talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Defoe Interested In Next Series Of Strictly Come Dancing

Jermaine Defoe has said if he wants to go to the world cup he needs to be playing Premier League football next season.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/recap-sunderland-afc-news-david-moyes-2m-striker-swoop-jermain-defoe-quit-threat-greece-international-linked-1-8449446

If Sunderland go down who should he join? Who could he be a starter for? 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether he is targeting an appearance at the World Cup or not, a bloke who has scored as many goals as Defoe has for Sunderland, in what have been some very poor Sunderland sides, deserves to be playing Premier League Football next season.

Sunderland are in grave danger for me. Moyes needs to be sacked and sacked sharpish. He's not going to recruit well for a side that should be at the top end of the Championship next season and investment itself is an issue at Sunderland too. The money Sunderland have spent over the last few years, on what can largely be described as rubbish, in comparison to other team's you'd group together with Sunderland has been unbelievable.

He'd be a very good signing on a free transfer, he's a certainty for 10 goals a season minimum and the goals he's been scoring this season are for probably the poorest team in the division. 

West Ham would be a decent fit.

• The title was changed to Defoe Could Play For Any Top 6 Side Says Dean Ashton

Jermain Defoe should be on the radar of the Premier League’s leading clubs, according to Dean Ashton.

The striker can leave Sunderland on a free transfer in the summer if they are relegated from the top-flight – a prospect that looks inevitable.

Defoe has been in sparking form for the Black Cats over the past two seasons and netted for England on Sunday in his first international appearance in over three years.

West Ham and Bournemouth are being linked with the 34-year-old but, according to Ashton, clubs higher up the league should also be targeting the prolific hitman.

"I can see him at any club and I mean any club," said the ex-England international, speaking to Jim White on talkSPORT.

"He is the best finisher I have ever seen live, without a shadow of a doubt.

"To have somebody of his finishing ability in your team, it is a must. He is that good. His finishing is so good.

"He has quickness of thought and is able to move his body quickly enough to take advantage of things in the box.

"He can, in one movement without taking another step, control and shoot at the same time.

"For such a slight bloke, the power in his shots is incredible. No back lift and BANG!

"If I'm one of the top six sides, I would have Defoe in my squad. He could do it for any team."

https://talksport.com/football/jermain-defoe-could-play-any-premier-leagues-top-six-clubs-former-england-striker-tells

Err, no. He had his chance in the top 6 and he took on average 20 shots to score a goal

I'd go as far as saying, anything up to eighteen teams next season could do a lot worse than Jermain Defoe. 

He'll cost very little, he has scored regularly in poor Sunderland sides and he's got experience that younger players and foreign signings won't have. For someone to chuck on for twenty-to-twenty five minutes, I'd go for him. 

• Subscriber

Would take him as an impact sub. Hard to say whether he'd have a role to play. This season he'd have been useful as a backup but between Lukaku staying or going, Rooney rumoured to be returning, who knows what our options will be next season?

1 hour ago, adziom said:

Would take him as an impact sub. Hard to say whether he'd have a role to play. This season he'd have been useful as a backup but between Lukaku staying or going, Rooney rumoured to be returning, who knows what our options will be next season?

Defoe over Rooney every single day! Double the output at half the wages. 

Cant believe Everton are even contemplating bringing Rooney back. Jumped ship as a teenager now wants the big hero's welcome when he's all washed up? 

1 minute ago, HK85 said:

Could definitely get on board with Defoe as backup but it might stop someone like Calvert-Lewin getting games for a short amount of time. 

Suppose he could learn from him. 

That's the gamble mate! Sometimes throwing the youngsters in at the deep-end pays dividends... Look at United with Rashford last season! 

If you were to bring in an old head to mentor the youngsters though it would have to be Defoe. Rooney is finished and would only hold you back on the pitch and financially. 

2 hours ago, Romesh said:

would be great for Arsenal when Sanchez leaves

Doesn't even play in the same position... Even if you were being serious, he wouldn't get anywhere close.

17 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

In all honesty and I'm being serious...  I think he has more to offer as a front man than many top strikers in Europe right now.

Being an average player in an extremely shit team can fool people into thinking that. 

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

Being an average player in an extremely shit team can fool people into thinking that. 

He plays in a position where the job is to score goals.  He's done it his whole career and continues to do so...  Age has no significance (not that you've gone down that route) and neither does the club he's playing for.  He has a natural instinct to put that ball in the back of the net and with better supply he will score more goals.

I thought it was just young English players that get overrated once they get called up. Turns out it's also the same for old English players that haven't been called up for some time.

14 hours ago, 6666 said:

I thought it was just young English players that get overrated once they get called up. Turns out it's also the same for old English players that haven't been called up for some time.

Saying somebody who is a good finisher could be a good squad player for a top six club is hardly overrating him. Youve had Sanogo doing that job before.

Archived