talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Martin McGuinness Dead

football forum

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A pivotal figure in recent Irish history, for all its problems and triumphs. Coming up in Derry during those years I can't begrudge a Catholic person joining the IRA; state sponsored discrimination and the British army freely massacring with impunity, after centuries of occupation, is a pretty heady mix for a young man. Some call him murderer but it was a war, a war he thankfully realised the futile, but not unjust, nature of and strove for eventual peace.

I fear for Ireland again now, the rapprochement made between the likes of McGuinness and Paisley seems to be forgotten, politicia like Arlene Foster have self-interest at heart and will drum up age old bigotries to secure their own future. Gerry Adams likewise, I always thought McGuinness came across as sincere and honest about his past, Adams is a liar who only knows political chicanery and self-aggrandisement.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Someone once told me (a Scottish Celtic fan, I believe) the IRA weren't terrorists.

Celtic are sympathetic to Ireland and Catholics in Northern Ireland so sing pro IRA songs and view them favorably. Rangers are pro protestant and unionist so view the IRA as terrorist.

As a half Irish born and raised catholic I view the IRA as terrorist, how can you not? the minute you start killing innocents to further a political belief you are. Although on the other hand i freely admit British troops and political opinions and actions towards the Irish have been idiotic and overly aggressive and some may say by today's standards criminal. 

17 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Celtic are sympathetic to Ireland and Catholics in Northern Ireland so sing pro IRA songs and view them favorably. Rangers are pro protestant and unionist so view the IRA as terrorist.

As a half Irish born and raised catholic I view the IRA as terrorist, how can you not? the minute you start killing innocents to further a political belief you are. Although on the other hand i freely admit British troops and political opinions and actions towards the Irish have been idiotic and overly aggressive and some may say by today's standards criminal. 

Justified or not the use of violence to achieve political power or change is the dictionary definition of 'terrorism'. You could argue that the British used terrorism as well.

5 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Isn't that what the UK government have been doing in the Middle East for the past few decades?

---

Martin McGuinness struck me as someone who, while had no shame for his actions in the 70s and 80s, genuinely wanted to stop the political shit-slinging and animosity in Northern Ireland. Anyone working to close the massive chasm across Ulster, no matter their previous actions, has surely to be commended at some level?

As an aside, it's nice to see that Murdoch can maintain political integrity:

https://twitter.com/arutherfordNI/status/844474206704357377/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2Fentry%2Fmartin-mcguinness-front-pages-daily-mail-the-sun-very-different-front-pages-irish-publications_uk_58d25c76e4b0f838c62defc8

13 hours ago, Spike said:

Justified or not the use of violence to achieve political power or change is the dictionary definition of 'terrorism'. You could argue that the British used terrorism as well.

8 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Isn't that what the UK government have been doing in the Middle East for the past few decades?

---

Martin McGuinness struck me as someone who, while had no shame for his actions in the 70s and 80s, genuinely wanted to stop the political shit-slinging and animosity in Northern Ireland. Anyone working to close the massive chasm across Ulster, no matter their previous actions, has surely to be commended at some level?

As an aside, it's nice to see that Murdoch can maintain political integrity:

https://twitter.com/arutherfordNI/status/844474206704357377/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2Fentry%2Fmartin-mcguinness-front-pages-daily-mail-the-sun-very-different-front-pages-irish-publications_uk_58d25c76e4b0f838c62defc8

Technically surely it's classed as oppression?

Archived