• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

How Will The Relegated Teams Fare in The Championship?

Relegated Teams Performance in 2018/19 Championship  

17 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Swansea

    • Top 2 (automatic promotion)
      0
    • Play-offs
    • 7th-12th
    • 13th-21st
    • Bottom 3 (relegation)
      0
  2. 2. Stoke

    • Top 2 (automatic promotion)
    • Play-offs
    • 7th-12th
    • 13th-21st
    • Bottom 3 (relegation)
  3. 3. West Brom

    • Top 2 (automatic promotion)
    • Play-offs
    • 7th-12th
    • 13th-21st
      0
    • Bottom 3 (relegation)
      0

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/08/18 at 14:00

Recommended Posts

Obviously very early days. There could be managerial changes, several transfers, varying budgets amongst other things which affect next season.

But what are your early thoughts?

Will any of Swansea, Stoke and/or West Brom bounce straight back up? Will anyone 'do a Sunderland' and get out of the division at the first time of asking but go in the wrong direction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, it's obviously very hypothetical but if I had to make a call now I'd go with the following.

Swansea are incredibly bang average and pretty powderpuff. They concede too many. I don't rate the quality of a lot of their players and anything half decent will move on I think. They are like night and day to the team they left this division with and they will need to rebuild quite a bit. I think they will lose as many as they win and occupy a midtable position.

Stoke I can see being solid and hard to beat. That is a good quality in this league as Cardiff have proved. You don't need to be a decent footballing side to stand a chance seemingly. They will have money and they will definitely improve to go with what they had. I think they will be able to keep some of their battle hardened players and should have a decent spine of a team with the likes of Shawcross, Charlie Adam, Darren Fletcher etc. It could be the making of someone like Berahino as well dropping a league. I can see them holding a playoff spot.

West Brom are the traditional yo yo club. If they do decide to go with Moor as manager and he continues to get players playing for him, you can see him having a really positive effect for them. Out of the three, I think they are the one's that could potentially compete for top two.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were a current Championship team, I wouldn’t look at any of these three and be that threatened by them being in the Championship next season. 

None of the three are particularly big clubs, none would make me think that they’re going to spend masses this summer and none of these names would make me think that their budget(s) are going to be hugely different to the rest of the Championship. 

I’ll say it now, I can see the bubble bursting at West Brom under Darren Moore, if they do go for him, just like it did at Leicester under Craig Shakespeare.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see Stoke and West Brom challenging for promotion or play offs but I think Swansea have a long way to go, especially when they lose Mawson I don't see many of their other players being Premier League quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

few days left to go til the season starts.

Transfer activity for the 3 relegated teams...

Stoke
Ins:

Benik Afobe (£13m)
Tom Ince (£11m)
Peter Etebe (£7m)
James McClean (£5m)
Adam Federici (Free)

Out:
Xherdan Shaqiri (£15m)
Ramadan Sobhi (£6.5m)
Marc Muniesa (£5m)
Lee Grant (£1.7m)
Kevin Wimmer (loan)

West Brom
Ins:
Sam Johnstone (£6.5m)
Kyle Bartley (£4m)
Conor Townsend (750k)
Jonathan Bond (free)
Harvey Barnes (Loan)

Out:
James McClean (£5m)
Jonny Evans (£3.6m)
Ben Foster (unknown)
Claudio Yacob
Gareth McAuley
James Morrison

Swansea
Joel Asoro (£2.3m)
Barrie McKay (£550k)
Jordi Govea (free)
Yan Dhanda (free)

Out:
Lukasz Fabianski (£8m)
Roque Mesa (£6m)
Kyle Bartley (£4.5m)
Andre Ayew (loan)
Ki Sung-Yeung (free)



So who's done the best business? Based on the above transfer activity, who do we think will finish the highest, or even get promotion back to the Premier League?
I reckon Stoke - they've lost a massive talent in Shaqiri but players like Afobe, McClean and Etebo are good for the Championship, maybe even too good (Etebo impressed me in the World Cup).

I'd have expected Swansea to do more business than what they have done so far; losing Fabianski is big for them. West Brom have replaced Foster with a better keeper in Sam Johnstone, and I think Harvey Barnes will be quality for them. They've lost Evans & McAuley though and although being defenders that were part of a side getting relegated, you'd think they'd have been good enough in that league to help get them out, despite their age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope to fucking Christ that Stoke don't come right back up.

same. but I think they're best equipped for it out of the 3.

I also don't want West Brom coming up.

If I had a choice, it'd be 3 out of Leeds, Brentford, Villa or Blackburn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t think West Brom or Swansea will be close, in all honesty. Stoke are the best equipped but that doesn’t mean anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoke and Baggies in the play offs, Swansea lower midtable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that we added so much to replace our losses honestly I won't be surprised if we shoot straight back up, I would like to think we'll win it all honestly but more than likely we'll get through with playoffs with our luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2018 at 20:47, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope to fucking Christ that Stoke don't come right back up.

