talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ryan Giggs - Aguero & Sanchez Only World Class Players

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alexis is easily World class, it's not even a debate. I'd still say Aguero is as well. I think De Gea is absolutely World Class one of the three best keepers in the world for me. For what his doing at his age Zlatan is still up there and I think Hazard is for sure. I wouldn't dispute David Silva either.

There's a few just off for me, Kante & Kane will get there some day.

Some hilarious suggestions in here though Coutinho, Alli & Pogba. xD

Alexis Sanchez and De Gea. I'd say those two are the two. If we mention Aguero then we'd have to include Hazard and then we'd have to include a load more which would defeat the purpose of separating the greatest from the great.

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Sanchez isn't a step above Aguero, Aguero thrived in the superior La Liga whereas Sanchez failed and then took a step down to Arsenal. Maybe he's now ready to compete at a massive club again.

I disagree

Alexis Sanchez single handedly won the Copa America in 2016 and had a wonderful last season with Barca. Its not that he "failed" its that his level took a massive rise. As you suggested near the end though, he's definitely ready to compete at a massive club now.

25 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

had a wonderful last season with Barca

I don't know about "wonderful" mate.  He definitely had a much better last season at Barça than the previous ones.  But he couldn't shoe-horn his place into the team and then the trio were put together (Messi, Neymar and Suárez) which meant Pedro departed a season later to Chelsea.

Just now, SirBalon said:

I don't know about "wonderful" mate.  He definitely had a much better last season at Barça than the previous ones.  But he couldn't shoe-horn his place into the team and then the trio were put together (Messi, Neymar and Suárez) which meant Pedro departed a season later to Chelsea.

It was definitely not a "failure" though. It was a huge improvement over the last few seasons.

5 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

It was definitely not a "failure" though. It was a huge improvement over the last few seasons.

No, never a failure at all.  He just never managed to become a first team regular and a player like him to thrive has to be exactly that which is why we have him as a star performer for us at Arsenal.

10 minutes ago, Fusion said:

Both Ibra and Sanchez deserve respect because they keep performing well after the way Barcelona tried to destroy their careers.

Pep sabotaged them intentionally because they refused to play for free.

16 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Alexis is easily World class, it's not even a debate. I'd still say Aguero is as well. I think De Gea is absolutely World Class one of the three best keepers in the world for me. For what his doing at his age Zlatan is still up there and I think Hazard is for sure. I wouldn't dispute David Silva either.

There's a few just off for me, Kante & Kane will get there some day.

Some hilarious suggestions in here though Coutinho, Alli & Pogba. xD

Struggling to see what's so funny about that one. Coutinho is fucking unreal and doesn't get anywhere near enough credit. Stick him in the United first team and journalists would be falling over themselves to praise every blade of grass he touches.

16 hours ago, 6666 said:

Alexis Sanchez and De Gea. I'd say those two are the two. If we mention Aguero then we'd have to include Hazard and then we'd have to include a load more which would defeat the purpose of separating the greatest from the great.

If you're being selective on 'the greatest', then nobody other Messi and Ronaldo can even be considered as 'world class' and we might as well all go shopping on Saturday afternoons instead. 

Yeah, I followed Liverpool in his first full season and he was a great player but not world class yet. When Brazil came to play us in Lima I was amazed at how he's grown. Completely world class for me. Looked on par with Neymar in that particular match.

I'd definitely add De Gea and Hazard to his list, but I'm not sure about Sanchez. Too many players in a similar position who are at least as good as him.

You could make an argument for Ibrahimovic - past his best but still scoring goals in a strong league - Kante and De Bruyne but I have them a step down for now.

I'm not having Lloris. He's nowhere near the likes of De Gea and Neuer for me.

24 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

Struggling to see what's so funny about that one. Coutinho is fucking unreal and doesn't get anywhere near enough credit. Stick him in the United first team and journalists would be falling over themselves to praise every blade of grass he touches.

If you're being selective on 'the greatest', then nobody other Messi and Ronaldo can even be considered as 'world class' and we might as well all go shopping on Saturday afternoons instead. 

Coutinho's a top quality player but desperately needs consistency if he's ever to be considered world class. There's still time.

7 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Coutinho is very good but he has too many spells like the one he's in at the moment to be considered world class. He's unplayable on his day but as already mentioned, needs to be more consistent.

To me, World Class means the quality that would make one a candidate for a place in one of the few top teams in the world. So its a group of a few dozen players.

But it's extremely subjective. Some would say only the best few players in the world are world class, or the best player in each position, which to me is unnecessarily restrictive. 

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I reckon I have a different idea of 'World Class' than everyone else on here based on people's posts on this thread. 

World Class to me means a very small collection of the best players on the planet, whereas to others it seems to be a grouping of many players.

'World class' is a term that has always rankled with me. It's so subjective and causes irritating discussions which split hairs over players' attributes as if they can be quantified like a Football Manager 'x out of 20' statistic.

For me, if you're a leading player in a successful side, you've got to be considered with the term.

Archived