talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds 49ers

football forum

• Administrator

That's not their name, but who knows what might happen in the future...

Leeds have teamed up with the investors backing San Francisco 49ers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44236885

Leeds United have entered a partnership with 49ers Enterprises, the investment entity behind American football giants San Francisco 49ers.

United chairman Andrea Radrizzani said funds invested in the collaboration will be used to "improve results on the pitch" at the Championship club.

The link-up could also see Leeds play games at the 49ers' Levi's Stadium.

In addition, 49ers Enterprises president Paraag Marathe has joined Leeds' board of directors.

"This strategic partnership enables Leeds United to align with and gain invaluable expertise from the owners of one of the biggest global sports entities," said Radrizzani.

"The 49ers are an innovative, successful organisation and we are delighted to have access to such a rich source of business and sporting expertise.

"This exciting partnership builds on the foundations we have laid down at the club in the last 12 months and we can assure supporters that the funds invested will go towards improving results on the pitch."

@Lucas

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's weird. But the 49ers are my favourite NFL side (mostly because of my fiancé and it being easier to just support her American sides rather than picking my own lol). So that's... interesting I suppose. Something to note though is this guy Paraag Marathe took over from the previous person in his role - basically the right hand man of the 49ers owner. And the previous guy did a really really awful job in his role. Paraag (and his General Manager, John Lynch) are held in really really really high esteem by most 49ers fans for turning around things for the 49ers on the business side & now it looks like they're actually making improvement in terms of actually playing American football.

He's got a lot of patience, even if results don't go the right way, as long as the way the side plays good stuff (the 49ers had a lot of losses last year that were incredibly close) and he believes in the coaching staff. And he's taken an organisation that had a lot of salary cap issues and overpaid players... and the general consensus is he's done very well in managing the contracts. He's not so much in charge of player recruitment as John Lynch - but he's the main man on the business side for the 49ers and he's held in pretty high regard.

I hope this means we get to see Leeds back in the prem sometime soon. A real proper club, I can't believe how long it's been since they've been in the top flight - blows my fucking mind.

It's a very abnormal partnership and time will tell exactly how much this will benefit the club but on the face of it, it seems very much to be a commercial and operational thing. They clearly see the opportunity is there in us to increase the value in their shares if we gain promotion to the Premier League.

There is an immediate financial benefit. Radrizzani always said he'd welcome on board extra investment  but only as a minority holding, which is primarily what has happened here for a 10% stake. I think we are getting £12-15m from that, which is apparently going straight into the kitty towards transfers and wages. To be fair, they always say that though...

I can see us wanting to improve Elland Road by incorporating ideas of hi tech technology used currently in the 49'ers stadium along with promoting the image of the club in the States raising our profile abroad with the potential of earning good income commercially.

Heard a brief interview with Paarag Marathe of the 49'ers who seemed a very genuine upbeat and positive bloke who has inherited the 49'ers much like how we are, a bigger name fallen on harder times and looking to get them back to what they were. It looks like from what I've read that they NFL team is now making the right strides forward off the pitch and on it and with that in mind, I'm not against someone like that working in conjunction with us pitching ideas if it means improvement.

Archived