Same. 

However out of all 3 i think they will do the best. Swansea by far will struggle the most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully badly. Can't be doing with Middlesbrough coming back up either with Pulis hanging around.

Hopefully another three bang average teams like Bournemouth and Southampton get relegated from the Premier League this season and get replaced by Aston Villa who should be in the top flight along with some more new blood like Derby, Leeds, Preston, Brentford etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West Brom and Swansea look equally ill-prepared for this season. I wouldn’t want to separate either in terms of who’s going to do the worst. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

 

Hopefully another three bang average teams like Bournemouth and Southampton get relegated from the Premier League this season and get replaced by Aston Villa who should be in the top flight along 

No team should be in the top flight. Villa are a big club yes but credit to the likes of Bournemouth and Eddie Howe who continue to punch above their weight.

Besides, Villa play in that disgusting Claret and Blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

No team should be in the top flight. Villa are a big club yes but credit to the likes of Bournemouth and Eddie Howe who continue to punch above their weight.

Besides, Villa play in that disgusting Claret and Blue.

Credit to the Russian billionaire throwing money at Bournemouth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Credit to the Russian billionaire throwing money at Bournemouth. 

Definitely!

Pumping money into an underdog of a football club rather than a usual 'big' club who think they have the right to be at the top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stroke to get back up.

West Brom in the play offs.

Swansea to finish mid table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2018 at 16:47, RandoEFC said:

I can see Stoke and West Brom challenging for promotion or play offs but I think Swansea have a long way to go, especially when they lose Mawson I don't see many of their other players being Premier League quality.

 

On 31/07/2018 at 20:36, Stan said:

few days left to go til the season starts.

Transfer activity for the 3 relegated teams...

Stoke
Ins:

Benik Afobe (£13m)
Tom Ince (£11m)
Peter Etebe (£7m)
James McClean (£5m)
Adam Federici (Free)

Out:
Xherdan Shaqiri (£15m)
Ramadan Sobhi (£6.5m)
Marc Muniesa (£5m)
Lee Grant (£1.7m)
Kevin Wimmer (loan)

West Brom
Ins:
Sam Johnstone (£6.5m)
Kyle Bartley (£4m)
Conor Townsend (750k)
Jonathan Bond (free)
Harvey Barnes (Loan)

Out:
James McClean (£5m)
Jonny Evans (£3.6m)
Ben Foster (unknown)
Claudio Yacob
Gareth McAuley
James Morrison

Swansea
Joel Asoro (£2.3m)
Barrie McKay (£550k)
Jordi Govea (free)
Yan Dhanda (free)

Out:
Lukasz Fabianski (£8m)
Roque Mesa (£6m)
Kyle Bartley (£4.5m)
Andre Ayew (loan)
Ki Sung-Yeung (free)



So who's done the best business? Based on the above transfer activity, who do we think will finish the highest, or even get promotion back to the Premier League?
I reckon Stoke - they've lost a massive talent in Shaqiri but players like Afobe, McClean and Etebo are good for the Championship, maybe even too good (Etebo impressed me in the World Cup).

I'd have expected Swansea to do more business than what they have done so far; losing Fabianski is big for them. West Brom have replaced Foster with a better keeper in Sam Johnstone, and I think Harvey Barnes will be quality for them. They've lost Evans & McAuley though and although being defenders that were part of a side getting relegated, you'd think they'd have been good enough in that league to help get them out, despite their age.

 

On 31/07/2018 at 21:19, The Palace Fan said:

Stoke are the best equipped, West Brom should be competitive, Swansea have a lot of work to do.

 

On 01/08/2018 at 02:52, Danny said:

Stoke and Baggies in the play offs, Swansea lower midtable.

 

On 01/08/2018 at 05:13, The Palace Fan said:

I think I'll have Stoke top four, West Brom top half, and Swansea anywhere from 13th to 20th.

 

On 03/08/2018 at 02:37, JOSHBRFC said:

Same. 

However out of all 3 i think they will do the best. Swansea by far will struggle the most. 

 

On 03/08/2018 at 18:37, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Stoke and West Brom to contest the top 6 in general and Swansea to get relegated.

 

On 04/08/2018 at 07:52, Devon Von Devon said:

Stroke to get back up.

West Brom in the play offs.

Swansea to finish mid table.

 

Yes, yes, I know it's one game but if those games are anything to go by, it's Swansea doing the best out of all 3 and serving us some slices of humble pie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoke will be there or there about, and Leeds have Bielsa and the hype around him. I’m not surprised by today’s result.

Aaaand I picked Leeds in the pontoon at work, so happy with the 3 goals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement