talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pep Guardiola named League Managers Association and Premier League Manager of the Year

Manchester City boss is recognised with two awards on the same day

Pep Guardiola has been named the League Managers Associationmanager of the year after a record-breaking season with Manchester City.

The Spaniard masterminded City's Premier League title triumph with a points record of 100, with his side amassing 106 goals along the way.

Guardiola had earlier been named Premier League manager of the year at the LMA Awards dinner in London on Tuesday night, just 24 hours after

Guardiola built on last year's third place by guiding City to the top-flight crown as they became the first side in Premier League history to rack up 100 points.

After finishing the season with a 1-0 win at Southampton, City also secured a record 32 wins in one campaign.

The Spaniard was on a six-man shortlist, beating Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool), Sean Dyche (Burnley), Nuno Espirito Santo (Wolves), Neil Warnock (Cardiff) and John Coleman (Accrington Stanley).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

There really is no comparison with what he did against any other manager in the league this year. It's one thing to have the money but to use it and then blow the competition away while breaking records makes it an easy choice for this season.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

There really is no comparison with what he did against any other manager in the league this year. It's one thing to have the money but to use it and then blow the competition away while breaking records makes it an easy choice for this season.

Correct!  ..Mourinho has spent about the same and they are nowhere near us

11 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Correct!  ..Mourinho has spent about the same and they are nowhere near us

Even if they (Man Utd under Mourinho) were near you points wise, there would still be a massive gulf (the irony of using the word "gulf" in this sense xD;)) in everything concerning what football should be about and the reason people actually watch it by capturing the imagination.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Even if they (Man Utd under Mourinho) were near you points wise, there would still be a massive gulf (the irony of using the word "gulf" in this sense xD;)) in everything concerning what football should be about and the reason people actually watch it by capturing the imagination.

This is so true (everything apart from the Gulf thing as we are self funded ;))

6 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

This is so true (everything apart from the Gulf thing as we are self funded ;))

For me at least, the 100 points achieved is the greatest feat in the history of the English domestic game. When Guardiola achieved it with Barça some people were saying that he would never be able to even contemplate doing that in England... Here we have it!  This for me is much bigger than our "Invincibles" achievement.  I think going unbeaten as great and historic as it was and continues to be, is achievable but 100 points in one of Europe's proper top leagues should be seen as a legendary feat.  There are many things I dislike about Pep but without a doubt he knows what he's doing, what he wants and he tries above all else to do it in style without conservatism.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me at least, the 100 points achieved is the greatest feat in the history of the English domestic game. When Guardiola achieved it with Barça some people were saying that he would never be able to even contemplate doing that in England... Here we have it!  This for me is much bigger than our "Invincibles" achievement.  I think going unbeaten as great and historic as it was and continues to be, is achievable but 100 points in one of Europe's proper top leagues should be seen as a legendary feat.  There are many things I dislike about Pep but without a doubt he knows what he's doing, what he wants and he tries above all else to do it in style without conservatism.

Also we have only been behind this season for a total of 153 minutes B|  ...shows how good this team is

5 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Also we have only been behind this season for a total of 153 minutes B|  ...shows how good this team is

The being behind at any moment scenario is meaningless as far as I'm concerned.  Infact nothing other that awe can be looked at as a context because it goes beyond a numbers stat which it is and with that is factual which gives the right to cite it.  When I say beyond anything is because AT NO MOMENT did Guardiola compromise what he believes in to achieve this. He didn't even look at the possibility of the unbeaten record because that would mean doing something he doesn't believe in which is called being conservative.  You could say that this has also been his downfall in the Champions League but with that it makes it all a lot more admirable. He will not be a traitor to what he believes football represents and how it should be reproduced... Believe in that or not, it's admirable (I repeat).  The 100 points achieved have come about with football that can be watched time and time again on videos because we were entertained.

I have always believed being able to over achieve when without a pot to piss in, in a sport which has become dominated by wealth, far outweighs anything the wealth enables a club-manager-players to conquer.

While City have broken records and achieved ground braking points totals, coupled with a style of football wetting some fans pants, for me what Sean Dyche has done this season with Burnley has to be highlighted at the news of this award.

I am starting to think there is something about Dyche which isnt obvious to the masses as he does not seem to get the credit he deserves or the opportunities at maybe the next level for him. Everton for instance. According to Dyche, not one conversation.

Maybe its a Big Sam thing? These "go too" guys when your crap fancy appointment has spent all your money and you need saving. Only for the big chop happen once he has saved you, because you don't want your club name associated with these guys?

Anyway, I digress.

For me what Sean Dyche has done this season at least equally warrents the City mangers achievements & I am sad at the shortsightedness of whoever made this decision.

With that said, congratulations to the City manager. His ability to get the Managerial jobs with the most cards in his favour to win things is something we all must admire & not forget when evaluating his managerial career.

We can always find ifs and buts in anything in life. Achievements are there to be made with a set of tools made available to attempt it with. Many have tried and failed with the same set of tools and many have also been victorious in admirable ways in achieving similar or equivalent feats without wetting pants.

If I head head hunt a top man or woman for the department where I work, he or she will demand the best tools and the best wages so as to provide me with what I am asking from him or her.  He or she could actually go to a small business starting off and lower his or her salary in the attempt to achieve something more ethical and worthy of magnificence.  In football we have a contemporary feat of sorts... "I Claudius made no more protests, what was the use of struggling against fate!"

Top people demand top wages and top jobs.  It's the way the cookie crumbles!

Demagoguery is an appeal to people that plays on their emotions and prejudices rather than on their rational side. Demagoguery is a manipulative approach — often associated with dictators and sleazy politicians — that appeals to the worst nature of people.

Archived