talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Platini Admits to 'Trickery' For 1998 World Cup Draw

• Administrator

"A little trickery" was employed for the 1998 World Cup draw to ensure France and Brazil did not meet until the final, disgraced former Uefa president Michel Platini has claimed.

The French hosted and won their first World Cup 20 years ago, beating Brazil 3-0 in the final in Paris.

Former France captain Platini was on the tournament's organising committee.

"When we organised the schedule, we did a little trickery," he told radio station France Bleu Sport. 

"France-Brazil in the final, it was the dream of everyone.

"If we finished first in the group and Brazil finished first, we could not meet before the final."

He laughed as he went on: "We did not spend six years organising the World Cup to not do some little shenanigans. Do you think other World Cup hosts did not?"

Brazil and France were the top teams in the Fifa rankings heading into the tournament and were among the eight top-seeded teams.

Two days before the draw took take place, world governing body Fifa announced that holders Brazil would be allocated to Group A while France were in Group C.

It meant that if the two teams finished top they would be on opposite sides of the draw for the knockout stage.

Both made it through to the final at Stade de France where two goals from Zinedine Zidane and another from Emmanuel Petit gave the French a famous victory.

Platini and former Fifa counterpart Sepp Blatter were found guilty in 2015 of ethics breaches over a 2m Swiss Franc (£1.3m) "disloyal payment".

Platini was given an eight-year ban from all football-related activities - later reduced to four on appeal.

The 62-year-old has always maintained his innocence and in January it was reported he had taken the case to the European Court of Human Rights.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44170578

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The blatant cheating to help Korea advance in 2002 was comical.

Not comical for Italy first and Spain later on in that World Cup.

That particular situation for me was the most blatant in history, definitely the most obvious I have ever seen in my lifetime.  We're not talking about just a crap error ridden ref in one game, but a blatant manipulation of a tournament.

From that moment on I've always firmly believed that quite a lot in football (at the highest end) can be very dodgy where I am willing to believe almost anything.

On 20/05/2018 at 19:16, Cannabis said:

England vs. Portugal in Euro 2004 was without doubt the worst in recent times, worse than Korea 2002 and France 1998.

I think to be fair France would have won the 1998 world cup anyway. Interestingly  there was no sign of it in south africa

On 20/05/2018 at 19:05, The Artful Dodger said:

England in 66 was the same, it's gone on for generations.

One of the worst ones was 1954. Blatantly fixed so Hungary didn't win it. Two goals disaload and a offside Germany goal allowed. One thing about 66 that a lot of people forget is the Germany equaiser shouldn' have stood.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

And people thought it was outrageous and beyond belief that people called the Liverpool/Roma draw situation 'potentially suspicious'. 

He laughed as he went on: "We did not spend six years organising the World Cup to not do some little shenanigans. Do you think other World Cup hosts did not?"

The whole thing is a laughable fucking joke.... 

Archived