talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rank Your World Cup Teams

AKA who are England worse than?

Rough go below, wouldn't necessarily say we're better than Croatia, Uruguay or Colombia but on paper I've put as above them.

Dont rate Portugal massively but Ronaldo is the difference between being the worst European side to winning the World Cup

Argentina

France

Germany

Brazil

Belgium

Spain

Portugal

England

Croatia

Uruguay

Colombia

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argentina, aka the team that nearly choked qualifying for this World Cup, the team that choked the last World Cup final, the team that had possible the best two player selections in both the 2006 and and 2010 World Cups and the team that choked the last two Copa Americas? Yeah they are winning fuck all. Love you heaps, but you've got shite.

I'd put Uruguay and Croatia, head and shoulders above England, in nearly every department. Colombia perhaps equal.

• Subscriber

1. Germany

2. Brazil

3. France

4. Spain

5. Argentina

6. Belgium

7. Portugal

8. Uruguay

9. England

10. Croatia

11. Colombia

12. Denmark

13. Mexico

14. Poland

15. Sweden

16. Switzerland

17. Serbia

18. Nigeria

19. Peru

20. Iceland

21. Senegal

22. Japan

23. Egypt

24. Australia

25. Morocco

26. Tunisia

27. Costa Rica

28. Russia

29. South Korea

30. Iran  

31. Saudi Arabia

32. Panama

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Argentina, aka the team that nearly choked qualifying for this World Cup, the team that choked the last World Cup final, the team that had possible the best two player selections in both the 2006 and and 2010 World Cups and the team that choked the last two Copa Americas? Yeah they are winning fuck all. Love you heaps, but you've got shite.

I'd put Uruguay and Croatia, head and shoulders above England, in nearly every department. Colombia perhaps equal.

Croatia aren't head and shoulders over England, no chance. They are about equal if not a little worse. They are one of the most overrated teams on the planet.

Each to their own though.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

1. Germany

2. Brazil

3. France

4. Spain

5. Argentina

6. Belgium

7. Portugal

8. Uruguay

9. England

10. Croatia

11. Colombia

12. Denmark

13. Mexico

14. Poland

15. Sweden

16. Switzerland

17. Serbia

18. Nigeria

19. Peru

20. Iceland

21. Senegal

22. Japan

23. Egypt

24. Australia

25. Morocco

26. Tunisia

27. Costa Rica

28. Russia

29. South Korea

30. Iran  

31. Saudi Arabia

32. Panama

Think many are underestimating the Saudi's. I've seen a bit of them and they have a very complicated style of play. Very fast and technical and played in a tougher qualifying group than some Europeans. Not great of course but I wouldn't rank them second to bottom. Panama for me are by far the worst.

• Subscriber
Just now, Blue said:

Think many are underestimating the Saudi's. I've seen a bit of them and they have a very complicated style of play. Very fast and technical and played in a tougher qualifying group than some Europeans. Not great of course but I wouldn't rank them second to bottom. Panama for me are by far the worst.

I don't buy that bit. Asia's not that hard a qualifying group. I'll agree South America's harder than Europe but not Asia.

I'll admit I've not watched loads of them but I see them as a convenient opening game for the Russians. You can get 10/1 (11.00) on Saudi Arabia to beat them.

Just now, Dan said:

I don't buy that bit. Asia's not that hard a qualifying group. I'll agree South America's harder than Europe but not Asia.

I'll admit I've not watched loads of them but I see them as a convenient opening game for the Russians. You can get 10/1 (11.00) on Saudi Arabia to beat them.

I said qualifying group, not zone. They had Japan and Australia, that's tougher than the likes of Slovakia and San Marino, lets be completely fair.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Blue said:

I said qualifying group, not zone. They had Japan and Australia, that's tougher than the likes of Slovakia and San Marino, lets be completely fair.

Both Japan and Australia also qualified. Neither Slovakia or San Marino did.

Just now, Dan said:

Both Japan and Australia also qualified. Neither Slovakia or San Marino did.

I know, that was my point. Its not as hard to qualify from Asia as it is in Europe, but the group that Saudi Arabia had was tougher than some European groups.

I think someone like Japan can get out of Iceland's group for example, but not Portugal's.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Blue said:

I know, that was my point. Its not as hard to qualify from Asia as it is in Europe, but the group that Saudi Arabia had was tougher than some European groups.

I think someone like Japan can get out of Iceland's group for example, but not Portugal's.

I'm not sure Japan come through that group in all honesty. Saudi Arabia are in a handy position because they're one of the stronger teams in the continent and there's a bit of margin for error.

Basically the five in Asia that made it were the likely five.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'm not sure Japan come through that group in all honesty. Saudi Arabia are in a handy position because they're one of the stronger teams in the continent and there's a bit of margin for error.

Basically the five in Asia that made it were the likely five.

While I agree with that last sentence as everyone else in Asia are crap, the best teams are still a bit underrated. Australia struggled due to their own errors in this campaign but I'm not sold that the 5 sides that qualified can't make it out of any of the groups in Europe. That's just me though.

I'm just saying that they did have some competition.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Blue said:

While I agree with that last sentence as everyone else in Asia are crap, the best teams are still a bit underrated. Australia struggled due to their own errors in this campaign but I'm not sold that the 5 sides that qualified can't make it out of any of the groups in Europe. That's just me though.

I'm just saying that they did have some competition.

I'd be amazed if Saudi Arabia got out of the group Sweden were in for example.

I'm going off limited knowledge here but Sweden came through as tough a route as they could've asked for. France and Holland in the group stage and then Italy in the play-offs, and they came through the lot. A super effort that makes me think they're a dark horse to do well in this tournament. Respect their manager telling Zlatan where to go as well.

Just now, Dan said:

I'd be amazed if Saudi Arabia got out of the group Sweden were in for example.

I'm going off limited knowledge here but Sweden came through as tough a route as they could've asked for. France and Holland in the group stage and then Italy in the play-offs, and they came through the lot. A super effort that makes me think they're a dark horse to do well in this tournament. Respect their manager telling Zlatan where to go as well.

I don't think so either mate, but for example I'd fancy them to fight in Wales' group. They've gotten results against Japan and Australia, who I think are better teams than the Saudi's. Ireland are a hugely limited side that got shown up against an actual good side in Denmark, that's kind of where I'm getting at. 

Saudi Arabia are your typical Arab/Middle Eastern side. Very fast pace and very good on the dribble. Overall, not great quality and I don't want to make predictions yet by saying they are the second worst team, but even if they are, I think they aren't as bad as some give them credit for, which tells me how close the 32 teams are together. Well, 31 I would say. Panama are far below the rest.

Its tough to say at this point at least for me. Saudi Arabia definitely don't have the quality of someone like Serbia or Croatia, and while I'm not saying they are better, but I think you'd surely agree that those 2 lack work ethic and underachieve often.

1. France

2. Germany

3. Spain

4. Brazil

5. Argentina

6. Portugal

7. Belgium

8. Uruguay

9. Switzerland

10. Croatia

11. Colombia

12. Denmark

13. Engand

14. Mexico

15. Sweden

16. Poland

17. Serbia

18. Iceland

19. Peru

20. Nigeria

21. Senegal

22. Japan

23. Russia

24. Morocco

25. Egypt

26. Tunisia

27. Costa Rica

28. South Korea

29. Saudi arabia

30. Australia

31. Iran

32. Panama

27 minutes ago, Blue said:

Croatia aren't head and shoulders over England, no chance. They are about equal if not a little worse. They are one of the most overrated teams on the planet.

Each to their own though.

What position does England excel at that Croatia doesn't? What forward is a better target man than Mandzukic? What playmaker is better than Modric? What winger is better than Perisic? What fullback is better than Vrasjliko? Does England have a better goalie than Subasic? Actually I'll cede that England have better centre-halves than Croatia. England has Vardy and Kane. What midfield does England have? Hendo is good but he is a grafter, Alli is barely a midfielder, playing as more of a deep forward, and Loftus-Cheek is inexperienced right now. England literally has two central midfielders this tournament. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't think so either mate, but for example I'd fancy them to fight in Wales' group. They've gotten results against Japan and Australia, who I think are better teams than the Saudi's. Ireland are a hugely limited side that got shown up against an actual good side in Denmark, that's kind of where I'm getting at. 

