talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matthijs de Ligt - Juventus Complete Signing of Dutch Defender

38 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Clair Todibo. He is a great prospect but de Ligt at 19 is a phenomenon. This is a one off in the correct environment.

Barcelona are morons. Why purchase Todibo if they are wanking over de Ligt? Idiots, stupid, morons! It is like the club philosphy is to do what Real Madrid does but worse.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Spike said:

Barcelona are morons. Why purchase Todibo if they are wanking over de Ligt? Idiots, stupid, morons! It is like the club philosphy is to do what Real Madrid does but worse.

They've been known to be in for de Ligt for auite some time now but it's only this season where the young Dutchman has been absolutely astounding. In my opinion along with his teammate de Jong, the best two young footballers on the planet this year. Both are special like for example when Mbappé burst onto the scene... Because of the way Ajax play, it's a blind purchase in this case.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Spike said:

Morons why?

If Todibo isn't ready to play in the first XI or for the squad at the moment, but Barca realise there's a lot of potential there, why not buy him and stop other big clubs getting to him (I believe they attempted this with Asensio but Real Madrid got in ahead).

Pique can be partnered straight away with De Ligt, then in 2-3 years when Pique gets older and probably not good enough any more, Todibo may be able to come in by which time De Ligt will be the 'senior' defender despite his age but that's just given his talent these days.

It's just strategy of a big club, no? Not every player that is ever bought, especially at a young age, is always ready to go straight in to the side. If anything, it's good planning to get a player with decent potential in so that they're prepared for when an older player decides to call it a day. It's something Barca seemingly failed to do correctly when Puyol left. Apart from Pique, no one has ever really replaced the colossus that was Puyol. Call it stupid, but maybe it's purchasing a quality player like De Ligt as well as another one for the future in Todibo learning a lesson?

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Morons why?

If Todibo isn't ready to play in the first XI or for the squad at the moment, but Barca realise there's a lot of potential there, why not buy him and stop other big clubs getting to him (I believe they attempted this with Asensio but Real Madrid got in ahead).

Pique can be partnered straight away with De Ligt, then in 2-3 years when Pique gets older and probably not good enough any more, Todibo may be able to come in by which time De Ligt will be the 'senior' defender despite his age but that's just given his talent these days.

It's just strategy of a big club, no? Not every player that is ever bought, especially at a young age, is always ready to go straight in to the side. If anything, it's good planning to get a player with decent potential in so that they're prepared for when an older player decides to call it a day. It's something Barca seemingly failed to do correctly when Puyol left. Apart from Pique, no one has ever really replaced the colossus that was Puyol. Call it stupid, but maybe it's purchasing a quality player like De Ligt as well as another one for the future in Todibo learning a lesson?

That's exactly right in my view too. Barcelona actually tried to sign de Ligt last summer with the offer to Ajax of loaning de Ligt to them for two years (this season and next). But Raiola got involved (according to Overmars) and the deal was broken.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Morons why?

Because more often than not it is a supreme waste of money. How many times have young players been bought and not panned out because the club has spent even more money on a garuanteed starter? It happens all the time and it's silly, why bother stockpiling 17 year olds when they aren't even being used? Why trigger Lenglet's release clause!?

They spent so much on Dembele and Malcom for instance, for what purpose? To be replaced in the XI by Griezmann? It is all just poor foresight. You say it's learning a lesson but look at what happened with Thiago when they couldn't garuantee game time.

Chelsea - Kevin de Bruyne, wouldn't play him, so he left for greener pastures. Inter Milan - Bonucci, Man Utd - Pogba, etc

Really, I just think it is bad practice to stockpile young players for depth positions. Look at Madrid, Asensio, Brahim, Odriozola, Llorente, Reguillon, Ceballos, Valverde, and Vallejo should all play more than they do. Depth players should be players like Nacho, and Arbeloa; not players in developement.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Really, I just think it is bad practice to stockpile young players for depth positions. Look at Madrid, Asensio, Brahim, Odriozola, Llorente, Reguillon, Ceballos, Valverde, and Vallejo should all play more than they do. Depth players should be players like Nacho, and Arbeloa; not players in developement.

I do agree with you fundamentally in all that. The players you have mentioned should all be playing professional football but there are cases you've used with Barcelona at least where those players have been playing.

Dembélé is and should be a starter. When he hasn't started it's for two reasons... First reason is injuries and it's been learned that over half of his injuries to date are due to a bad diet which he consumes on his own time. Second reason for not playing is when he's been punished for ill discipline like feining sicknesses so as to not train for example or his favourite one which is turning up late to training by over an hour.

Lenglet has played a ton of games this sesson. Infact when Umtiti got injured he never managed to win his place back after being called fit to play by the medical team.

Todibo is the case you're talking about and he arrived with that knowledge unfortunately. It is why the other day I said that Barça signing Venezuela's great young keeper would be an error on his part to say yes just to have Barça on his cv because he would be going in the knowledge that he'd be Ter Stegen's understudy. This shows that I agree with you mate, it's all there in the Barcelona thread.

