Campeonato Brasileiro - Brazil

football forum

• The title was changed to Brazilian Football
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

You into this @Blue?

Not a hardcore follower but I do follow it enough to be able to form proper opinions. There is always good talent here.

6 hours ago, Bravado said:

The league kicks off tomorrow. Let's see how it goes! 

Copa Libertadores, as usual, will have a huge impact on determining the destiny of the championship. I fancy Cruzeiro to win this year, they´re in a tough spot in their Libertadores group, but they have a quality team that seem to be more built for that kind of competition, over 38 rounds.

Hopefully, my local club, Atlético Paranaense, does well this year.

The full schedule for the 1st round. Cruzeiro vs Grêmio tomorrow is definitely the highlight. 

• SAB 14/04/2018 MINEIRÃO 16:00
    CRUcruzeiro_65.pnggremio_60x60.pngGRE
  • SAB 14/04/2018 BARRADÃO 19:00
    VITvitoria_60x60.pngFlamengo-65.pngFLA
  • SAB 14/04/2018 PACAEMBU 21:00
    SANsantos_60x60.pngceara_60x60.pngCEA
  • DOM 15/04/2018 INDEPENDÊNCIA 11:00
    AMEAmericaMG-65.pngsport65.pngSPO
  • DOM 15/04/2018 SÃO JANUÁRIO 16:00
    VASVasco-65.pngAtletico-Mineiro-escudo65px.pngCAM
  • DOM 15/04/2018 ARENA CORINTHIANS 16:00
    CORcorinthians_60x60.pngfluminense_60x60.pngFLU
  • DOM 15/04/2018 BEIRA-RIO 16:00
    INTinter65.pngbahia_60x60.pngBAH
  • DOM 15/04/2018 ARENA DA BAIXADA 19:00
    CAPatletico-pr_2015_65.pngEscudo-Chape-165.pngCHA
  • SEG 16/04/2018 ENGENHÃO 20:00
    BOTbotafogo_60x60.pngpalmeiras_60x60.pngPAL
  • SEG 16/04/2018 MORUMBI 20:00
    SAOsao_paulo_60x60.pngparana_60x60.pngPAR

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, El_Loco said:

Copa Libertadores, as usual, will have a huge impact on determining the destiny of the championship. I fancy Cruzeiro to win this year, they´re in a tough spot in their Libertadores group, but they have a quality team that seem to be more built for that kind of competition, over 38 rounds.

Hopefully, my local club, Atlético Paranaense, does well this year.

The full schedule for the 1st round. Cruzeiro vs Grêmio tomorrow is definitely the highlight. 

Don't you consider Palmeiras firm favourites to take the title? 

3 hours ago, Bravado said:

Don't you consider Palmeiras firm favourites to take the title? 

I consider Palmeiras one of the favourites, along with Cruzeiro, Grêmio, Flamengo and Corinthians. They have the deepest squad in Série A and this could be determining to another national title. Having said that, I think most experts vastly overrate Palmeiras. Like I´ve said, they have the deepest squad, but from 1 to 11, how much better than the rest are they? In my opinion, the answer is not much. This is certainly true to central defence, where they still haven´t properly replaced the loss of Yerry Mina. 

Actually I think Grêmio is the best side in brazilian football. Their defence pair, Geromel and Kanemann is probably the best in the country, Renato the best coach, Luan the best forward and Arthur the best overall player in brazilian football. But they´ll probably focus on the defense of the Copa Libertadores title, like last year, when they could´ve challenged Corinthians but rested their best players in many occasions.

Edited by El_Loco

I recall most people didn't rate Corinthians last year at the start, as they had sold off a lot of their players.

I don't like their style of play at all but I can't deny they are a decent team. Will see how they do without Jo this time around though.

I obviously want Flamengo to win it because of Guerrero and Trauco, but Gremio are also a side I'm keen on.

36 minutes ago, Blue said:

I recall most people didn't rate Corinthians last year at the start, as they had sold off a lot of their players.

I don't like their style of play at all but I can't deny they are a decent team. Will see how they do without Jo this time around though.

I obviously want Flamengo to win it because of Guerrero and Trauco, but Gremio are also a side I'm keen on.

The loss of Jô is still felt indeed. Right now, Corinthians don´t have a reliable striker in their ranks. They´re trying to bring Róger, from Internacional. It would be a decent choice. Róger failed at Inter, but his recent spell at Botafogo was very successful. He is a good striker. Corinthians is also close to losing Maycon. According to the press here, it´s almost a done deal with Shakhtar Donetsk paying 6 million euros for the promissing midfielder. Corinthians is truly a terrible seller. xD The ukrainians will end up making a lot of money from this deal down the road. 

I also agree, Corinthians´ brand of football is effective, yet not really appealing. They´re very solid at defence, tactically sound and lose very few points at home. Still, they don´t have much in terms of attack. I´m not saying they don´t deserve to win, on the contrary, they have all the merit to establishing a style of football in their team and sticking with it. My point is that brazilian football needs different ideas, we´re stuck with a very physical and defensive style of play at domestic football.

It´s not a coincidence that suddenly creative brazilian midfielders became hard to find. Pragmatism and physical strenght is preferred to technical ability. My hope is that little by little, I´m seeing a new generation of coaches studying more and trying to apply a more new approaches, such as Róger Machado, Zé Ricardo and Fernando Diniz. Also, young midfielders like Arthur, Matheus Rossetto, Evander and Maycon are starting to appear. 

On Flamengo, they´re a sleeping giant. I mean, they´ve managed to dramatically reduce their debts and to increase their revenue. Along with Palmeiras, Flamengo is the richest team in brazilian football but on the pitch, despite a strong squad and good finances, the results are simply not there yet. Hiring a good coach is vital and should their priority. At the present they´re being coached by an interim after the dismissal of Carpegiani. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El_Loco said:

The loss of Jô is still felt indeed. Right now, Corinthians don´t have a reliable striker in their ranks. They´re trying to bring Róger, from Internacional. It would be a decent choice. Róger failed at Inter, but his recent spell at Botafogo was very successful. He is a good striker. Corinthians is also close to losing Maycon. According to the press here, it´s almost a done deal with Shakhtar Donetsk paying 6 million euros for the promissing midfielder. Corinthians is truly a terrible seller. xD The ukrainians will end up making a lot of money from this deal down the road. 

I also agree, Corinthians´ brand of football is effective, yet not really appealing. They´re very solid at defence, tactically sound and lose very few points at home. Still, they don´t have much in terms of attack. I´m not saying they don´t deserve to win, on the contrary, they have all the merit to establishing a style of football in their team and sticking with it. My point is that brazilian football needs different ideas, we´re stuck with a very physical and defensive style of play at domestic football.

It´s not a coincidence that suddenly creative brazilian midfielders became hard to find. Pragmatism and physical strenght is preferred to technical ability. My hope is that little by little, I´m seeing a new generation of coaches studying more and trying to apply a more new approaches, such as Róger Machado, Zé Ricardo and Fernando Diniz. Also, young midfielders like Arthur, Matheus Rossetto, Evander and Maycon are starting to appear. 

On Flamengo, they´re a sleeping giant. I mean, they´ve managed to dramatically reduce their debts and to increase their revenue. Along with Palmeiras, Flamengo is the richest team in brazilian football but on the pitch, despite a strong squad and good finances, the results are simply not there yet. Hiring a good coach is vital and should their priority. At the present they´re being coached by an interim after the dismissal of Carpegiani. 

Brazil has never had a ton of great central midfielders though, at least not compared to their full backs and forwards.

Carpegiani I'm convinced was sacked due to his favouritism to domestic players, because if I looked at those results, it doesn't convince me enough to say he deserved the sacking. They really weren't doing all that badly, but the likes of Trauco, Marlos, Cuellar and Berrio were all freezed out by him and they were on high wages. Its like buying a car and continuing to use public transport. It was a baffling appointment to begin with, as he was Flamengo's manager when they beat Liverpool 3-0 in the 1981 Intercontinental Cup final. He's lucky to have not had Guerrero because he can't be benched at that team given he's arguably the best player at club level in the Americas.

Full schedule for the 2nd round below. I´m intrigued about that Grêmio vs Atlético Paranaense. Atlético has eliminated São Paulo from Copa do Brasil at Morumbi yesterday and is looking like a team that could be the surprise of the year.   

• SAB 21/04/2018 FONTE NOVA 16:00
    BAHbahia_60x60.pngsantos_60x60.pngSAN
  • SAB 21/04/2018 MARACANà19:00
    FLAFlamengo-65.pngAmericaMG-65.pngAME
  • DOM 22/04/2018 DURIVAL BRITTO 11:00
    PARparana_60x60.pngcorinthians_60x60.pngCOR
  • DOM 22/04/2018 INDEPENDÊNCIA 16:00
    CAMAtletico-Mineiro-escudo65px.pngvitoria_60x60.pngVIT
  • DOM 22/04/2018 ARENA CONDÁ 16:00
    CHAEscudo-Chape-165.pngVasco-65.pngVAS
  • DOM 22/04/2018 MARACANà16:00
    FLUfluminense_60x60.pngcruzeiro_65.pngCRU
  • DOM 22/04/2018 CASTELÃO (CE) 16:00
    CEAceara_60x60.pngsao_paulo_60x60.pngSAO
  • DOM 22/04/2018 PACAEMBU 16:00
    PALpalmeiras_60x60.pnginter65.pngINT
  • DOM 22/04/2018 ARENA DO GRÊMIO 19:00
    GREgremio_60x60.pngatletico-pr_2015_65.pngCAP
  • SEG 23/04/2018 ILHA DO RETIRO 20:00
    SPOsport65.pngbotafogo_60x60.pngBOT

Can someone tell me what's going on at Flamengo? Even without Carpegiani, they refuse to play foreigners bar Cuéllar. Now they want to bin off Paolo Guerrero who is the best player in the league just to play Henrique Dourado?

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

Can someone tell me what's going on at Flamengo? Even without Carpegiani, they refuse to play foreigners bar Cuéllar. Now they want to bin off Paolo Guerrero who is the best player in the league just to play Henrique Dourado?

i heard that Guerrero has committed more drug offences so they won't be playing him any time soon.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Guerrero is in Switzerland for his trial. He could come back against Inter on Sunday. 

I don´t think Flamengo should start Guerrero though if he has already an agreement with Palmeiras, as rumoured. 

That game finished 2-0 to Flamengo over Inter. Guerrero gave an assist. 

Lucas Paquetá is playing really well and as is the case with any Flamengo player that performs well, many are starting to ask for a Seleção call-up. Tite should at least consider because he is one of the best attacking midfielders in brazilian football.  To become the Flamengo´s main player at only 20 is no easy feat. The thing that really impresses me is that it´s not easy to find players in Brazil with the skill and height (1,80m) he has. Fast, tall, strong, extremely skilled, works really hard defending as well. Quite a rare player to find in brazilian football, he plays more like an argentinian. xD

Edited by El_Loco
  • Upvote 2

Miguel "not world class technique" Trauco gets his second assist for Flamengo on his first game back.

Carpegiani is looking more like a fool by the minute.

• 4 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned