talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dean Smith Favourite For Derby County Job

football forum

Or so they say, personally can't see it happening as he's already distanced himself from the Villa job (last season) and the Baggies job this season. Smith is a bit of a slow burner and given Derby's tag for being bottlers I'm not sure that'd be a great mix, just needs to carry on the work with us and push for the play offs next season.

https://the72.co.uk/103248/brentford-boss-odds-favourite-derby-county-job/

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Derby fan I know was pretty nervous before the playoffs about FFP. When you look at that squad he has good reason to be. They have so many players that you'll easily forget they have that are on big wages. If I was Dean Smith, I'd divulge in to reasons why Gary Rowett left a club he had an affiliation with to take on a project that will require a very big overhaul.

Perfect job for Lee Johnson IMO.

He improved Oldham, Barnsley and Bristol City in terms of league placing and footballing styles and I've no doubt he could do wonders at a club on the next stepping stone up from someone such as Bristol City.

But I wonder whether they might be tempted to go for Nigel Clough. Probably taken Burton as far as he possibly can, doing a reasonably decent job and used to working on a tight budget. If the purse strings have been tightened at the club, perhaps he could be the ideal candidate to work with what he's got whilst adding canny signings for cheaper fee's.

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

He improved Oldham, Barnsley and Bristol City in terms of league placing and footballing styles and I've no doubt he could do wonders at a club on the next stepping stone up from someone such as Bristol City.

But I wonder whether they might be tempted to go for Nigel Clough. Probably taken Burton as far as he possibly can, doing a reasonably decent job and used to working on a tight budget. If the purse strings have been tightened at the club, perhaps he could be the ideal candidate to work with what he's got whilst adding canny signings for cheaper fee's.

With the way Bristol City seen to be progressing and the potential there he's another that I reckon should stay put.

9 hours ago, Lucas said:

I feel like Nigel Clough would be such a backwards step, they must surely have a better long term plan than that.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I feel like Nigel Clough would be such a backwards step, they must surely have a better long term plan than that.

If they really do have financial difficulties they may need to set their sights on a manager whose better working with tighter budgets and getting as much as he can with what he's got. I've always seen Chris Powell going there at some point.

Of course there is always the chance they could move for a Pardew who is out of work and would probably see Derby as a good opportunity.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

If they really do have financial difficulties they may need to set their sights on a manager whose better working with tighter budgets and getting as much as he can with what he's got. I've always seen Chris Powell going there at some point.

Of course there is always the chance they could move for a Pardew who is out of work and would probably see Derby as a good opportunity.

Pardew would be a horrific though. Apparently they were looking at Lampard.

Archived