talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Barton - Kante Is Overrated

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The Champions League is at its lowest standard for a long time, teams winning 4-0 and then the other team winning 6-1 in the return leg? Sure SKY sports might cream over it and glory supporters but it was an awful standard across both games. Likewise Arsenal being cunted 10-2, the Champions League has never been less competitive and boring as it it is at the moment.

Pretty much agree with this. I don't know if the CL is on the lowest standard but the defending across Europe definitely is. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

How has this turned into a Scholes Vs Lampard VS Gerrard debate? xD

Because whenever there is a debate about midfielders in the premier league it always turns into that lol.

However I do agree with Barton to a point, I don't think Kante is a god. He is a quality midfielder don't get me wrong but there are a number of players on that Chelsea side that are better and I would take over him in a heartbeat. I feel there are also a number of players you could slot into Kante's spot that would do as well a job as he has. That being said he is a quality midfielder that deserves the majority of credit he is given.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Because whenever there is a debate about midfielders in the premier league it always turns into that lol.

However I do agree with Barton to a point, I don't think Kante is a god. He is a quality midfielder don't get me wrong but there are a number of players on that Chelsea side that are better and I would take over him in a heartbeat. I feel there are also a number of players you could slot into Kante's spot that would do as well a job as he has. That being said he is a quality midfielder that deserves the majority of credit he is given.

1) - who?

2) - why have they not done it yet? 

Everyone speaks about him so highly because he's a breath of fresh air and is pretty much the best traditional defensive midfielder probably since Makalele which is why he gets compared to him so much. 

Not sure there are a 'number' of players who can do his job as well as he has done past 2 seasons. The man is a machine. He tackles brilliantly, very effective in his positioning, he's very quick and he's great for counter-attacking sides. 

47 minutes ago, Romesh said:

1) - who?

2) - why have they not done it yet? 

Everyone speaks about him so highly because he's a breath of fresh air and is pretty much the best traditional defensive midfielder probably since Makalele which is why he gets compared to him so much. 

Not sure there are a 'number' of players who can do his job as well as he has done past 2 seasons. The man is a machine. He tackles brilliantly, very effective in his positioning, he's very quick and he's great for counter-attacking sides. 

I think Jordan Henderson, Morgan Schneiderlin, Danilo Pereira come to mind. As for a why I think it's because Kante is in a great system right now just as he was last season. I'm not trying to put Kante down in anyway, but I don't think he is world class yet like a Modric, or Sergio Busquets. 

• Administrator

he's not world class (yet, I don't think he has that far to go to be honest ) but he's better and more effective than Schneiderlin and Henderson for sure. 

I've not seen enough of Danilo Pereira. 

17 minutes ago, Romesh said:

he's not world class (yet, I don't think he has that far to go to be honest ) but he's better and more effective than Schneiderlin and Henderson for sure. 

I've not seen enough of Danilo Pereira. 

I believe on their respective teams you are right, it's just one of those what if they were there instead scenarios. Then again I've always rated Schneiderlin especially during his days on Southampton.

Danilo Pereira is a quality midfielder. ASF would know probably.

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Sincerely doubt Schneiderlin, Henderson, or Pereira offer what Kante does. 

I understand where you are coming from but there are videos of players like Nigel De Jong doing that as well. 

1 minute ago, Dickie said:

I understand where you are coming from but there are videos of players like Nigel De Jong doing that as well. 

That's not my point. My point being is that what Kante offers is what makes our whole team a success. You put Henderson, Schneiderlin, or Pereira in there it wouldn't be the same. Kante covers so much ground as provided from the video above and reads the game incredibly well considering his well timed tackles. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Gives the ball away and then gives away a free kick?

xD

The ground he covered whilst making 3 successful challenges in the space of 14 seconds. (No way that was a foul for the third)

The video is just an example of what Kante offers the team. Unless you put Makelele in the fountain of youth, I can't see any footballer in the world that can do what Kante does. 

Just now, Cicero said:

xD

The ground he covered whilst making 3 successful challenges in the space of 14 seconds. (No way that was a foul for the third)

The video is just an example of what Kante offers the team. Unless you put Makelele in the fountain of youth, I can't see any footballer in the world that can do what Kante does. 

I think he's a very good player. I just don't know why you've used that video to showcase his ability.

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

xD

Matuidi, Veratti, Busquets, Vidal to name a few off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I think he's a very good player. I just don't know why you've used that video to showcase his ability.

Pretty clear I mentioned it was just an example of what he offers for us. 

He's a quality player, borderline world class.

Back to back premier league titles with two different clubs, and I believe a huge part of Leicester's struggles this season were down to not finding a way to play without him.

1 minute ago, Dickie said:

Matuidi, Veratti, Busquets, Vidal to name a few off the top of my head.

Kante leads all of them in successful tackles and interceptions

Hate using Squwaka as a reference, but you only have to watch Kante week in week out to see how truly special he is. 

defence.JPG

Kante in my opinion is the best in the world in his position. His reading of the game just in front of the defence is exceptional, his anticipation, speed, power, positional sense are all absolutely top notch and on top of that he has the ability to also get forward to help in attack because he's basically got the stamina of a marathon runner. 

World class? Absolutely!

18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Pretty clear I mentioned it was just an example of what he offers for us. 

It was a really poor pass that gave away possession initially. Like i said, i think he's very good but if I'd never seen him play and you showed me that video after telling me how great he is i wouldn't be overly impressed

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

It was a really poor pass that gave away possession initially. Like i said, i think he's very good but if I'd never seen him play and you showed me that video after telling me how great he is i wouldn't be overly impressed

Which again highlights my point in agreeing with Barton. He isn't a fantastic 'footballer', he is a great athlete who is very good at tracking down and tackling the ball. 

• Subscriber

I do actually see where he's coming from. As someone who has lauded him since very early on at Leicester, I do notice when he gets raved about by others and it seems to be the in thing to rave about Kante at the minute. He's been doing this ever since he got here. He never got the same plaudits for us and I'd say he was as good.

That said I still think he is one of the best. There are flaws to his game but I cannot name a better tackler in world football. Not just his tackling, but the ability to tackle and break away almost instantly is enormous. He deserves to be at the top.

He is overrated, but because he is an excellent player and Barton is a cock people were obviously only ever going to shoot this down.

I'd take Matuidi, Nainggolan or Vidal over Kante in a heartbeat, sorry. His reputation as it stands has been inflated by a PL echo-chamber. 

People talk about him being like two midfielders, but I remember Matuidi practically playing as a midfield destroyer and left winger simultaneously when his team were down a man in a CL knockout match. 

People act like Kante is the first super-energetic, box to box player in yonks.

Archived