• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020 Champions League Final To Be Held In Istanbul

football forum

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's a crap stadium, but it's also the home of the greatest match in the history of football.

But look how far the fucking stands are from the pitch. I absolutely hate stadiums like that.

That was at Selhurst Park. The night of Crystanbul.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

That was at Selhurst Park. The night of Crystanbul.

That was such an awful day for me. I hope you at least like needed the points to stay up or something, instead of us just fucking our season up and breaking my fucking heart. Fuck knows how many of my brain cells I executed that night in my despair.

15 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Isn't this stadium also notoriously far from the city and has poor accessibility? 

Yeah - it's a trek for sure. People in '05 said part of the fun of the final was the madness trying to get to the stadium. It's a shit stadium, despite the coolest thing Liverpool have ever done in my living memory happening there.

1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

It's stupid to send two western European clubs fans to the otherside of the continent for a final.

The accessibility at short notice is poor and full of exploitation by those in the travel industry.

You're spot on. But you know if that argument is made UEFA will give some bollocks about how they don't know it'll necessarily be a western European club in the final and shite like that. Even though Red Star Belgrade's famous win was in 1990 and other than them there's only ever been one other eastern European team ever in the final of the European Cup (they beat Barca though). So it's unlikely to have an Eastern European side in the final and it's stupid for the fans of the clubs that actually will play in that final.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You're spot on. But you know if that argument is made UEFA will give some bollocks about how they don't know it'll necessarily be a western European club in the final and shite like that. Even though Red Star Belgrade's famous win was in 1990 and other than them there's only ever been one other eastern European team ever in the final of the European Cup (they beat Barca though). So it's unlikely to have an Eastern European side in the final and it's stupid for the fans of the clubs that actually will play in that final.

They should have several potential host venues and then when the two finalists are known pick the one inbetween the two.

Liverpool v Real Madrid should be in Paris or something. Not fucking chicken Kiev.

1 minute ago, Kitchen Sales said:

They should have several potential host venues and then when the two finalists are known pick the one inbetween the two.

Liverpool v Real Madrid should be in Paris or something. Not fucking chicken Kiev.

You should be president of UEFA. That's a good idea.

1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

That would be at the beginning of the competition then just before the group stages have been drawn... That gives them plenty of time to sort things out

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

would there be enough time to get stadium ready and facilitate all that occurs for a big occasion like the Champions League final though from end of April to potentially mid/end of May?

Could it be held in Paris for example even though French Open is on? Reason I mention that is because of security numbers/policing etc. 

It couldn't be held in Wembley for this season because Championship Play-off final, for this year, is on the same day. 

Given how many new/redeveloped stadiums there are these days, I'm surprised they have used this again.

Definitely would have rather seen something a bit more iconic and historical like the Stade Velodrome in Marseille or Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund.

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

would there be enough time to get stadium ready and facilitate all that occurs for a big occasion like the Champions League final though from end of April to potentially mid/end of May?

Could it be held in Paris for example even though French Open is on? Reason I mention that is because of security numbers/policing etc. 

It couldn't be held in Wembley for this season because Championship Play-off final, for this year, is on the same day. 

FA Cup semi finals throughout history saw tens of thousands descend on neutral cities in short notice. Or replays where 75000 could descend on old trafford with little notice.

The Champions League final is just the same attendance as any other game at the stadium it is in.

If it clashes with something in the city on those dates that cause problems with hotel capacity then they just don't bid, but hotel capacity wouldn't be as demanding as it is now if the game was closer to the actual teams in the final.

Archived