talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matthijs de Ligt - Juventus Complete Signing of Dutch Defender

11 hours ago, UNORTHODOX said:

If he's smart he woukd choose Liverpool, We're building something big here and he will have Virgil beside him who he knows inside out from playing in the national team together.

not even being biased here i think the Liverpool move would be a fantastic 1 for him.

It would be great for him but I think not so much for us nor for Gomez who'd essentially need to find a new club if it happened.

For us the downside would be a diversion from spending to reinforce the attack, and finding a better backup option than Sturridge or Origi, maybe even an upgrade on Firmino. Also likely to need a backup fullback with Clyne and Moreno both leaving. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the club are worried about Gomez's injury record? Two bad injuries at a young age, maybe he's one of this injury prone players...maybe not. In an ideal world he doesn't have anymore bad injuries and continues to perform at a great level but let's get real...we can't rely on on him. If we have the chance to get De Ligt and he wants to come here, then I say go for it. 

Not a prayer we break the record for a defender (again) when he might not even turn out to be first choice ahead of Gomez. 

We have other areas of the squad that needs prioritising first in my opinion. A back up for Robertson for starters, and a quality back up for the front 3 is much more important. 

Lovren as fourth choice is as good as any club, anywhere. De Ligt is good but really not needed I dont reckon. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not a prayer we break the record for a defender (again) when he might not even turn out to be first choice ahead of Gomez. 

We have other areas of the squad that needs prioritising first in my opinion. A back up for Robertson for starters, and a quality back up for the front 3 is much more important. 

Lovren as fourth choice is as good as any club, anywhere. De Ligt is good but really not needed I dont reckon. 

I agree but I suppose it changes if Lovren wants to be first choice somewhere else. As good as they've been, Matip and Gomez have had their own injury problems since they joined. Probably a season too early for Hoever to be getting more games? I don't know. Think he's played a lot more at right back anyway?

Saw elsewhere someone suggest Vertonghen as an option if he was somehow available from Spurs (only a year left on his contract I think). Think he'd be perfect for a couple years and would provide good cover at left back too.

• Subscriber

I know his comment was tongue in cheek but it is funny how many decided he was bad tonight over one error, when it turned out he still ended up being probably the best centre half on the pitch.

If Holland had a good striker they would win the Euros.

17 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I agree with most of that except that not many clubs need to use their fourth choice CB. With Gomez ahead of him its more like being 3rd choice.

I really want Joe to work out though.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

I know his comment was tongue in cheek but it is funny how many decided he was bad tonight over one error, when it turned out he still ended up being probably the best centre half on the pitch.

If Holland had a good striker they would win the Euros.

That's the challenge smaller nations have, getting strong players in every position all in the one generation.

Matip has been great, but he's also been injury prone since we signed him. Gomez has had two bad injuries at such a young age, could be a sign of things to come? Lovren has been ruled out with sickness how many times? 

Our CB situation is strong on face value, but in reality we have three out of four that aren't 100% reliable to be fit. As much as I love Gomez, I wouldn't be willing to bet our defensive future on him. Say De Ligt goes for 80m...is that too much to pay for a player you are gonna get ten top class years from? (Assuming he hits his potential). I'd say absolutely not. Get him in, flog Lovren.

14 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Would be a huge step down, in terms of size of club and current level.

Definitely I was more speaking as an Arsenal fan is that this is the kind of player we need to build the club back up, hungry talented youth.  Arsenal will just buy the usual crap as normal.

15 minutes ago, José said:

De Ligt's people: If you go to United, Barca will buy you later whatever the cost

The Dutch defender has doubts about whether he should go to Barca where he would have to compete with Gerard Pique, Clement Lenglet and Samuel Umtiti.

People around him have told him that he should go to a team where he knows he can start.

“If you go to United, in three years Barca will pay whatever it costs for you,” they have told him.

Journalist Oriol Domenech went further on Catalunya Radio, saying that the player’s agent Mino Raiola has told Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu that De Ligt can move to Barca later on and for now he wants to play and have minutes.

Sport.com

Sport.com :rofl:

Why can't he just stay loyal to Ajax for a few more years, I don't know if its him who wants to leave or Ajax are trying to cash in on him though but i would like to see him stay then get a big move in a couple of years. Same with De Jong and Van Der Beek.

50 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Why can't he just stay loyal to Ajax for a few more years, I don't know if its him who wants to leave or Ajax are trying to cash in on him though but i would like to see him stay then get a big move in a couple of years. Same with De Jong and Van Der Beek.

Ajax dont need to cash in on him, its more de Ligts agent.  I rather see de Ligt stay until he is 21. 

2 hours ago, Panna King said:

Ajax dont need to cash in on him, its more de Ligts agent.  I rather see de Ligt stay until he is 21. 

Is he represented by Raiola? Or by one of Raiola's friends while Raiola is banned (but he's openly flaunting the ban, I'm pretty sure and still going to negotiations with his clients)?

Because him moving this early seems like a very Raiola-led thing to do.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is he represented by Raiola? Or by one of Raiola's friends while Raiola is banned (but he's openly flaunting the ban, I'm pretty sure and still going to negotiations with his clients)?

Because him moving this early seems like a very Raiola-led thing to do.

Yeah Raiola is his agent and he has been able to turn his ban over now.

1 minute ago, Panna King said:

Yeah Raiola is his agent and he has been able to turn his ban over now.

Ah well that's shit. Raiola is great at making his clients money, but I don't think he really has their careers at heart. And he's very much the kind of person to encourage a player to make multiple big money moves in their career... which lends to the idea that perhaps someone like Manchester United might buy De Ligt first, then he'll be sold to Barca in a few years. But in terms of his career development, he's probably better off in Holland in a system that he's comfortable with, with a good coach in his current coach, than going off to play alongside Phil Jones and Ashley Young.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Ah well that's shit. Raiola is great at making his clients money, but I don't think he really has their careers at heart. And he's very much the kind of person to encourage a player to make multiple big money moves in their career... which lends to the idea that perhaps someone like Manchester United might buy De Ligt first, then he'll be sold to Barca in a few years. But in terms of his career development, he's probably better off in Holland in a system that he's comfortable with, with a good coach in his current coach, than going off to play alongside Phil Jones and Ashley Young.

Raiola is great at making himself money, he is the worst agent to have. 

• The title was changed to Matthijs de Ligt - Juventus Complete Signing of Dutch Defender

Archived