talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Risks

football forum

So, it's probably the busiest time of year at work. I'm incredibly stressed and seriously rethinking if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. 

I have also had a dream to attend a World Cup and really wanted to hit up Russia but it's impossible due to work commitments. Qatar would be interesting...

Another dream is to spend 6 months abroad travelling the Americas. I'm thinking that's got to happen sooner rather than later due to age etc. 

The risk factor is leaving a permanent job(job for life if I want it with the department), losing a good portion of a potential house down payment and being without any assets when I return (I would likely sell my car). But as everyday goes past I think the benefit and enjoyment of such a trip would far outweigh the risk.

Anyway, have you taken any big risks? They could be financial, job, or health related and how did it go? How do you feel after you've taken such a risk? 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is your profession and how are your employment prospects in your city of residence? 

If it's a government gig i'd be honestly shocked if you couldn't take 6 months leave without pay to travel the world. Particularly if you give them plenty of notice to bring in a contractor to replace you. 

With regard to risk I'm not a big risk taker. Married young and generally made most career decisions based around my family. That said I've really enjoyed my job and if that wasn't the case I'd have felt more pressure to change course on the career front and take a few more risks. 

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

So, it's probably the busiest time of year at work. I'm incredibly stressed and seriously rethinking if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. 

I have also had a dream to attend a World Cup and really wanted to hit up Russia but it's impossible due to work commitments. Qatar would be interesting...

Another dream is to spend 6 months abroad travelling the Americas. I'm thinking that's got to happen sooner rather than later due to age etc. 

The risk factor is leaving a permanent job(job for life if I want it with the department), losing a good portion of a potential house down payment and being without any assets when I return (I would likely sell my car). But as everyday goes past I think the benefit and enjoyment of such a trip would far outweigh the risk.

Anyway, have you taken any big risks? They could be financial, job, or health related and how did it go? How do you feel after you've taken such a risk? 

Do it, you only live once. You can always find another job but you may not have the time later.

I'm 27 turning 28 this year, spent the last few years in and around Australia, now in New Zealand, plan on going to Central and North America as well as doing a month on train around Europe and am essentially going to be in an entry level job for the next few years with no real financial/career based future....wouldn't say it's a risk but with so many people around my age now buying houses, having kids and getting married it's definitely food for thought.

But I'd rather see the world and experience amazing things and start the whole mortgage/marriage/kids thing sometime into my 30s rather than fuck it all off and get stuck at home. Obviously that's not true for all people and some would much prefer the opposite but I'm happy with everything right now.

I got trapped (safely) into a beautiful beach near Sydney because the only road out was closed off because of a bush fire...just wouldn't see something like that if I my focus was to go home and get a mortgage.

xnu2o9.jpg

16lhevs.jpg

• Subscriber

I quit my job, sold my stuff and moved to Cambodia 4 years ago. I never saw it as a risk myself, but some others might. Never regretted it so far.

As long as you're healthy and have no family to take care of, it's hardly a risk... 

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

I quit my job, sold my stuff and moved to Cambodia 4 years ago. I never saw it as a risk myself, but some others might. Never regretted it so far.

As long as you're healthy and have no family to take care of, it's hardly a risk... 

What'd you do work?

1 hour ago, nudge said:

You mean now? I'm working remotely for a German company, database maintenance and stuff.

Yeah I don't know how I fucked up the English language so badly there :clown: That'd be amazing tbh, I imagine you're a work from home/whatever hours in the day they need sort of person?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yeah I don't know how I fucked up the English language so badly there :clown: That'd be amazing tbh, I imagine you're a work from home/whatever hours in the day they need sort of person?

Haha, I thought it was some crazy dialect/slang thing xD Yeah more or less, I'm actually employed full-time, but can work from wherever I want and I get to freely choose my working days and hours, unless there's an urgent project, but even then I simply get a deadline that I need to meet..

I am the biggest pussy risk wise, always wanted to move abroad. However i am working for the same company for almost 7 years and got an decent job. Recently got a change of heart, started learning German but overall would move to any country in Europe with a solid economy and a decent lifestyle. The risk is that if i quit my long term job here, and fail to find a job abroad i would have nothing to return to.

11 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Can you not apply for jobs in Germany whilst you work in Bosnia? I've never looked into it myself as I don't want to move but I always assumed you could look on websites to find jobs abroad before actually quitting yours and moving there?

