talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alfie Mawson - Fulham Complete £20m Deal

England centre-back Alfie Mawson could leave relegated Swansea this summer.

The Guardian reports that both West Ham and Southampton are keen on the 24-year-old, who would cost around £20m, while Tottenham and Arsenal have also been linked.

Mawson was one of the few shining lights in Swansea's season to forget, earning his first international call-up before minor knee surgery ruled him out of the World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

West Ham getting Mawson and Felipe Anderson would be a good start to the transfer window for them. 

Fredericks is a good signing and they’re seemingly, if paper talk is to be believed, going after the right sort of players this summer. If they follow through and get some of the names linked, they’ll have a good year. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Fredericks is a good signing and they’re seemingly, if paper talk is to be believed, going after the right sort of players this summer. If they follow through and get some of the names linked, they’ll have a good year. 

sadly cos I don't like West Ham, I agree!

• 4 weeks later...

One of the Swansea American Investors has come out and described his Future as 'unclear'.

I think they'll struggle to get what they value the player at. Players don't seem to be going for as much as they were in January or last summer, and even then when they were a Premier League club other teams found the value excessive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fulham, Burnley and West Ham were all in talks to sign Alfie Mawson from Swansea on Friday, according to Sky sources.

The Swans want more than £20m for the centre-back, who is still getting back to fitness following knee surgery at the end of last season.

West Ham had a number of offers rejected earlier in the summer as they bid for both Mawson and keeper Lukasz Fabianski, whom they signed in June.

Sky Sports News reported earlier this month that Burnley had opened discussions for the defender as they prepare for their first season in European competition.

And now Fulham, who want another centre-back after signing Maxime Le Marchand, have come in for Mawson in the last 24 hours, Sky Sports News understands.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Mawson would be a good signing, I think he's looked down upon due to being in a poor side. I'd certainly take him at Everton as a squad player.

Squad player? He'd be starting for you

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Mawson would be a good signing, I think he's looked down upon due to being in a poor side. I'd certainly take him at Everton as a squad player.

I remember a year ago Maguire, Keane and Gibson were all talked of as promising English centre halves playing in struggling sides yet Mawson got totally overlooked and I never really understood why.

With some of the figures going around for Maguire half of me would actually hope these pair of signings happened. I don't think they will though.

• Subscriber

Keane didn't even look good when we played super defensive under Allardyce. Hardly think he's going to cut the mustard with his pace when it looks like Silva wants to play a pretty high line. We have to try with him though because he's more of a prospect than Jagielka or Williams which says next to nothing but is still the case.

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Sky Sports seem to think the ex Brentford lad is signing for Fulham @Danny

Not that bothered mate, he left us a long time ago...in recent times we've sold Button to Fulham and Bidwell to QPR and been better off for both of them so it's not really an issue.

• Administrator

Fulham set to complete £20m for Mawson

Swansea's Alfie Mawson is set to join Fulham in a deal that could cost the Premier League newcomers up to £20m.

The defender's departure from the Liberty Stadium has been anticipated since the club's relegation in May.

The 24-year-old, who played for England at under-21 level, made more than 70 appearances for the Swans after joining them from Barnsley for £5m in 2016.

He featured in all of their Premier League games last season, earning a call-up to the full England squad.

Mawson began his career at Brentford before joining Barnsley, who will receive a payment after putting a sell-on clause in the agreement to sell him to Swansea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45006839

Fulham seem to be spending a ton of money since Promotion. Not sure how this will go though if something were to happen and they didn't stay in the EPL after this year. 

• The title was changed to Alfie Mawson - Fulham Close to Completing Deal
5 hours ago, Eco said:

Fulham seem to be spending a ton of money since Promotion. Not sure how this will go though if something were to happen and they didn't stay in the EPL after this year. 

Fabri is an anomolee but Seri and Mawson are players they should get back what they have paid for.

They all have a golden nugget in Ryan Sessegnon who could get an England call up in the next year, and they've rejected £30m for Tom Cairney before who will still be a focal point of their team.

With that in mind I think they'll be fine.

Basically every club going these days has a billionaire trying to better their club, but we end up with the one billionaire who got rich being a tight arse cheap skate running a tat shop using sweat shop labour to make a 6-pack of Donnay socks.

• Administrator

Done deal.

Great coup for Fulham. Hope they stay up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45024377

Premier League newcomers Fulham have signed defender Alfie Mawson from Swansea City on a four-year contract in a deal that could cost up to £20m.

The 24-year-old featured in all of the Swans' Premier League games last season, earning a call-up to the full England squad.

Barnsley will also receive a payment due to a sell-on clause.

"I'm excited by the project going on here and I can't wait to get going," said Mawson.

"The football being played last season was lovely on the eye but also effective and I can't wait to be a part of it.

"I'm excited to be a part of this great club moving forward and to help achieve success in the Premier League."

Mawson's career began at Brentford, while he also had loan spells with Luton, Welling and Wycombe before joining Barnsley.

He moved to Swansea in 2016 and was a mainstay in the club's defence last season, but could not prevent their relegation in May.

Mawson
Mitrovic
Schurrle
Seri

Not a bad window so far.

• The title was changed to Alfie Mawson - Fulham Complete £20m Deal

Somehow Fulham are getting these deals over the line without worrying deadline day. There is no doubt they are having a very successful window and it must make fans of Newcastle (although the Magpies did sign someone today) Burnley and Spurs for that matter, wonder what their secret is?

Since they got rid of the "owners sons best friend" they have gone from strength to strength. Plenty of time left for them to make another splash or two. I wonder if they will?

Enough to stay up yet?

Archived