• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
The Palace Fan

Bernd Leno Completes Move to Arsenal

Recommended Posts

Bailey isn't the only Bayer Leverkusen star attracting interest. Leno, the club's No 1 goalkeeper, is on several top European sides' radars, including Arsenal and Napoli.

The Gunners are reportedly searching for a new goalkeeper to be a long-term replacement for the ageing Petr Cech and given Leno has just two years remaining on his current contract, the German could be available for the right price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I'd want him, haven't seen any of him but I have heard he is pretty average, interesting to know what the Bundesliga guys on here think of him.

I'm sure he wouldn't be cheap either, for me there has to be better options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Not sure I'd want him, haven't seen any of him but I have heard he is pretty average, interesting to know what the Bundesliga guys on here think of him.

I'm sure he wouldn't be cheap either, for me there has to be better options.

Release clause is less than 30 million I believe. And I've always rated him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this post by Relling is spot on when it comes to Leno:

On 12/20/2017 at 16:39, Relling said:

I think Leno has been very good these last couple of months. The thing with Leno is that he will usually be solid, and will have a few absolutely match winning performances in a season, but he will also be abysmal in 3-4 games per season, likely losing the game for the the team. He was always like this.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arsenal look set to sign the keeper from Bayer Leverkusen.

Quote

 

Change is in the air at Arsenal this summer with Unai Emery looking to swiftly strengthen his squad ahead of his first season in English football. The Gunners are reportedly close to completing a deal for Sampdoria midfielder Lucas Torreira having already brought in former Juventus veteran Stephan Lichtsteiner on a free transfer. Borussia Dortmund defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos is also set to arrive in north London in July. But there could be further upheaval between the sticks, with a new goalkeeper also understood to be in the manager’s thinking.

There is little point in pretending that at 36, Petr Cech is capable of recovering the form that made him one of his generation’s best not too long ago. The Gunners are still to open talks over a new deal with the former Chelsea shot stopper, whose current deal set to expire next summer. David Ospina, who has arguably started the club’s biggest games of the last two seasons despite being second choice by virtue of Arsene Wenger’s rotation policy, would not be an inspired pick to take the lead role on a permanent basis. Here we assess the contenders to take over…

The 26-year-old Bayer Leverkusen shot stopper is the club’s preferred choice as things stand, according to SPORT Bild. The Germany international, cut from Joachim Low’s final 23-man World Cup squad behind Manuel Neuer, Marc Andre ter-Stegen and Kevin Trapp, has been on the radar of Premier League clubs for a number of years. Liverpool were linked with his services, while he opted to pull out of negotiations with Napoli in May when Arsenal’s interest became apparent. A first-team regular by the time he was 20, Leno has been on the scene for some time but rather worryingly for some of his admirers, the mistakes in his game that were once part of the learning curve for a young player still linger today for someone who is now meant to be entering his prime years. While a superb shot stopper, Leno has committed the second most errors leading to opposition goals since the start of the 2015-16 season, according to WhoScored; a worrying stat for Arsenal fans looking for a more composed presence behind their backline. Emery and Sven Mislintat, one of the continent’s most respected talent spotters, surely feel those mistakes can be ironed out to help the German realise his true potential.

 

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/13/bernd-leno-and-arsenals-alternative-goalkeeping-options-to-replace-petr-cech-this-summer-7627502/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant of it happens. I’ve always rated Leno!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Torreira, Sokratis, Leno, and rumored Martins. 

Arsenal aren't fucking about 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's about time Arsenal stepped up their game. I want them to be competitive, because it brings out the best in every other team if your rivals are strong. If Arsenal, Chelsea & Everton can get their act together next season, it would make the league so much better. That may sound bizarre for a Liverpool fan hoping for even more competitors for the title & top four, but I'm also a fan of football...and for the good of English football we need a league with strong teams fighting all the way. That was a bit longwinded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

It's about time Arsenal stepped up their game. I want them to be competitive, because it brings out the best in every other team if your rivals are strong. If Arsenal, Chelsea & Everton can get their act together next season, it would make the league so much better. That may sound bizarre for a Liverpool fan hoping for even more competitors for the title & top four, but I'm also a fan of football...and for the good of English football we need a league with strong teams fighting all the way. That was a bit longwinded.

yeah, the rest of us can just be weak and not try to strengthen :/ 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nudge said:

 

:P 

now what :ph34r: 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

yeah, the rest of us can just be weak and not try to strengthen :/ 

I did say at the end of post "we need a league with strong teams fighting all the way" 

Although I was specifically talking about 3 teams, I do mean we need a stronger league all the way down. Didn't word it so well. We need another Leicester title challenge 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

I did say at the end of post "we need a league with strong teams fighting all the way" 

Although I was specifically talking about 3 teams, I do mean we need a stronger league all the way down. Didn't word it so well. We need another Leicester title challenge 😋

I'm just playing, my friend.

We'll win the title again before another smaller, non-traditional top 6 side does.

^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Leverkusen already signed a better goalkeeper, so good for them :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were linked with Leno and if you look at the stats... he's not really an upgrade on Karius, actually a bit worse than him, so I wasn't really that keen on the rumour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leno's definitely good but not sure if he's that much of an upgrade on Cech. He has time to get better though and unless you're gonna spend crazy money, it's hard to get someone better. It would be more of an "it'll do" signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Leno's definitely good but not sure if he's that much of an upgrade on Cech. He has time to get better though and unless you're gonna spend crazy money, it's hard to get someone better. It would be more of an "it'll do" signing.

I think he's not as good as Cech at Cech's height (because remember, Cech was one of the best keepers around)... but he's certainly better than Cech was in the last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cech was phenomenal, absolute brick wall. It's a shame how his performances deteriorated at Arsenal but it's a long career as a keeper and some peak early and some peak late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Danny said:

Cech was phenomenal, absolute brick wall. It's a shame how his performances deteriorated at Arsenal but it's a long career as a keeper and some peak early and some peak late.

Cech was undoubtedly fantastic. I think his recent dropoff in quality is a big surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Cech was undoubtedly fantastic. I think his recent dropoff in quality is a big surprise.

I don't know how much blame can be put at the hands of Petr Čech to be fair... Arsenal's defence were a a total shambles last season with Arsène Wenger and Steve Bould not being able to bring stability to the setup... All sorts of changes and shuffling of the pack fed the lack of confidence in the side.  Every keeper makes errors and while it's true Čech isn't the keeper he once was, he's still been a stabilising factor in that back line.  He's recieved way too many criticisms, unjust criticisms in my view.

All the same, it's a new leaf, a new chapter in Arsenal's future with Wenger finally gone and we do need a new keeper amongst other changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks set in stone now. Pretty decent fee, although from what I've heard about him recently not sure this is a great deal. Hopefully he can really push onto another level with us. I'd imagine Ospina is definitely going, especially with a year left on his deal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a very good signing. Sometimes players need a change of scenery to get back that whichever may have pulled down their form. I’m very happy with this signing if it’s made official.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It’s a very good signing. Sometimes players need a change of scenery to get back that whichever may have pulled down their form. I’m very happy with this signing if it’s made official.

I will probably be made public on 1st July, along with Sokratis and Torreira. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to treat any player as ours until I see official confirmation. All 3 of Sokratis, Torreira & Leno are yet to be confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

I'm not going to treat any player as ours until I see official confirmation. All 3 of Sokratis, Torreira & Leno are yet to be confirmed.

Confirmed now by Leverkusen 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Europa league signing by Arsenal.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope Cech goes the other way somewhere, he's too good to be a bit-part player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement