talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Campeonato Brasileiro - Brazil

football forum

rxVOqko.jpg

League system

State championships are organised by the respective football federations of each state. They run from late January to May.

National championships are organised by the Brazilian FA (CBF). The Brazilian Serie A consists of 20 teams — the top six qualify for the Copa Libertadores (with the top four teams directly entering the group stage) and the bottom four are relegated into Serie B. The season runs from May to December.
Wins by club: Palmeiras (9), Santos (8), São Paulo (6), Corinthians (6), Flamengo (5), Cruzeiro, Vasco da Gama, Fluminense (4), Internacional (3), Botafogo, Grêmio and Bahia (2), Atlético Mineiro, Guarani, Atlético Paranaense, Sport and Coritiba (1).

The Brazilian Cup is a knockout competition played by 86 teams. The winner qualifies for the next year's Copa Libertadores. Nowadays it runs from March to November.  
Wins by club: Grêmio (5), Cruzeiro (5), Flamengo, Corinthians and Palmeiras (3), Fluminense, Vasco da Gama, Santos, Atlético Mineiro, Internacional, Sport, Criciúma, Juventude, Paulista, Santo André (1).

Standings (2018)

As of 13th April.

ytGnJZ1.png'

Fanbase

1) Flamengo 16.5%
2) Corinthians 13.6%
3) São Paulo 7.9%
4) Palmeiras 5.6%
5) Vasco 4.5%
6) Cruzeiro 4%
7) Grêmio 3.3%
8) Santos 3.2%
9) Atlético Mineiro 2.8%
10) Internacional 2.6%
11) Bahia 1.8%
12) Fluminense 1.6%
13) Sport 1.5%

Defending Champions

IFjanUt.jpg

Last year Corinthians clinched their seventh Brazilian and Cruzeiro won the Brazilian Cup for record-tying fifth time.

Broadcasters

BT Sport (UK and Ireland)

Sportitalia (Italy)

Movistar Fútbol (Spain)

SIC Radical (Portugal)

GOL TV (The Americas)

beIN Sports (North Africa, Middle East and Oceania)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Great stuff, we now have a Peruvian and Brazilian football thread. I'd be tempted to start a Paraguayan football thread as I enjoy football from there when I have a chance to watch it but nah not into it a sufficient amount.

Really hope Flamengo wins this year because of the 2 Peruvians, although I am Atletico Mineiro in Brazil. I fell in love with the 2013 team that had Ronaldinho, Bernard, Jo (in his prime) and Victor. 

Also would like Sao Paulo to do well. Christian Cueva is arguably the best player in the league alongside Lucas Pratto who is also a cracking player. Wondering how Rogerio Ceni will do as a manager. Surely not as bad as Bauza.

On 21/03/2017 at 0:19 PM, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Really hope Flamengo wins this year because of the 2 Peruvians, although I am Atletico Mineiro in Brazil. I fell in love with the 2013 team that had Ronaldinho, Bernard, Jo (in his prime) and Victor. 

Also would like Sao Paulo to do well. Christian Cueva is arguably the best player in the league alongside Lucas Pratto who is also a cracking player. Wondering how Rogerio Ceni will do as a manager. Surely not as bad as Bauza.

I don't believe São Paulo will do that well, but Flamengo will definitely be up there again.

6 hours ago, Bravado said:

I don't believe São Paulo will do that well, but Flamengo will definitely be up there again.

I don't have a clue on many of the Brazilians in this league (aside from the obvious ones, Dudu, Lucas Lima, Diego) but Sao Paulo have quality foreigners. Christian Cueva and Lucas Pratto are the best players in the league in their position and will have many goals between each other this season. I also liked what I saw from Buffarini in the 2014 Libertadores. They seem to have a lack of depth though. Andres Chavez can score goals but he's limited overall, while Gilberto couldn't even do it in the MLS. 

If they take advantage of their quality I think they'll do fine. Sometimes quality over quantity is the way to go.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chapecoense up top of the Brazilian first division at the moment and have looked good in the Libertadores. After the plane crash, they have done extraodinarily well at recruiting new players and staff. Fair play to them.

3 hours ago, True Bender said:

It's almost 3 years since the world cup. How has Brazilian football developed in the mean time?

Are there new youth academies? Do the national teams (adults and youth) play modern systems now?

Not much has changed. The national team is doing well under Tite but brazilian football remains a mess.

On 2017-6-1 at 7:08 PM, True Bender said:

It's almost 3 years since the world cup. How has Brazilian football developed in the mean time?

Are there new youth academies? Do the national teams (adults and youth) play modern systems now?

Not really, things haven't changed much.

• The topic was pinned

What a volley from Diego to put Flamengo 1-0 up.

A team with Trauco, Guerrero, Diego and Rever can't be doing this poorly in the league. Surely they'll kick on from here.

I chose the right game to watch. Paolo Guerrero with a hattrick and an assist in a 5-1 win over Chapecoense. What a top striker, seriously he's just having fun in Brazil. He can still cut it in Europe, his age will put teams off though and he's happy in Rio.

• 2 weeks later...

I just turned it on. Dare I say it, but Paolo Guerrero is becoming one of the best free kick takers in the world.

He's peaking right now. Germans will be left with their mouth open if they see how well he plays now.

Ended up being a dull game but Guerrero yet again was unplayable. Trauco had an OK game. Cueva was a bit better than his recent form suggests, he was denied on the line of a goal. Shame as that would have really helped his confidence.

Rogerio Ceni is too inexperienced.

• Administrator

43 year old left wing-back Ze Roberto is still going strong xD. He plays for Palmeiras.

On a lesser note, Rafael Sobis also still playing and is even more lazier than he used to be!

• The title was changed to Brazilian Football
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned