talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manuel Pellegrini Becomes West Ham Manager

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d want this bloke over Marco Silva if I were Everton. I also think that Silva is the sort of bloke West Ham should be aiming for, he’s the sort of manager who’s not done too much in the Premier League to warrant an interview at an Everton but is about the same level as West Ham. 

10 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

If Pellegrini is available it's absolutely mindboggling that we're not speaking with him. Wages aren't a problem at Everton.

This is my point really. For a club who have talked about ambition as openly as Everton have and have invested heavily (though not necessarily cleverly) in the transfer market, a bloke sacked by Watford and who didn’t make Hull look as bad as they possibly were shouldn’t even be considered for me. 

That and his teams aren’t very good defensively. I said it on the Leicester thread about him going there that I don’t think he’s all he’s cracked up to be and I pulled some results from his time at Watford and Hull that were alarming and suggested that he had frailties setting up a side defensively. Granted those sides were Watford and Hull but they were still poor records to have. 

21 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

This is my point really. For a club who have talked about ambition as openly as Everton have and have invested heavily (though not necessarily cleverly) in the transfer market, a bloke sacked by Watford and who didn’t make Hull look as bad as they possibly were shouldn’t even be considered for me. 

That and his teams aren’t very good defensively. I said it on the Leicester thread about him going there that I don’t think he’s all he’s cracked up to be and I pulled some results from his time at Watford and Hull that were alarming and suggested that he had frailties setting up a side defensively. Granted those sides were Watford and Hull but they were still poor records to have. 

Didn't that bloke get sacked at Watford though because he got his head turned by a possible move to Everton and then started acting like a dickhead to his employers?

Not that that's really a very good defense for getting sacked... but it's not as though he was sacked for being a totally shite manager.

I 100% agree that Pelllegrini is pretty much the right kind of manager Everton should be looking at though if they're as ambitious as they're saying they are. He's a good manager, he can change the culture at Everton and he's someone that I think they can safely appoint and back for a few seasons and give time to actually build a new-look Everton side.

If he's seriously considering West Ham and Everton aren't also making an approach for him, then Everton are either mental or they're not serious about their ambition.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't that bloke get sacked at Watford though because he got his head turned by a possible move to Everton and then started acting like a dickhead to his employers?

Not that that's really a very good defense for getting sacked... but it's not as though he was sacked for being a totally shite manager.

I 100% agree that Pelllegrini is pretty much the right kind of manager Everton should be looking at though if they're as ambitious as they're saying they are. He's a good manager, he can change the culture at Everton and he's someone that I think they can safely appoint and back for a few seasons and give time to actually build a new-look Everton side.

If he's seriously considering West Ham and Everton aren't also making an approach for him, then Everton are either mental or they're not serious about their ambition.

I don’t think a losing run helped Silva’s cause. Their form dipped after the Everton interest. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don’t think a losing run helped Silva’s cause. Their form dipped after the Everton interest. 

I mean, I think the way that entire situation played out is a pretty big red flag on Silva. I actually don't think he's a bad manager at all, but once he wanted the move away he stopped giving a shit and the players also stopped giving a shit. It was hugely unprofessional and put the club's top flight security at risk.

He definitely deserved the sack for that... and it's a big red flag for clubs in the future. I don't like Everton, but do I think they deserve a manager that'll mentally quit on the players and the fans if they're doing well and then all of a sudden he's linked with Juve, Bayern, Madrid, etc...? Nah, that's pretty shocking if the man who's supposed to be the leader of the football side of the club just packs it in because they're frustrated they're not allowed to move midseason. Especially if there was a contractual release clause. You can't expect players to perform for a manager that entirely stops giving a shit about them mid-season.

7 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’d want this bloke over Marco Silva if I were Everton. I also think that Silva is the sort of bloke West Ham should be aiming for, he’s the sort of manager who’s not done too much in the Premier League to warrant an interview at an Everton but is about the same level as West Ham. 

The same Everton who's last 3/4 managers have been David Moyes, Roberto Martinez and Sam Allardyce?

I know they have money now but I'd also not be surprised if West Ham have some hidden away too with the stadium.

Pellegrini would be a good choice for either club, definitely prefer over Silva who's shown severe unprofessionalism at Watford which doesn't bode well.

• Subscriber

I maintain that Silva's a good manager and in the right environment can be a real success - got a real tendency to shoot himself in the foot though.

• Administrator

apparently being paid £7m per year on this new deal for him at West Ham.

