talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ryan Giggs - Aguero & Sanchez Only World Class Players

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not Özil, he's not world class although on his day when everyone is doing right for him he is there (the problem is he is needy and he should be his own protagonist to really be world class).

As for what Giggs says...  I'm not so sure although it's very hard to refute and he's been very clever actually.  Zlatan isn't world class anymore because he's become an immobile trunk with moments of front line genius in terms of positioning and technical details.  But to discount him now isn't and shouldn't be a slant on his career as every player that was once living on top of the tree will eventually reside on the lower branches as others overtake.

Hazard isn't far away and only his periodical lapses in form (discounting last season as void in his career) is what probably leaves him out of that category.

Then you have players like Rooney who was world class or maybe even David Silva where the Premier League is concerned.  Petr Cech as a world class goalkeeper who has played all of his best years in the English game.  David de Gea is world class but maybe Giggs isn't counting keepers and I would also say Courtois is because he's easily in the top 6 or 7 keepers in the world.

Zlatan and Silva...

If Zlatan's career doesn't prove he's world class, I don't know what does. He isn't the same he once was, but in years to come people will remember him as world class. It's not fair to not label him as such.

As for Silva, just need to watch him play for 15 minutes.

Balon already said it... Courtois and De Gea surely are world class.

Coutinho also is imo. He's overlooked for some reason but if he moves to Barcelona in the summer, suddenly everyone will start saying he's world class :34_rolling_eyes: I suppose he needs that Champions League football to prove himself.

8 minutes ago, Machado said:

Zlatan and Silva...

If Zlatan's career doesn't prove he's world class, I don't know what does. He isn't the same he once was, but in years to come people will remember him as world class. It's not fair to not label him as such.

As for Silva, just need to watch him play for 15 minutes.

Balon already said it... Courtois and De Gea surely are world class.

Coutinho also is imo. He's overlooked for some reason but if he moves to Barcelona in the summer, suddenly everyone will start saying he's world class :34_rolling_eyes: I suppose he needs that Champions League football to prove himself.

I remember when a select few were laughing at me when I said an on form Coutinho is just as good as Neymar. 

Used to be one of his biggest critics. Lad is just phenomenal on his day.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

So you wouldn't say Alexis is world class?

Tough call. I personally think Alexis' ability is being wasted at Arsenal. He were on a more competitive side it would be easier to place judgement. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Tough call. I personally think Alexis' ability is being wasted at Arsenal. He were on a more competitive side it would be easier to place judgement. 

talent is based on individual talent though, not who you're surrounded by?

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I classify an elite player (world class) as a player that has obvious abundance in talent but can then take a game by the scruff of the neck and be the spur to change things.  For Arsenal against top opposition he's the only one that looks like being the revolutionary.

But then again for Barça he failed to be able to do this even though there were some amazing moments like that goal against Atlético Madrid on the final day of the season where Barça needed to win to clinch La Liga (Godín equalised and won it for Atleti).  There's also that amazing goal against Real Madrid... But on the whole he couldn't rise above the rest like he does at Arsenal and that actually tells us a lot about Arsenal in actual fact.

2 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

talent is based on individual talent though, not who you're surrounded by?

Having great players around you makes football easier. When football is easier you have more opportunities to showcase your ability on a larger competitive scale. Sanchez has shown quality, but it doesn't help when you are on a team that continues to get dumped out of the CL and lose against top teams in your domestic league.

There is also the Barca argument where he hasn't been nearly as influential when he's surrounded by great players. 

Like I said, its a tough call. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

You reckon Lloris is better than De Gea?

I'd honestly have Lloris as number one. De Gea second.

I think Courtois is a bit behind both, Cech has gone downhill (although was genuinely top class at one stage) and the less said about Liverpool & Man City's keepers the better.

• Subscriber

How highly do people rate Schmeichel? I think he's going from strength to strength this year. Been easily our best player. A sure improvement on what Liverpool have.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

How highly do people rate Schmeichel? I think he's going from strength to strength this year. Been easily our best player. A sure improvement on what Liverpool have.

Why do you keep fetching Liverpool up you bastard? :cardY:

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why do you keep fetching Liverpool up you bastard? :cardY:

Do I? xD I do think on the topic of goalkeepers though it's not unfair.

Something tells me it might click for Bravo next year.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

Do I? xD I do think on the topic of goalkeepers though it's not unfair.

Something tells me it might click for Bravo next year.

To be fair Migs hasn't been bad at all this season but it's the cool thing to do to slag him off. 

Archived