talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nabil Fekir - Signs for Real Betis

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

His knee is fucked which is why we didn't conclude the deal months ago. Severe scar tissue was highlighted on an old ACL injury during the medical we carried out meaning we could barely get him insured. 

Good player but another long term injury waiting to happen. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

We seem to love buying players injured. Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Barkley, Emerson, Giroud. 

Doubt our board will care xD

You also signed Remy after he failed a medical with us xD

As well as his risk of future injuries, it's not a sure thing he'll make the step up from Ligue 1 successfully. For the money Lyon want, he's just too much of a gamble.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 9 months later...
On 13/07/2019 at 14:59, 6666 said:

O.o

What a difference a year make. It seems like Fekir is indeed going to Betis, fee around 22-25 million euros, the transfer will be completed once Lo Celso is sold. 

I´m not sure if this is a good step for Fekir. Lyon is a much more important club in the french football context than Betis is in the spanish, not to mention the fact they play in the Champions League. 

With the Euro around the corner, I think he should bet in himself to have a huge season at OL, impress Deschamps and get more minutes at the french national team, and then raising his stock for a bigger move.

36 minutes ago, Rick said:

Very very bizarre sideways step.

Lyon to Real Betis seems like a bit of a backwards step for me. Lyon aren't getting that much money for him either compared to how things usually go with Lyon. Weird deal overall.

11 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Lyon to Real Betis seems like a bit of a backwards step for me. Lyon aren't getting that much money for him either compared to how things usually go with Lyon. Weird deal overall.

His knee is fucked, everyone knows it. Lyon trying to get rid as soon as possible. 

Honestly, its like some people (not necessarily you) are totally ignoring the medical we carried out on him exactly 12 months ago which showed that his knee was a ticking time bomb. Some of our fans still wanted us to actually sign him ffs :what:

In football right now, it seems as though Barcelona, Real Madrid and Man City are in for every single big name player out there and the players who aren't wanted by those are wanted by Liverpool, Spurs, Man United and Arsenal. Anyone who can kick a ball better than your average player is wanted by these clubs. Do people not think football is getting massively dull due to this? That and VAR are a reason why football is currently at the worst it's ever been. Him staying at Lyon or going to a club like a Newcastle or a Real Betis isn't the worst thing in the world for the sport. It keeps talent spread out more and makes the sport more competitive.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

In football right now, it seems as though Barcelona, Real Madrid and Man City are in for every single big name player out there and the players who aren't wanted by those are wanted by Liverpool, Spurs, Man United and Arsenal. Anyone who can kick a ball better than your average player is wanted by these clubs. Do people not think football is getting massively dull due to this? That and VAR are a reason why football is currently at the worst it's ever been. Him staying at Lyon or going to a club like a Newcastle or a Real Betis isn't the worst thing in the world for the sport. It keeps talent spread out more and makes the sport more competitive.

It's the nature of capitalism. You hoard all you can and try starve your competitors until you are left with only the huge monopolies left. In that sense football clubs are not so different from Amazon, Apple etc. And football is much the worse for it.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Agree on this. More competition is always healthy for the sport and I think that's a good indicative of how balanced a sport really is. If everyone went to the big clubs it would get rather dull and boring. I think UEFA or someone needs to step in and offer some kind of transfer locking that doesn't allow clubs to spend beyond X in a transfer window otherwise this could potentially get really out of hand (not like it hasn't already)

3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Is it just football right now?

It's sort of been like this for as long as I've been alive. In my lifetime:

• Bayern Munich have always been the big side in Germany that is consistently good
  • The Premier League had been mostly dominated by two clubs for a very long time: Arsenal and Manchester United, with other title winners coming in usually by having a sugar daddy owner - and using his money to set up their own reigns of dominance (Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City), and then the one weird winner with Leicester one time
  • Scottish football, as far as I know has mostly been Ranger & Celtic winning each year. And then Rangers went and financially cut their balls off and are now a faded force while Celtic have the run of Scotland pretty much...
  • Spanish football for most of my life has been Barca & Real Madrid dominating the league, Atletico sometimes competing
  • French football... I remember Marseille and Lyon being pretty dominant, but overall I actually think the French league was more balanced, with sides like Monaco and I remember recently there was a surprise winner nobody expected (I forget who though). At least up until PSG got their oil money, so I guess that league is where it's most obvious - but again, it's not really anything that we hadn't seen in say England. It's just they're financially so much better off than their opponents that they're in a different class to the rest of the league
  • Dutch football... Ajax dominated and sometimes PSV is very good
  • Turkish football... Galatasaray and Fenerbache?
  • Italian football - Juve's always been consistently strong as fuck, and that league was most competitive when they were the big money league.

Last year with Seri being linked with top clubs all around the continent and then signing with Fulham (and looking utter dogshite all season) is probably a reason why players are less inclined to make the move to lower profile clubs where they're surrounded by dross (although I don't think Seri can really escape how poor his own performances were last season).

I think the only difference now is that our league is so incredibly wasteful with the ridiculous amount of money it has, and clubs like PSG and the other super wealthy clubs have inflated the transfer market to where when good players do move... it's really only the clubs with a shitload of money to spend that are going to be making the big signings. I don't think the transfer market is sustainable like that and there will be a breaking point at some reason.

But considering that football leagues have historically been dominated by bigger clubs, I think we'll probably continue to see that for as long as we've been alive. That's why when we get new title winners, especially ones like Leicester where it's something nobody really ever would have imaged at the start of the season, it's always going to be pretty special. As they broke that period of dominance, and in Leicester's case (and that French club I can't remember)... beating a lot of richer and more powerful clubs to win it all.

There's definitely less parity than in the "older days" of football, but ever since TV money took over the sport there's been less and less parity as the years go on.

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

His knee is fucked, everyone knows it. Lyon trying to get rid as soon as possible. 

Honestly, its like some people (not necessarily you) are totally ignoring the medical we carried out on him exactly 12 months ago which showed that his knee was a ticking time bomb. Some of our fans still wanted us to actually sign him ffs :what:

It's weird how we went a full season without a fucking issue with that knee and still hasn't....maybe it's gonna be an issue years down the line, but as of right now the lad is fit. 

Real Betis are not stupid enough to pay decent money for a player who is at risk of having a serious serious issue at any moment. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

It's weird how we went a full season without a fucking issue with that knee and still hasn't....maybe it's gonna be an issue years down the line, but as of right now the lad is fit. 

Real Betis are not stupid enough to pay decent money for a player who is at risk of having a serious serious issue at any moment. 

I mean it looks like a fraction of what the fee was going to be last year...

The thing about being afraid of a risk is... there's a chance that what you're afraid of won't happen. But we're a club where we've got a few players with injury issues in the past (Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lovren, and even Matip - who did remain fairly healthy for most of the season). I can understand why we'd be apprehensive about a big fee and big wages on a player the medical staff deems risky after a player like Sturridge - who hardly got to play because of injury after a massive contract extension.

At a lesser fee, like the reported fee Betis are paying, and probably on lower wages than he'd be getting with us, it's much less of a risky move for them.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Are you suggesting our medical team were lying then? Or simply incompetent? 

A club like Real Betis might be willing to take a risk on a good player with a dodgy knee but there is a reason none of the top clubs have gone anywhere near since we did a medical on him. 

Seriously mate, I dont see a reason why our medical team would lie about his knee, or why any of us would think that we know better. 

His knee could go at any time which is the reason we didn't sign him, it's pretty much that simple. 

Archived