talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mauricio Pochettino Signs New Contract With Spurs

• Subscriber
On 29/05/2018 at 23:24, shut up said:

Burnley finished closer to Liverpool than Liverpool did to City last season. No chance they win the league, and will probably not win a trophy either. 

It's weird how Liverpool finishing top 4 and winning nothing (despite spending big) isn't criticised though. Arsenal was criticised for finishing top 4 AND winning a trophy in 2013, and 2014, despite spending little.

This is the best point made in the thread so far, the second part.

We're talking about three clubs. Liverpool have now won a single league cup in the second half of my lifetime and have finished outside the top four multiple times in that period. They've been called underachievers which was correct but then they've rightly received credit for moving forwards under Klopp.

I think the issue here is that compared to Arsenal, who have spent most of that time up until the last few years always finishing in the top four were slated for it and mocked for winning the top four trophy without any silverware which is the exact position Liverpool and Tottenham are both in now but are widely praised by the media.

In fact, even when Arsenal started winning FA Cups again and still finishing in the top four, you still got people taking the piss out of them and Wenger calling them some sort of crisis club and constantly questioning his position. There is a big double standard here, we can all hopefully see that, because Spurs and Liverpool are talked about as being as big as or bigger than Arsenal yet are hailed as great teams when they win no trophies and finish in the top 4.

However I think the reality when you take personal loyalties aside is that Arsenal were spiralling from being one of the top two in the country when they went on their trophiless run and even since they won a few FA Cups so of course the manager was questioned. Meanwhile Spurs and Liverpool are moving in the right direction with managers who clearly haven't taken them backwards like Wenger did with Arsenal in the last decade, whether or not that was all his fault or the board or the stadium move is a separate debate.

I can see what Storts and the Arsenal fans are on about with Liverpool. How often do you hear the media talk about it being 12(?) years since they won anything better than a League Cup, compared to the stat about how many semi finals Spurs have lost in a row?

However it would also be pretty retarded if now was the time that the media started slating Liverpool for winning nothing when they've just reached the Champions League final and marked their best result in any competition for years in doing so. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal were on an increasingly downward spiral, Liverpool's has been upwards and from an 8th place finish in 2016. Arsenal plodded along not competing for the title for over a decade under Wenger, let's see how Klopp gets on in the next two years. If they're still nowhere near competing for the league then I think criticism is fair but really I can't see much cause for complaint at Liverpool at the moment.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

SHUT UP POST ON THE 30TH

I thought so too, a brilliant two line posting which illuminated his well made point.

Alas, only Storts n myself were moved enough to upvote his words. Should be more

11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

We're talking about three clubs. Liverpool have now won a single league cup in the second half of my lifetime and have finished outside the top four multiple times in that period. They've been called underachievers which was correct but then they've rightly received credit for moving forwards under Klopp.

I think the issue here is that compared to Arsenal, who have spent most of that time up until the last few years always finishing in the top four were slated for it and mocked for winning the top four trophy without any silverware which is the exact position Liverpool and Tottenham are both in now but are widely praised by the media.

In fact, even when Arsenal started winning FA Cups again and still finishing in the top four, you still got people taking the piss out of them and Wenger calling them some sort of crisis club and constantly questioning his position. There is a big double standard here, we can all hopefully see that, because Spurs and Liverpool are talked about as being as big as or bigger than Arsenal yet are hailed as great teams when they win no trophies and finish in the top 4.

However I think the reality when you take personal loyalties aside is that Arsenal were spiralling from being one of the top two in the country when they went on their trophiless run and even since they won a few FA Cups so of course the manager was questioned. Meanwhile Spurs and Liverpool are moving in the right direction with managers who clearly haven't taken them backwards like Wenger did with Arsenal in the last decade, whether or not that was all his fault or the board or the stadium move is a separate debate.

I can see what Storts and the Arsenal fans are on about with Liverpool. How often do you hear the media talk about it being 12(?) years since they won anything better than a League Cup, compared to the stat about how many semi finals Spurs have lost in a row?

However it would also be pretty retarded if now was the time that the media started slating Liverpool for winning nothing when they've just reached the Champions League final and marked their best result in any competition for years in doing so. 

That's a very good and poignant post on certain factors except for the criticism thrown at Arsenal. It all depends where you have stood, watched and listened to everything surrounding Arsenal during that period. Each football fan is more adept and exclusive with the ins and outs of their own and at Arsenal we also have normal human beings supporting the club that are balanced individuals.  Not everyone is what you see on AFTV every time a game finishes!

