talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nabil Fekir - Signs for Real Betis

Yeah gambles that have failed don't mean there was no ambition. I just don't think Chelsea really have a cohesive plan. And the culture at Chelsea, where you know players can just play within themselves unless it's a big match (which we saw at the tail end of last season) because they know they'll be safe & the manager is fucked, certainly doesn't help for planning in the future.

But it's not like all of the top 6 aren't looking to build on their previous seasons. And in recent seasons you were champions - so your squad is most likely better than it demonstrated this season.

Spending money doesn't create some god given right to win the league, otherwise Leeds wouldn't have had such an unpleasant recent history.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Poor spending doesn't equal lack of ambition, rather that your recent managers and scouts etc are getting it wrong. The money is still there. 

Didn't you lot spunk £65-£70m on Morata? See, that is showing ambition but money just being spent poorly by those charged with looking after transfers.

But that just goes back to my intital post. That Ambition and Competence go hand in hand. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

But that just goes back to my intital post. That Ambition and Competence go hand in hand. 

They're not mutually exclusive.

Newcastle's board was not ambitious, but competence on the pitch got them to a 10th place spot. Everton were ambitious when they spent fuckloads of money in the summer, but they weren't competent and that's why they ended up with a million #10s and played dogshite football all season even with a manager swap.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They're not mutually exclusive.

Newcastle's board was not ambitious, but competence on the pitch got them to a 10th place spot. Everton were ambitious when they spent fuckloads of money in the summer, but they weren't competent and that's why they ended up with a million #10s and played dogshite football all season even with a manager swap.

If a club wants to be ambitious, there needs to be competence with their signings. City were, were weren't. 

• Subscriber

Two things I seem to notice the more videos I watch of this guy are how alert he is in situations when things go wrong. Most players are trotting (maybe its League 1) but he's a little faster to recover from situations his team has lost the ball in. The other is how he just muscles people off the ball when he's getting pushed down corridors. Maybe he will amount to nothing if he comes or he'll work his way in like Firmino and Roberston but we have to wait and see how the transfer goes first.

• The title was changed to Nabil Fekir - Lyon to Liverpool?
  • Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lyon-finally-indicate-allow-nabil-12658388?3

Here it's saying that Fekir's indicated he only wants to go to Liverpool - obviously great news for us. The problem is now getting Lyon to agree on a price. Apparently we're some way off in the valuation.

Am I reading the end of that right? Shaqiri is a Liverpool target too?

Just now, Mel81x said:

Am I reading the end of that right? Shaqiri is a Liverpool target too?

Yup. That's been said by a number of pretty well trusted LFC journalists now - Maddock, Reddy, and Joyce. Not sure how I feel about it - we need depth, but I also think he's a bit shit. Having said that, it seems like each year Klopp likes to sign a relegated player and rehabilitate them and I don't think Gini and Robertson have been poor signings at all.

But the news that Fekir's got his heart set on a move to us as long as we can agree a fee is also being reported by the same journos too. So that's comforting.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yup. That's been said by a number of pretty well trusted LFC journalists now - Maddock, Reddy, and Joyce. Not sure how I feel about it - we need depth, but I also think he's a bit shit. Having said that, it seems like each year Klopp likes to sign a relegated player and rehabilitate them and I don't think Gini and Robertson have been poor signings at all.

But the news that Fekir's got his heart set on a move to us as long as we can agree a fee is also being reported by the same journos too. So that's comforting.

From the numbers reported its around 12M for Shaqiri so I can't see that being too bad a purchase as he turns up now and then. And you're right about the comfort of knowing Fekir wants to come to Anfield but this is still the negotiation phase so we shall see. I just hope we close it before the WC not after because we all know how the WC inflates everyone's price-tag

20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In terms of pure talent I think Shaqiri is class, just needs to be consistent. Feel like Klopp could get that out of him.

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Have to say I am a bit jealous. That is three massive signings for Liverpool and clearly upgrade the team, all before the world cup. 

It's like you've gone back to 2009/2010 and swapped places. Liverpool getting shit done, spending big on big names and Chelsea faffing around with the manager and board at odds, trying to sort out failed signings from the previous year.

Still think Liverpool need another decent centre back and goalie to be title challengers.

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's like you've gone back to 2009/2010 and swapped places. Liverpool getting shit done, spending big on big names and Chelsea faffing around with the manager and board at odds, trying to sort out failed signings from the previous year.

Still think Liverpool need another decent centre back and goalie to be title challengers.

Another attacker too for me

Liverpool fans too scared to let go of their privileged "we're a big club that spend a lot but don't expect us to win anything" status. :coffee:

You've spent the title challenge money. If you don't win the title then your target wasn't achieved. You've failed. We say the same about Man Utd when they spend a lot and it should be the case for Liverpool as well.

26 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Liverpool fans too scared to let go of their privileged "we're a big club that spend a lot but don't expect us to win anything" status. :coffee:

You've spent the title challenge money. If you don't win the title then your target wasn't achieved. You've failed. We say the same about Man Utd when they spend a lot and it should be the case for Liverpool as well.

Someone's getting arsey 🙄

36 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Yep, cracked the top 4 two seasons in a row and our board has the ambition to try and kick on further.

Jealous?

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yep, cracked the top 4 two seasons in a row and our board has the ambition to try and kick on further.

Jealous?

You're the first Liverpool fan acknowledging that you're now going up a level to compete for the title. Everyone else is on a "we're not ready yet, we don't have enough, no expectations please" campaign.

Liverpool are putting together a very good side with a lot of money and should be in the race next season. That's all I'm saying. I'm praising Liverpool.

• The title was changed to Nabil Fekir - Liverpool Transfer Off?
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived