The better place to talk football.

World Cup Warm-up Friendlies

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, SirBalon said:

SPAIN 1-0 SWITZERLAND (HT)

Think you'll will get another in the second half. There has been no hard pressing so far and Switzerland for all their effort are just nervous at the back when put under pressure. The only chance for a goal is coming from width for the Swiss and the problem there is that there is absolutely no quality up front to tuck it away. 

Just now, Mel81x said:

Think you'll will get another in the second half. There has been no hard pressing so far and Switzerland for all their effort are just nervous at the back when put under pressure. The only chance for a goal is coming from width for the Swiss and the problem there is that there is absolutely no quality up front to tuck it away. 

The same thing occured to both Germany (in the first half) and Argentina recently. And that’s that this isn’t Spain’s complete first team. The Spain full-backs (Alba and Odriozola) are keeping the Swiss players wary. Although Rodríguez for Switzerland isn’t doing too bad. 

• Subscriber
Just now, SirBalon said:

Although Rodríguez for Switzerland isn’t doing too bad. 

I would say that Rodríguez has been the only shinning light for them. When the ball went across in the first half for a ground pass you'd hope that the player on the other end just tries to take a shot on goal (happened to be Shaqiri). Instead he tried to be clever and lobbed it way ahead of a player in the better position. As I said, quality up front is lacking for Switzerland and I wouldn't say their midfield has been utterly terrible but you need goals to win games and I can't see where it coming from for the Swiss.

This may end in a draw but Spain have been very very good tonight. Maybe a cutting edge in the final third would’ve seen more goals for Spain but Switzerland definitely know how to defend very well indeed. 

• Administrator

yeah I've enjoyed watching Spain for the majority of this match. In most friendlies when a plethora of subs are made midway through the 2nd half it always disrupts the flow of the game and that's what has happened here. They've still played well.

Switzerland will struggle to score goals I think in Russia. Other than Shaqiri they have very little creativity. After him I'd probably say Ricardo Rodriguez is their next best. And he's their left back.

The thing I like about Spain is that they don't just rely on one player to deliver the goods. They have the utmost quality in pretty much every area of the pitch. 
If they don't have Ramos, they have Pique. If they don't have Iniesta on, they have Silva. If they don't Alba, they have Monreal or Nacho or Azpilicueta. If they don't have Aspas they have Costa. Not to mention younger players there like Odriozola and Saul. The depth is enviable.  

Just now, Happy Blue said:

These arse clowns have cost me a few quid tonight   ...what have you got to say for yourself @SirBalon :ph34r:

Hahaha should’ve done your research mate. Switzerland practically don’t concede goals. Blame De Gea. :dam:

Just now, SirBalon said:

Hahaha should’ve done your research mate. Switzerland practically don’t concede goals. Blame De Gea:dam:

Yep! he's the Spanish Joe Hart, he's got a clanger or two in him every game if the other team can get enough shots at him

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

You hardly tested the keeper though, that's a worry

Not really... I see it as a good test against a very good defence. There were also various things Lopetegui tired out today that won't be happening in competition. The result is secondary when you play that well mate. It's a friendly.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

You hardly tested the keeper though, that's a worry

Think if you spend the amount of time keeping the ball like Spain did not testing the keeper is considered a good use of players and the system. 

Archived