talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nabil Fekir - Signs for Real Betis

It’s don’t think it’s  whether his knee will go at anytime. It’s down to the diminishing of cartilage that will occur as seasons progress, which will likely lead to arthritis and early retirement. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Are you suggesting our medical team were lying then? Or simply incompetent? 

A club like Real Betis might be willing to take a risk on a good player with a dodgy knee but there is a reason none of the top clubs have gone anywhere near since we did a medical on him. 

Seriously mate, I dont see a reason why our medical team would lie about his knee, or why any of us would think that we know better. 

His knee could go at any time which is the reason we didn't sign him, it's pretty much that simple. 

I'm not saying that any of that. Yes, there is an issue there. I'm not denying that. But is it an issue that could affect him long term like Cicero said and lead him to early retirement, or is it something that could go at any time. 

Fully appreciate the club not wanting to spend 60m on a player who may break down slowly, therefore not retaining any sort of resale value. I get that and agree with it completely.

BUT for 20m....even if you get three very good years out of him before some issues start creeping in,  I'd take the risk on it. He can't expect high wages in the predicament he's in, and let's not pretend he isn't an excellent player because he bloody well is. He could help our squad hugely and I for one would have rolled the dice at that price. 

Appreciate not everybody agrees, and I'm not saying you're wrong for not wanting to either.

Just now, Cicero said:

It’s don’t think it’s  whether his knee will go at anytime. It’s down to the diminishing of cartilage that will occur as seasons progress, which will likely lead to arthritis and early retirement. 

No it's not. The medical report was that the muscle, cartlidge, ligaments etc were covered in weak scar tissue due to an operation he had which was done on the cheap (to rush him back in simpler terms).

Our medical team said that his knee could give way at any time and as such the deal was called off. 

We had done the PR shite and everything when he was going to join us, then came the medical. I dont know why people with absolutely no knowledge of the situation would think that they know better than an expert in this field?

Its proper bizarre xD

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

No it's not. The medical report was that the muscle, cartlidge, ligaments etc were covered in weak scar tissue due to an operation he had which was done on the cheap (to rush him back in simpler terms).

Our medical team said that his knee could give way at any time and as such the deal was called off. 

We had done the PR shite and everything when he was going to join us, then came the medical. I dont know why people with absolutely no knowledge of the situation would think that they know better than an expert in this field?

Its proper bizarre xD

Where are these medical reports? I've never seen them. Were you in the room, are you the head practitioner? I've not seen the exact issue with his knee anywhere. Just the vague reasons that the club put out publically. 

If you're right, and those were the results of the medical then I am 100% on board with not signing him. You think I'd be suggesting we ignore something that could happen at any moment? Come on mate.

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'm not saying that any of that. Yes, there is an issue there. I'm not denying that. But is it an issue that could affect him long term like Cicero said and lead him to early retirement, or is it something that could go at any time. 

Fully appreciate the club not wanting to spend 60m on a player who may break down slowly, therefore not retaining any sort of resale value. I get that and agree with it completely.

BUT for 20m....even if you get three very good years out of him before some issues start creeping in,  I'd take the risk on it. He can't expect high wages in the predicament he's in, and let's not pretend he isn't an excellent player because he bloody well is. He could help our squad hugely and I for one would have rolled the dice at that price. 

Appreciate not everybody agrees, and I'm not saying you're wrong for not wanting to either.

I get what you're saying mate but I'm pretty sure every bit of research went into the decision not to sign him, and not to go back for him at the reduced cost. 

Like you say, hes a great little player.... but hes a great little player that none of the top clubs are willing to touch after our medical report. 

That should tell you everything really.

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Its proper bizarre xD

Because 99% of the time, the tendon used to replace the torn ACL is stronger than the original. Being a hamstring or patellar graft. It’s only in extreme circumstances it would tear again. Very extreme and rare.  I’ve torn my ACL and I know from the research I’ve done and experience. 

The tear itself can also leave meniscus damage as well. That cannot be replaced or repaired, merely trimmed off, and overuse of the knee after a tear can diminish the remaining meniscus cartilage. From what I’ve read, That is Fekir’s case

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I get what you're saying mate but I'm pretty sure every bit of research went into the decision not to sign him, and not to go back for him at the reduced cost. 

Like you say, hes a great little player.... but hes a great little player that none of the top clubs are willing to touch after our medical report. 