I think over the next few years they'll end up back in Europe. Pellegrini's a very good manager. West Ham owners want big players at the club and Pellegrini has that respect and pulling power.

Probably expect Yaya Toure to rock up there. 

Not sure if this is a Brave or Stupid decision by West Ham. I dont see him as being someone who will attract better players than they already have and his time at Manchester City would not convince me he is someone who will improve the players they already have. At City he was surrounded by some of the best players money can buy, at West Ham he will really need to earn his money.

Time will tell how it turns out & West Ham are calling this an exciting appointment. Pretty sure the media wont feel the same way, but the opinion of their fans is the most important.

Good call on Yaya Toure turning up for his pension contract. I can see that happening.

4 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Not sure if this is a Brave or Stupid decision by West Ham. I dont see him as being someone who will attract better players than they already have and his time at Manchester City would not convince me he is someone who will improve the players they already have. At City he was surrounded by some of the best players money can buy, at West Ham he will really need to earn his money.

Time will tell how it turns out & West Ham are calling this an exciting appointment. Pretty sure the media wont feel the same way, but the opinion of their fans is the most important.

Good call on Yaya Toure turning up for his pension contract. I can see that happening.

For a club that has had to put up with prehistoric football from Big Sam and 'safe' football from Moyes, you can see why they would be excited about having a manager known for playing expansive football.

The only problem for West Ham is that Pellegrini's past suggest's his team's can be found defensively wanting. They will certainly get their asses handed to them in a few games.

Typical West Ham really. Up and down with a midtable finish.

• The title was changed to Manuel Pellegrini Becomes West Ham Manager
On 5/21/2018 at 15:52, The Palace Fan said:

Manuel Pellegrini looks set to become the highest-paid manager in West Ham's history. Which is all pretty pointless if they don't back him in the transfer market.

I was reading somewhere today that he will be getting backed with signings in the summer... I don't know what kind of cash they are talking about but it must have been enough of an incentive for him to consider getting on board... 

Seems a strange fit though with him joining West Ham.. Not the kind of managerial signing you might expect from them.. 

Shows ambition, if nothing else. Who knows what kind of budget he'll be working with, but a manager with his pedigree getting backing in the transfer market would be incredibly exciting for fans of a club that have had to sit through Moyes and Fat Sam. A gamble worth taking for the West Ham board, who've been talking a lot of the talk in terms of playing better football and showing more ambition... but then have appointed some managers just known for dogshit football.

But West Ham don't have a great squad right now in my books. So they'll need some serious investment.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Shows ambition, if nothing else. Who knows what kind of budget he'll be working with, but a manager with his pedigree getting backing in the transfer market would be incredibly exciting for fans of a club that have had to sit through Moyes and Fat Sam. A gamble worth taking for the West Ham board, who've been talking a lot of the talk in terms of playing better football and showing more ambition... but then have appointed some managers just known for dogshit football.

But West Ham don't have a great squad right now in my books. So they'll need some serious investment.

He will also need a bit of time to try and turn things around so they will need to back him behind the scenes as well... Nothing worse for me than bringing in a manager and then after only 1 season giving them the heave ho before they have had chance to build something.. You can't always get it right in the first transfer window

Just now, Bluewolf said:

He will also need a bit of time to try and turn things around so they will need to back him behind the scenes as well... Nothing worse for me than bringing in a manager and then after only 1 season giving them the heave ho before they have had chance to build something.. You can't always get it right in the first transfer window

100% agree. If he does great his first season, that's impressive. But they're in no place to be demanding or expecting instant success and for them to bring him in and not be willing to give him time would be totally mental. And odds are the first season may not look like a major improvement in terms of results, and I think most of what they should be concerned about is whether the performances and the quality of the football on display has improved. Because if the football has improved but the results aren't quite there, that can be changed over time by bringing in better players. But if the football is shit and the results are also shit, then they're in the same position.

You'd hope that they wouldn't be stupid about it. But this is West Ham we're talking about, so I fully expect them to be retarded about whatever they do - but I wish Pellegrini well.

On 17/05/2018 at 01:18, Danny said:

The same Everton who's last 3/4 managers have been David Moyes, Roberto Martinez and Sam Allardyce?

I know they have money now but I'd also not be surprised if West Ham have some hidden away too with the stadium.

Pellegrini would be a good choice for either club, definitely prefer over Silva who's shown severe unprofessionalism at Watford which doesn't bode well.

Moyes did well with Everton.

Archived