I can but there is a long waiting list for Visa's as everyone just wants to get the fuck out of Bosnia. So even if i find a job the company that would provide it for me would need to wait a certain period before i get there. Looking into options i was even thinking of moving to Ireland which is a "popular" destination recently for the people from the Balkans.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

I guess the economy is shite over there then? Ireland would be great, and you'd be an hour's flight away from me so we could have Y-front parties. 

The Balkans (Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia etc) is piss in every way. From the basic human rights, to shit salary, to shit politics. People are leaving it rapidly, best option is to be from Croatia as you don't need Visa to travel in Europe. Much easier to get a job with zero to no risk. Not very sure how keen are the Irish to give jobs to foreigners, meaning that why wait on me when you can find an Irishman and give him the job?

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Harry said:

That was just the name of a girl he was seeing 

ohhh, so when he says he was 'in Japan' that's what he really meant.

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Haha, I thought it was some crazy dialect/slang thing xD Yeah more or less, I'm actually employed full-time, but can work from wherever I want and I get to freely choose my working days and hours, unless there's an urgent project, but even then I simply get a deadline that I need to meet..

And weather-wise all you need to worry about is wet season and dry season...are you land locked where you are or by the coast? I suppose living in south east Asia it's not a massive problem if you don't always live by the sea seeing as the travel's cheap.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

And weather-wise all you need to worry about is wet season and dry season...are you land locked where you are or by the coast? I suppose living in south east Asia it's not a massive problem if you don't always live by the sea seeing as the travel's cheap.

I'm living on the coast, much prefer the weather here compared to land-locked regions. That said, weather is not much of a problem anyway, even the rainy season is not too bad - we had two weeks of non stop rain once, but other than that, it's very manageable as it usually rains late in the afternoon or at night, so it's possible to plan accordingly. And yes, as you said, travel is cheap, but it can sometimes take hours for a relatively short trip due to traffic and road conditions :shutup:

I'm with @nudge on this. When I graduated college, I packed all my things and moved to Russia a couple of years, and then spent 2 years living in China. Didn't see it much as risk because I didn't want a wife, child, or anything other than immediate family holding me here. 

Now I'm back and settled down with a wife and kid, but I would change those years for anything, and there are definitely times in my life when i wish I could go back to living that kind of vagabond life. 

22 hours ago, Eco said:

I'm with @nudge on this. When I graduated college, I packed all my things and moved to Russia a couple of years, and then spent 2 years living in China. Didn't see it much as risk because I didn't want a wife, child, or anything other than immediate family holding me here. 

Now I'm back and settled down with a wife and kid, but I would change those years for anything, and there are definitely times in my life when i wish I could go back to living that kind of vagabond life. 

I felt the same about Japan in terms of not regretting it. Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread but I did live there. I saw it as a risk.

To answer @Harry earlier in the thread, i could even come back to the same position in 2020 if I got lucky. I just feel I'm about a point in my life where I either  do a huge trip or save for a house haha. Risk is perhaps a strong word. 

There's no risk not owning your own home at a young age. There is a risk not having a private pension however.

You need to be putting in 10-15% of your salary into a pension every year. With people living longer you are likely to spend the last 25 years of your life not in work. Do you want that on state benefits or a salary as if you were working?

If you want to go travelling or take a gap year or what not then put a lump sum in your pension pot that would cover that period. 

13 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

There's no risk not owning your own home at a young age. There is a risk not having a private pension however.

You need to be putting in 10-15% of your salary into a pension every year. With people living longer you are likely to spend the last 25 years of your life not in work. Do you want that on state benefits or a salary as if you were working?

If you want to go travelling or take a gap year or what not then put a lump sum in your pension pot that would cover that period. 

Good points. I was hoping to start some conversation about financial or personal risks people have taken. Hell, am sure some parents on here hadn't planned babies 👀 

As for the pension, we call it superannuation, employer contributes 9.5% annually, however, there's no guarantee I'm living to see any of it though is there? I'm quite reluctant to put my own money into it at this stage. If I work full time in my current job for even 20 or so years I'll likely have a healthy retirement fund. 

3 hours ago, Toinho said:

@Kitchen Sales you've got me wondering - what's a decent salary in England? An internet search suggests £27,500 is average - is that enough to live on? (I'd exclude living in London for that, surely).

For a single person for sure, depends what life stage you're at.

@Toinho Think of it this way. There are people that would love that opportunity but would never get even close to achieving what you can. You have to ask yourself 'what would give you more spiritual pleasure'? If you are ready to settle down, dig your feet in, stay in OZ, but if you feel like another Japanese adventure, do it! I had a dream last night that I was teaching English in Spain, so maybe I'm projecting my own feelings on you but I think you're a lucky man.

Could you keep your car at your parents?

Archived