That should tell you everything really.

Yeah, if City or Spurs or a Champions League regular from Spain, Italy or Germany were taking a risk on him I'd be questioning why we weren't in for him at that price but it's a mid table club in Spain so I don't think any of us can question this one from Liverpool's point of view

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Because 99% of the time, the tendon used to replace the torn ACL is stronger than the original. Being a hamstring or patellar graft. It’s only in extreme circumstances it would tear again. Very extreme and rare.  I’ve torn my ACL and I know from the research I’ve done and experience. 

The tear itself can also leave meniscus damage as well. That cannot be replaced or repaired, merely trimmed off, and overuse of the knee after a tear can diminish the remaining meniscus cartilage. From what I’ve read, That is Fekir’s case

After an ACL repair, isn't the other knee at risk for another injury (not necessarily another ACL) - but from your body subconsciously putting more weight on your knee that didn't have the injury while you're active?

I've got no idea if that's true, but I remember hearing that somewhere once sometime regarding knee injuries.

26 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Plenty of top players have been signed by top clubs after an ACL injury, that's not debatable. 

Our medical team however deemed Fekir's knee to be too much of a risk, even at a reduced fee and it seems all the top clubs that were previously interested in him feel the same. 

I would have liked us to have signed Fekir for what it's worth but I totally trust the decision made by the experts is probably the right one. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

After an ACL repair, isn't the other knee at risk for another injury (not necessarily another ACL) - but from your body subconsciously putting more weight on your knee that didn't have the injury while you're active?

I've got no idea if that's true, but I remember hearing that somewhere once sometime regarding knee injuries.

It bodes down to not having enough muscle built up during rehab. After ACL surgery, you lose a tremendous amount of muscle on your quads, glutes , and hamstring. If you don’t work to get that strength back, you can damage your knee, particularly the one you didn’t tear the ACL on. 

It happened to me too. I call it the Owen Hargreaves symptom. Tore my right ACL. After rehab, didn’t build enough muscle in my legs and went straight back to footy. I know have patellar tendinitis on my left knee. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

It bodes down to not having enough muscle built up during rehab. After ACL surgery, you lose a tremendous amount of muscle on your quads, glutes , and hamstring. If you don’t work to get that strength back, you can damage your knee, particularly the one you didn’t tear the ACL on. 

It happened to me too. I call it the Owen Hargreaves symptom. Tore my right ACL. After rehab, didn’t build enough muscle in my legs and went straight back to footy. I know have patellar tendinitis on my left knee. 

I upvoted that for the explanation, not because you've fucked your knees up - just for the record 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I upvoted that for the explanation, not because you've fucked your knees up - just for the record 

It’s why it bothered me when people gave Hargreaves so much stick. How he was never fit.

Bayern/United rushed him back playing after he broke his leg, when he didn’t build enough muscle. It caused him to have chronic patellar tendinitis on both knees. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I dont think Fekir's situation is because of poor rehab etc. By all accounts his knee is weak because of the surgery he had at the time. Apparently it was a bit of a bodge job to rush him back which has caused even more damage/scar tissue. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

I dont think Fekir's situation is because of poor rehab etc. By all accounts his knee is weak because of the surgery he had at the time. Apparently it was a bit of a bodge job to rush him back which has caused even more damage/scar tissue. 

I think Fekir’s situation is that his ACL injury also led to severe tearing/scarring on his meniscus. It can’t be repaired, and it will continue to ‘wear and tear’ the more he plays, leading him to arthritis. 

You don’t have to agree, but Thats my take on it.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think Fekir’s situation is that his ACL injury also led to severe tearing/scarring on his meniscus. It can’t be repaired, and it will continue to ‘wear and tear’ the more he plays, leading him to arthritis. 

You don’t have to agree, but Thats my take on it.

All I know is that there must have been a damn good reason why we pulled out of a deal to sign him at the very last minute having known full well beforehand of his previous injury, and that absolutely no top club has gone anywhere near after our findings. 

Anyway fuck it.... Milner is better anyway :coffee:

31 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

All I know is that there must have been a damn good reason why we pulled out of a deal to sign him at the very last minute having known full well beforehand of his previous injury, and that absolutely no top club has gone anywhere near after our findings. 

Anyway fuck it.... Milner is better anyway :coffee:

They play totally different positions though xD

Archived