talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Claudio Ranieri Leaving Nantes

Claudio Ranieri will leave his position as coach of Nantes at the end of the season, the League 1 club announced on Thursday.

The 66-year-old was appointed last June on a two-year deal following the surprise departure of fans' favourite, Sergio Conceicao.

Nantes had been challenging for European qualification this season, but a recent run of one win their past eight league matches have seen them slip to 10th in the table.

Ranieri, who famously won the Premier League with Leicester in 2016, is one of the names being linked with the vacant manager's job at West Ham following the departure of David Moyes.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Ranieri supposedly lost interest and their form tumbled as a result. He did a number of things to piss the chairman off - namely playing Leo Dubois against Lyon (despite agreeing to sign for them, in a game that could dictate if he plays CL football next year or not) and missing the clubs anniversary to check a leak in his house in London.

I also have it on good authority that he spent more time in Italy than England during our title winning year. He was back for games obviously but he wasn't playing that big a part behind the scenes is what I've been told.

I honestly think he ought to just retire now. He was a part of something miraculous and I don't think he'll taste that success again.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

Ranieri supposedly lost interest and their form tumbled as a result. He did a number of things to piss the chairman off - namely playing Leo Dubois against Lyon (despite agreeing to sign for them, in a game that could dictate if he plays CL football next year or not) and missing the clubs anniversary to check a leak in his house in London.

I also have it on good authority that he spent more time in Italy than England during our title winning year. He was back for games obviously but he wasn't playing that big a part behind the scenes is what I've been told.

I honestly think he ought to just retire now. He was a part of something miraculous and I don't think he'll taste that success again.

Wouldn't you? England is a hovel in comparison to Italy.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

It seems at times that all sorts of methods are being used to discredit Ranieri's achievement in winning the title.  Strange that all of a sudden those that had more to do with winning the title suddenly went Pete tong.

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It seems at times that all sorts of methods are being used to discredit Ranieri's achievement in winning the title.  Strange that all of a sudden those that had more to do with winning the title suddenly went Pete tong.

I got told most of this actually during that season. It's one of those where I can't really explain how it worked so well because no logic dictates that it should've.

It really was all just a one in a million.

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

I got told most of this actually during that season. It's one of those where I can't really explain how it worked so well because no logic dictates that it should've.

It really was all just a one in a million.

You must know as well as I do that that's rubbish mate.  I've been told lots of stuff in my time also and the story tends to have a lot of swaying influences depending on what's going on from within.  So the players did it by themselves?  Because that's the only explanation!

Leicester's title win is referred to as a miracle, I use that terminology too, but we all know miracles don't exist.  It's true many planets aligned themselves into making it all possible, but all the same there was direction because this wasn't a cup victory, it's was the league title and that requires direction.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You must know as well as I do that that's rubbish mate.  I've been told lots of stuff in my time also and the story tends to have a lot of swaying influences depending on what's going on from within.  So the players did it by themselves?  Because that's the only explanation!

Leicester's title win is referred to as a miracle, I use that terminology too, but we all know miracles don't exist.  It's true many planets aligned themselves into making it all possible, but all the same there was direction because this wasn't a cup victory, it's was the league title and that requires direction.

It isn't rubbish. It's what happened. Apparently a big reason he was regularly in Italy is quite simply something I can't hold against him and that was to do with his seriously ill mother.

I don't discredit Ranieri for the title win but I wasn't happy that people were going on like he was the only reason it happened. He was one of many reasons.

There is a science behind the reason we won it, but the more time goes on the more confusing it becomes. I just think everything that really could've gone our way did, add to that we did in-fact have a super organised, super committed group of players. It's a shame seeing the way some of them perform nowadays.

Just now, Dan said:

It isn't rubbish. It's what happened. Apparently a big reason he was regularly in Italy is quite simply something I can't hold against him and that was to do with his seriously ill mother.

I don't discredit Ranieri for the title win but I wasn't happy that people were going on like he was the only reason it happened. He was one of many reasons.

There is a science behind the reason we won it, but the more time goes on the more confusing it becomes. I just think everything that really could've gone our way did, add to that we did in-fact have a super organised, super committed group of players. It's a shame seeing the way some of them perform nowadays.

It's not the first time and won't be the last where a coach guides a team to success and is absent quite a substantial amount of time.  I can cite Hector Cúper at Valencia who almost won La Liga, won the Copa del Rey and guided the side to two consecutive Champions League Finals.  Players even do the same like for example Dani Alves and Neymar playing in Paris spend most of their time in Barcelona.

All of that is meaningless...  A team doesn't win a league title without good management of the side.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's not the first time and won't be the last where a coach guides a team to success and is absent quite a substantial amount of time.  I can cite Hector Cúper at Valencia who almost won La Liga, won the Copa del Rey and guided the side to two consecutive Champions League Finals.  Players even do the same like for example Dani Alves and Neymar playing in Paris spend most of their time in Barcelona.

All of that is meaningless...  A team doesn't win a league title without good management of the side.

That's all true, and like I say, he played his part for sure. He used to regularly state that he didn't change much and maybe the genius was in that. I do however think some things fell his way as well - the most obvious example for me is that he didn't want Kante, who for me was the glue that held that side together. He had to be badgered every day to sign him and eventually he caved in. Thank god he did.

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

That's all true, and like I say, he played his part for sure. He used to regularly state that he didn't change much and maybe the genius was in that. I do however think some things fell his way as well - the most obvious example for me is that he didn't want Kante, who for me was the glue that held that side together. He had to be badgered every day to sign him and eventually he caved in. Thank god he did.

Without a doubt Ranieri's career as coach has been full of passionate decisions based on ridiculous situations only he knows what they meant. He was known as the "nearly man" both in Italy and Spain before he did the unthinkable of winning one of Europe's biggest leagues.  I can believe there's a bit of this and a bit of that although to discredit Ranieri's influence is madness in my opinion mate.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Without a doubt Ranieri's career as coach has been full of passionate decisions based on ridiculous situations only he knows what they meant. He was known as the "nearly man" both in Italy and Spain before he did the unthinkable of winning one of Europe's biggest leagues.  I can believe there's a bit of this and a bit of that although to discredit Ranieri's influence is madness in my opinion mate.

I'm not totally discrediting his influence. I keep saying this. I just never agreed with the people that said when he was sacked, you've sacked the sole reason it happened. It just wasn't the case.

It was a match made in heaven. I don't think we'd have done it without him and I don't think he'd have done it anywhere else.

I will say though most of those since the title win have covered themselves in any glory. I think it's to be expected in a way but we've lost all direction since it. There was a lot of sentimental rewarding rather than the clever planning there was beforehand.

Archived