talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Risks

football forum

6 hours ago, Toinho said:

@Kitchen Sales you've got me wondering - what's a decent salary in England? An internet search suggests £27,500 is average - is that enough to live on? (I'd exclude living in London for that, surely).

Wages are less in the UK but cost of living is cheaper, i.e no ten dollar pints, you can actually use coins to buy chocolates etc. But I'd still say that saving is better overall in Oz.

You could spend about 200-300 p/w in Sydney depending on whether you live in Sydney or out west, whereas in the UK you're looking at around £400-500 p/m. Living in London it's £500 minimum in greater London and then it climbs depending where you live elsewhere in London. But when you work in London you're generally given London weighting on top of that which is an extra couple of hundred to a thousand a year to cover travel/rent increase (depends on the employer I believe), not that it does cover it but it's added on to what you'd see advertised.

I was on about $3200 per month in Sydney but nearly a grand of that went on rent lol.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Spike said:

@Toinho Think of it this way. There are people that would love that opportunity but would never get even close to achieving what you can. You have to ask yourself 'what would give you more spiritual pleasure'? If you are ready to settle down, dig your feet in, stay in OZ, but if you feel like another Japanese adventure, do it! I had a dream last night that I was teaching English in Spain, so maybe I'm projecting my own feelings on you but I think you're a lucky man.

Could you keep your car at your parents?

Oh I am definitely in a privileged position on very good money etc. I'm very likely  going to do it! 

Definirely could keep my car at theirs, speaking of them they're in England right now finding a wife for me. 

@Danny $1000 in rent is high! Was that income before or after tax? Not sure I should share mine. 

9 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Oh I am definitely in a privileged position on very good money etc. I'm very likely  going to do it! 

Definirely could keep my car at theirs, speaking of them they're in England right now finding a wife for me. 

@Danny $1000 in rent is high! Was that income before or after tax? Not sure I should share mine. 

That income was after tax, but yeah Sydney is expensive and I was sharing a room so double that just for one room 😂

Just now, Danny said:

That income was after tax, but yeah Sydney is expensive and I was sharing a room so double that just for one room 😂

Crickey!

Also, that's not too bad after tax. I get slaughtered by tax. Usually $800-900 a fortnight. 

43 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Crickey!

Also, that's not too bad after tax. I get slaughtered by tax. Usually $800-900 a fortnight. 

Yeah I was on about $25 p/h but tbh could have got a job paying $28/$30, being a backpacker all the work is temporary with no holiday/sick pay so they up the hourly by about $4-$6.

I suppose coming out to the US was a risk. I never really thought I'd end up living here when I went to get that degree, I thought I'd come back and get a job somewhere in England. But then I applied to a job and it had a little box "will you need us to sponsor you for a visa" and I ticked yes and applied. And then they were willing to sponsor my visa application so I thought "fuck it."

Since then I've had 3 jobs, they've all been alright - each has their pros and cons - in the US, moved to a city that I think is really cool, and got engaged. So the risk paid off I think.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I suppose coming out to the US was a risk. I never really thought I'd end up living here when I went to get that degree, I thought I'd come back and get a job somewhere in England. But then I applied to a job and it had a little box "will you need us to sponsor you for a visa" and I ticked yes and applied. And then they were willing to sponsor my visa application so I thought "fuck it."

Since then I've had 3 jobs, they've all been alright - each has their pros and cons - in the US, moved to a city that I think is really cool, and got engaged. So the risk paid off I think.

Beautiful story! Minus the engaged bit :( 

Archived