talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gianluigi Buffon Joins Paris Saint-Germain

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is close to joining Paris Saint-Germain, according to Sky in Italy.

The 40-year-old Italy legend, who left Juventus after 17 years at the end of the season, is in talks over joining the French Ligue 1 champions.

PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi recently praised Buffon in an interview with French newspaper L'Equipe, but insisted Alphonse Areola would remain first choice under new boss Thomas Tuchel.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/23/2018 at 01:43, Dr. Gonzo said:

Guess Gigi just didn't want me to like him anymore at the end of his career. First that embarrassing tirade against that referee for doing his job, now this.

Shame.

money changes everything.     All the accolades Buffon has earned throughout the years will be stomped on like shit if this rumor comes to fruition.    

• Subscriber

I said it in the original retirement thread that I didn't want him to leave Italy and go anywhere else but I suppose he has a career that still has some light so he's going to have a go in Paris. What a shame. 

• 4 weeks later...

PSG has scheduled a medical for Buffon, who´s already looking for residence in Paris.

As for Areola, Tuchel and the board wants him to stay, Tuchel had a talk with him and tried to convince him to stay, explaining the arrival of Buffon is a chance to learn. Roma and Napoli are rumored to be interested in Areola. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Gianluigi Buffon Joins Paris Saint-Germain
  • Subscriber

PSG v Juventus in the Champions League final. Don't know whether Buffon winning at Juve's expense or Ronaldo scoring a bicycle kick to win it for Juventus with Buffon looking on would be funnier. Probably the latter as I've not forgotten Buffons disgraceful behaviour towards an official earlier this year.

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Still rattled over Neymar then. :ph34r:

I was rattling like a snake when it happened! xD

But I've always hated PSG to be honest (way before they were taken over) and disliked them even more after that.

30 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Does anybody know how this has gone down with the Juve fans? Given both sides seem to prioritising the Champions League, you imagine they wouldn't be best pleased.

I can't tell you how every Juve fan feels about this, but the Italian media's general take on this is that Buffon's move to PSG is surprising and that it's an honourable retirement within Europe.  Juve fans in Naples (90% of Juve fans exist outside Turin) don't speak about Buffon's departure too much to be honest and focus on the adjustments to challenge for the Champions League which is their objective.

I'll add another thing football fans outside Italy may be very surprised at... Whilst Gianluigi Buffon is very respected in Italy, he isn't seen in the same fashion as he's revered elsewhere in Europe.

12 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I can't tell you how every Juve fan feels about this, but the Italian media's general take on this is that Buffon's move to PSG is surprising and that it's an honourable retirement within Europe.  Juve fans in Naples (90% of Juve fans exist outside Turin) don't speak about Buffon's departure too much to be honest and focus on the adjustments to challenge for the Champions League which is their objective.

I'll add another thing football fans outside Italy may be very surprised at... Whilst Gianluigi Buffon is very respected in Italy, he isn't seen in the same fashion as he's revered elsewhere in Europe.

This doesn't look like a retirement move to me. Looks more like last shot at winning the Champions League.

3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

This doesn't look like a retirement move to me. Looks more like last shot at winning the Champions League.

It isn't a retirement move at all mate, I agree.  But it is the way they've read it in Italy. They really don't see PSG as anything of substance and I always thought that was more of a feeling in Spain and elsewhere, but over there they've always criticised Marco Verratti for choosing the easy luxurious lifestyle instead of competing to realise his potential... They blamed Verratti massively in the play-off against Sweden with that argument. 

If I remember rightly, Buffon was offered one year with a second as an option to stay at Juventus... How are PSG in a better position to win the Champions League than Juve?

Other than money, there is no logical reason for his move.

Archived