

On the other hand, no Kranevitter, Ángel Correa and Garay.

Thoughts?

DdK9nILWkAAHU-O.jpg:large

football forum

Armani needs to be on that plane. Even if Romero will still start, the lack of respect shown to him in these last few years is criminal.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

Armani needs to be on that plane. Even if Romero will still start, the lack of respect shown to him in these last few years is criminal.

My real question is: what the heck is Ricky Centurión doing here? 

And seeing the names of Pavón and Lautaro on that list, makes you wonder if Barco would´ve made it had he moved to Europe or stayed at Independiente instead of going to the MLS.

football forum
6 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

My real question is: what the heck is Ricky Centurión doing here? 

And seeing the names of Pavón and Lautaro on that list, makes you wonder if Barco would´ve made it had he moved to Europe or stayed at Independiente instead of going to the MLS.

Centurion is there for his form with Racing, but I agree it's a huge gamble. Kind of shows how much in disarray that attack has been.

Dybala is going to have to seriously impress during their last friendlies 

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Manchester United, England), Nahuel Guzman (Tigres UANL, Mexico), Willy Caballero (Chelsea, England), Franco Armani (River Plate);

Defenders: Javier Mascherano (Hebei China Fortune, China PR), Federico Fazio (Roma, Italy), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City, England), Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla, Spain), German Pezzella (Fiorentina, Italy), Eduardo Salvio (Benfica, Portugal), Marcos Rojo (Manchester United, England), Ramiro Funes Mori (Everton, England), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax, the Netherlands), Marcos Acuna (Sporting CP, Portugal), Cristian Ansaldi (Torino, Italy);

Midfielders: Ever Banega (Sevilla, Spain), Lucas Biglia (AC Milan, Italy), Leandro Paredes (Zenit St Petersburg, Russia), Angel Di Maria (Paris Saint-Germain, France), Manuel Lanzini (West Ham United, England), Ricardo Centurion (Racing Club), Maximiliano Meza (Independiente), Guido Pizarro (Sevilla, Spain), Enzo Perez (River Plate), Giovani Lo Celso (Paris Saint-Germain, France), Rodrigo Battaglia (Sporing CP, Portugal), Cristian Pavon (Boca Juniors), Pablo Perez (Boca Juniors);

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona, Spain), Paulo Dybala (Juventus, Italy), Mauro Icardi (Inter Milan, Italy), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City, England), Diego Perotti (Roma, Italy), Lautaro Martinez (Racing), Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus, Italy).

surprised Funes Mori gets called up.

Is there no-one better? Has anyone else played more regularly?

Not calling up Garay is strange

Aguero------------Higuain

Messi

Biglia-------Banega

Paredes

Tagliafico---Mascherano---Otamendi---Mercado

Romero 

My boy Papu has been snubbed!

On 15/5/2018 at 11:09, Stan said:

surprised Funes Mori gets called up.

Is there no-one better? Has anyone else played more regularly?

Funes Mori was very good when he played for us and also on the NT, he was nailed on as one of the starters before the injury. Garay is also a very good defender who's not on the list, he refused a call a few years ago because his wife was gonna have their kid and hasn't been called since, also he's had a lot of injuries in the last few years, so that probably also played a part. Same with Mammana who's also good (and left footed which's a plus) and was gonna be given a chance but sustained a pretty serious injury that rules him out.

On 15/5/2018 at 11:15, Cicero said:

Not calling up Garay is strange

Aguero------------Higuain

Messi

Biglia-------Banega

Paredes

Tagliafico---Mascherano---Otamendi---Mercado

Romero 

Read above.

7 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Funes Mori was very good when he played for us and also on the NT, he was nailed on as one of the starters before the injury. Garay is also a very good defender who's not on the list, he refused a call a few years ago because his wife was gonna have their kid and hasn't been called since, also he's had a lot of injuries in the last few years, so that probably also played a part. Same with Mammana who's also good (and left footed which's a plus) and was gonna be given a chance but sustained a pretty serious injury that rules him out.

Read above.