Those Real Madrid youngsters that have been signed is a case to answer for and it has nothing to do with bias. They hardly play, only do when there is a series of injuries to the usual suspects.

De Jong who is very young knows he will be playing and De Ligt knows this too... I think he'll be put right in if he does things right in pre-season (that's if he does even sign for Barcelona).

Malcom was a mistake because Barcelona don't play natural wingers as they use their full-backs for that historically. Coutinho who isn't a teenager is a mistake and waste of money because it was an error of judgement that he'd fit into how the team plays and not because he's crap, quite the opposite.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I'm fully expecting him to go to City. They have deep pockets and are looking to replace their CB and captain.

City have major FFP issues and unless they mess around with what they've got first, then I doubt it. They need to get onto their sister club across the English Channel to find out how to get out of that mess. Knowing who to grease is ultimately the most important thing in these events.

16 hours ago, Rick said:

I'd absolutely love us to sneak this.

I don't see us blowing most of our budget on one of the strongest areas in the squad. Don't forget Liverpool have Ki-Jana Hoever also coming through who I'm sure Klopp will be keen to develop over the next few years.

Just now, LFCMike said:

I don't see us blowing most of our budget on one of the strongest areas in the squad. Don't forget Liverpool have Ki-Jana Hoever also coming through who I'm sure Klopp will be keen to develop over the next few years.

True enough. Just DeLigt is looking like one of those once in a generation players, be nice if we got him. But you're right, I wouldn't want to see most the budget used on him. 

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Hoever was quality in the Euro under 17 tournament which The Netherlands just won.

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

True enough. Just DeLigt is looking like one of those once in a generation players, be nice if we got him. But you're right, I wouldn't want to see most the budget used on him. 

Yeah I can see why people would want him and the three who have partnered Van Dijk this season have all had their injury problems since they joined. I suppose there's a possibility that Lovren leaves this summer, in which case we'll look a bit short there but I don't think we'll be spending that much on a replacement.

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Hoever was quality in the Euro under 17 tournament which The Netherlands just won.

Yeah heard only promising things about him. Where did he play in that tournament? I know he's supposed to be primarily a CB but has played a lot at RB for the U18s/U23s at Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah heard only promising things about him. Where did he play in that tournament? I know he's supposed to be primarily a CB but has played a lot at RB for the U18s/U23s at Liverpool.

He played at right back, also he took some cracking freekicks. 

4 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Without wanting to continue to take this thread on its journey off topic, if the Netherlands manage to find a serious goalscorer in the next two to three years, they will finally win the World Cup. The generation that's emerged when it all looked like doom only 18 months ago aren't just something good... There are very special players in the most important positions that bring you glory if coached correctly and with bravery.

4 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Interesting to see whether Klopp thinks he needs to go out and sign a RB as a back up to TAA this summer then or he starts introducing Hoever to the first team at RB if Gomez isn't available.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Without wanting to continue to take this thread on its journey off topic, if the Netherlands manage to find a serious goalscorer in the next two to three years, they will finally win the World Cup. The generation that's emerged when it all looked like doom only 18 months ago aren't just something good... There are very special players in the most important positions that bring you glory if coached correctly and with bravery.

Yes very true, you need a spine with leaders and it seems like we have that now de Ligt and van Dijk who probably are the best centre back pairing in the world, also we have a strong midfield now with again a player that control the game Frenkie de Jong.  it would help the National team if some of the guys would play together, that is why de Ligt should really go to Barca.

Matthijs de Ligt is currently enjoying his holidays in Barcelona of all places and last night he was interviewed by the Dutch press due to having been awarded the Dutch Player Of The Year Award. Amongst other things the main questions being asked were as to where he would be plying his trade next season and he only answered the question once with this;

”I don’t know where I will be next season but obviously I want it resolved as soon as possible. But I’d love to continue to play with my friend Frenkie (de Jong) as we have a great understanding and I’ve made no secret of my preferences from the start.”

De Jong signed for Barcelona 2 months ago and is also holidaying in Barcelona right now.

On 20/05/2019 at 04:32, Panna King said:

He's supposed to be one of the players Klopp's got plans for getting more first team football next season.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Ajax have received an official offer now from Juventus for the sum of 85 million Euros. I am pretty sure they have something set up with his agent as Juventus always do when they deal with Mino Raiola.

Barcelona came to an agreement with the player 3 months ago but Raiola has said he’s now worth more and as things stand Barça have said there will be no more renegotiating. 

As far as I know all Dutch legends have been publicly recommending de Ligt (via the media) to sign for Barcelona if he wants to leave Ajax this summer. They say it’s his best career option.

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Barcelona came to an agreement with the player 3 months ago but Raiola has said he’s now worth more and as things stand Barça have said there will be no more renegotiating. 

As far as I know all Dutch legends have been publicly recommending de Ligt (via the media) to sign for Barcelona if he wants to leave Ajax this summer. They say it’s his best career option.

I agree 100% Dutch footballers in Italy do not work anymore in the modern game the styles does not match.  

• The title was changed to Matthijs de Ligt - Juventus Complete Signing of Dutch Defender

Archived