talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England - Penalty Shootouts

• Administrator

so, historically we've been utterly shocking at penalty shootouts. Mindset, ability, luck. Maybe a combination of all has contributed to the poor record over the years.

Now that we know the squad for the tournament, who will step up and who would you be confident of backing in a shootout if they're on the pitch?

Apparently we have the worst record in the world - stats obviously skewed given some teams get the job in 90mins or don't get the chance to take part in shootouts anyway xD 

My top 5 would be (not necessarily this order)
Vardy
Kane
Lingard
Alli
Young

Stones, Rashford, Maguire (seen him bang one in this season with confidence xD), Walker viable alternatives?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Stan said:

so, historically we've been utterly shocking at penalty shootouts. Mindset, ability, luck. Maybe a combination of all has contributed to the poor record over the years.

Now that we know the squad for the tournament, who will step up and who would you be confident of backing in a shootout if they're on the pitch?

Apparently we have the worst record in the world - stats obviously skewed given some teams get the job in 90mins or don't get the chance to take part in shootouts anyway xD 

My top 5 would be (not necessarily this order)
Vardy
Kane
Lingard
Alli
Young

Stones, Rashford, Maguire (seen him bang one in this season with confidence xD), Walker viable alternatives?

Won against Spain in Euro 96.

• Administrator
Just now, Panna King said:

Won against Spain in Euro 96.

I know. But overall, the history of our shootout record speaks for itself - it's terrible.

Vardy has to be number one because he has nerves of steel and isn't afraid to try the audacious. Penalties are 100% mindset, that is why unassertive players like Özil suck at them when he obviously has an amazing shooting technique . 

I've read that England players just want to get it over with. Its to do with the fight or flight response. They go into flight response and so misfire. Where as teams like Germany go into fight mode and so are more accurate

Archived