As Artful Dodger says in a post comment, Arsenal were on a downward spiral.  There's no point on commenting on the recent FA CUP victories during that downward period because the crux of it all is the league.  The league shows a true status of where a club is going and not opportunistic but very welcome cup triumphs. 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

@Storts

What are you feeling right now after the shock of Zidane leaving yesterday?

Reports in Spain state that Mauricio entered a clause in his contract where Real Madrid are concerned.

Absolutely fine mate - there is no clause in his contract or any verbal agreement - just Spanish press making mischief as usual.  

Madrid may have him on their shortlist but there's no way he's leaving now. It's also too early for him, and I think he'd struggle with the big egos.

Maybe next time, but I don't think it's coincidence he signed his new deal when he did.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Storts said:

Absolutely fine mate - there is no clause in his contract or any verbal agreement - just Spanish press making mischief as usual.  

Madrid may have him on their shortlist but there's no way he's leaving now. It's also too early for him, and I think he'd struggle with the big egos.

Maybe next time, but I don't think it's coincidence he signed his new deal when he did.

yeah I don't believe this clause is in there either.

imagine if it was xD 

'I'm showing my loyalty to you by signing a new contract but I don't want to be too loyal so you will allow me to leave when Madrid come calling'. Laughable. 

• Subscriber

Pochettino: “The link now with Madrid is normal and I take it with all normality. I’m committed to Spurs and still have a long contract with them I just signed. I’m happy where I am, and to be here talking about this book.”

Sky: surely no one says no to Madrid. It's impossible isn't it? 
Poch: for you maybe. Not for me 😂

He always seems to throw a bit of doubt in there i think

"I live in the present, there is nothing more important than that.

"I enjoy what is happening and what has to be, will be. [Former Argentina international] Jorge Griffa once told me that I must let football take me, that I do not want to change my destiny."

"The link now with Madrid is normal and I take it with all normality. I’m committed to Spurs and still have a long contract with them I just signed. I’m happy where I am.

"I understand the rumours, but that is life. I’m so happy with my new contract. What will happen tomorrow, I don’t know. But football is football and ends up putting everyone in their place. The most important thing is to enjoy every single day. Let’s enjoy life and not worry about what will happen tomorrow.

"Let’s enjoy this moment now and in the future see what happens."

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not seen the interview but Guardian reporting it as 'when Real Madrid call, you have to listen'. 

Must be a different interview to the one above:

Pochettino signed a new five-year Tottenham contract just over a week ago but was quoted by the Spanish newspaper El Confidencial: “When Real Madrid call you, you have to listen to them. Although in this case it doesn’t depend on me. I have just signed a long contract with Tottenham and I am very happy here.

“I am happy at Tottenham because they let me work and we are growing together. Right now I want to focus on planning for next season and keep out of all the things that are being said. There will be lots of rumours, lots of things said, but I have no news from Real Madrid.

“I’m working very comfortably at Tottenham and it’s my obligation to focus on that. I do not want, nor can I, comment on Zidane going but what he has done is undoubtedly very big: no one has won three Champions Leagues in a row recently.”

• Subscriber

Great quotes from Poch - very happy. Not that I was concerned at all.

Effectively says what I did to Balon this morning - he’s very happy and going nowhere this time. Next time though it’s a possibility - and think that’s right for him.  

34 minutes ago, Storts said:

Effectively says what I did to Balon this morning - he’s very happy and going nowhere this time. Next time though it’s a possibility - and think that’s right for him.  

You've told us you're not worried a hell of a lot, it's almost as if, you're worried.

I agree he'll stay, although his 'it doesn't depend on me' stuff suggests he would go if Spurs would accept an approach, which they wont.

On 29/05/2018 at 22:28, LFCMike said:

MadLad doesn't help himself sometimes, such as with the above but Storts has some cheek. Possibly the most biased and delusional poster I've ever come across

Have you ever read @Happy Blue s posts?

On 01/06/2018 at 14:02, Storts said:

Apart from Simione it' hard to see who could do a better job with spurs. Allegri maybe. Spurs have been very consistent under him. I mean not taking the piss but they have only won a couple of league cups in 20 years or so so I think he has done a great job.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I think everyone knows he's on a constant wind up

Ha ha yeah but he is quite delusional

Archived