Could of sworn Mammana is right footed. Least that's what FIFA 18 told me xD

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Could of sworn Mammana is right footed. Least that's what FIFA 18 told me xD

Yeah, you're right, don't know why i thought that. It's Funes Mori who's left footed.

football forum

Armani finally gets the credit he deserves.

He won't start in Russia, but at least he'll be on the plane. 

Also, surprised Dybala made the squad.

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

Armani finally gets the credit he deserves.

He won't start in Russia, but at least he'll be on the plane. 

Also, surprised Dybala made the squad.

More than likely they will be going with 3 at the back judging from that. 

football forum

To be fair, its probably the worst Argentina side in my lifetime.

Midfield is an embarrasment. Nailed on Biglia and Banega play every minute of every game. 

final squad

What's Max Meza like? @Berserker 

Midfield looks a bit weak.

Amazed there's no-one better than Rojo to call up aside from Garay and Mammana whose exclusions have already been mentioned. 

football forum

I don't get the cries out for Icardi. Taking him would have caused a dressing room disaster. The last time he was on the national team, it was evident that no one wanted to pass to him.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

final squad

What's Max Meza like? @Berserker 

Midfield looks a bit weak.

Amazed there's no-one better than Rojo to call up aside from Garay and Mammana whose exclusions have already been mentioned. 

He's good, a pacey and gifted attacking midfielder. Yeah midfield is weak. I'd have taken Kranneviter and Ascacibar instead of Masche and Biglia, Papu Gomez instead of Pavon and perhaps tried Ocampos instead of Di Maria. I'd have also taken Driussi and Alario/Scocco instead of Dybala & Aguero. Thing with Rojo is he also can play LB so he's useful. I'd have also taken Fabricio Bustos instead of Acuña who is not even a fullback and perhaps even Maidana isntead of Ansaldi if Garay was not possible because we only have 2 pure CBs and one RB, nuts.

• Upvote 1

If they had this man and a top right back, such as Zanetti in his prime to complement Messi, that alone would be enough for the Argies to be serious contenders. But they lack in a lot of areas.

football forum
30 minutes ago, Berserker said:

He's good, a pacey and gifted attacking midfielder. Yeah midfield is weak. I'd have taken Kranneviter and Ascacibar instead of Masche and Biglia, Papu Gomez instead of Pavon and perhaps tried Ocampos instead of Di Maria. I'd have also taken Driussi and Alario/Scocco instead of Dybala & Aguero. Thing with Rojo is he also can play LB so he's useful. I'd have also taken Fabricio Bustos instead of Acuña who is not even a fullback and perhaps even Maidana isntead of Ansaldi if Garay was not possible because we only have 2 pure CBs and one RB, nuts.

You may have a point about Papu over Pavon, but to be fair I think the latter deserved his call up on some front.

football forum

Romero out of the World Cup!

That's honestly the worst Argentina side I can remember and it's got the best player I can remember in it. Unreal.

Lol @Blue got his wish. 

100% This is what Sampaoli will start

Aguero----Higuain

Messi

Di Maria----Biglia----Banega----Mercado

Mascherano---Fazio----Otamendi

Armani 

21 minutes ago, Dan said:

That's honestly the worst Argentina side I can remember and it's got the best player I can remember in it. Unreal.

2010's was equally bad i think.

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Lol @Blue got his wish. 

100% This is what Sampaoli will start

Aguero----Higuain

Messi

Di Maria----Biglia----Banega----Mercado

Mascherano---Fazio----Otamendi

Armani 

Nah, put Tagliafico for Masche, Mercado as a regular RB, replace one of Aguero or Higuain for another midfielder and perhaps Banega with Lo Celso and that will be the team.

27 minutes ago, Berserker said:

2010's was equally bad i think.

Nah, put Tagliafico for Masche, Mercado as a regular RB, replace one of Aguero or Higuain for another midfielder and perhaps Banega with Lo Celso and that will be the team.

Banega and Biglia are nailed on the Centre Midfield pair. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Banega and Biglia are nailed on the Centre Midfield pair. 

I too think these will start, but journos here reckon Lo Celso is edging Banega.