Saudi Arabia are your typical Arab/Middle Eastern side. Very fast pace and very good on the dribble. Overall, not great quality and I don't want to make predictions yet by saying they are the second worst team, but even if they are, I think they aren't as bad as some give them credit for, which tells me how close the 32 teams are together. Well, 31 I would say. Panama are far below the rest.

Its tough to say at this point at least for me. Saudi Arabia definitely don't have the quality of someone like Serbia or Croatia, and while I'm not saying they are better, but I think you'd surely agree that those 2 lack work ethic and underachieve often.

I really don't know how they'd fare against Wales or Ireland to be honest, that was probably the most interesting group of the lot as there was no clear winner.

If Saudi Arabia aren't 31st, who are?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

What position does England excel at that Croatia doesn't? What forward is a better target man than Mandzukic? What playmaker is better than Modric? What winger is better than Perisic? What fullback is better than Vrasjliko? Does England have a better goalie than Subasic? Actually I'll cede that England have better centre-halves than Croatia. England has Vardy and Kane. What midfield does England have? Hendo is good but he is a grafter, Alli is barely a midfielder, playing as more of a deep forward, and Loftus-Cheek is inexperienced right now. England literally has two central midfielders this tournament. 

I often find Croatia flatter to deceive as well. While England notoriously do I actually think Southgate might actually be building something that's greater than the sum of its parts - and it's the first time in a long time I can say that about an England manager.

Croatia have some great players but Brian was right, they, and Serbia (and they're as bad as anyone for this) do under-achieve.

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

1. France

30. Australia

31. Iran

32. Panama

lmao France at number 1. What do they have? They don't have any leaders, and outside of Griezmann, Kante, and Giroud are full of international under performers. I expect nothing short of mediocrity from them. Just like 2010 and 2002. They'll do what France do best, lose. Won a rigged '98 WC, a rigged Champions League, and a Euros with only the best player alive at the time (platini). 

And Australia might actually do better than I thought. Some of the boys are coming off very solid seasons. A win against Peru and a draw against Les Noires or the Danes and I'd be a happy man.

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

I often find Croatia flatter to deceive as well. While England notoriously do I actually think Southgate might actually be building something that's greater than the sum of its parts - and it's the first time in a long time I can say that about an England manager.

Croatia have some great players but Brian was right, they, and Serbia (and they're as bad as anyone for this) do under-achieve.

I do believe England have a brighter future than Croatia but that midfield is almost (if not worse) than Croatia's defence. 

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

I really don't know how they'd fare against Wales or Ireland to be honest, that was probably the most interesting group of the lot as there was no clear winner.

If Saudi Arabia aren't 31st, who are?

To be honest, I think we'll see that at the World Cup. Perhaps now its totally fair to keep them there, but I feel they aren't far below your Japan or your Australia, where as someone like Panama I can tell you now are by far the worst.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

lmao France at number 1. What do they have? They don't have any leaders, and outside of Griezmann, Kante, and Giroud are full of international under performers. I expect nothing short of mediocrity from them. Just like 2010 and 2002. They'll do what France do best, lose. Won a rigged '98 WC, a rigged Champions League, and a Euros with only the best player alive at the time (platini). 

And Australia might actually do better than I thought. Some of the boys are coming off very solid seasons. A win against Peru and a draw against Les Noires or the Danes and I'd be a happy man.

It's just my opinion of the teams on paper. And Australia will probably beat Peru in a shithouse grindy game where Peru have more chances but Aus win through set pieces and crosses. We've seen it before. But no chance against France and Denmark with it all to play for.

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It's just my opinion of the teams on paper. And Australia will probably beat Peru in a shithouse grindy game where Peru have more chances but Aus win through set pieces and crosses. We've seen it before. But no chance against France and Denmark with it all to play for.

The French are divas and have no balls, they'd walk into the match croissant in hand, and their wive's boyfriends watching, with a bucketful of arrogance as strong as Bordeaux wine. By all rights they should smash Australia 8-0 but the French are wankers. I expect worse from the Danes.

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That sounds like a classic Australia win and a classic Peru loss! xD

I'm confident we will beat the Aussies though. At least at the time of writing, anyways.

• Subscriber

France do have a shocking tournament in their locker to be fair. They've got some super players but I don't think they'll win the whole thing.

I think Spain go well under the radar. They could win it.

Archived