talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

André Gomes - Loaned to Everton

Having failed to make the impact anticipated at the Camp Nou since joining Barcelona from Valencia two summers ago, reports in Spain suggest the La Liga champions are ready to cash in on the Portuguese playmaker in order to raise funds for incoming signings.

Once a rumoured Tottenham transfer target, Gomes, who is still only 24 years old, could well be a consideration for Premier League clubs aiming to add quality to their midfield.

Gomes only featured in 629 minutes of La Liga action this term, failing to register a goal or an assist in that time. But his 50.22 passes per 90 minutes showed a willingness to get on the ball and conduct play, while his 89.1 per cent pass accuracy is evidence of his technical quality.

If able to restore Gomes to his confident Valencia pomp, any suitor would be getting a high-quality central midfield player.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one looks almost definite providing Barça get a good deal out of it.  Brilliant player but just doesn't fit into Barcelona's system unfortunately and it's not been from the want of trying by the various coaches that have been there since André was signed. It's sad because I really like him, but it just won't work at Barcelona, he's entered a mental block and it won't happen for him there. :(

• Administrator

this does not surprise me one bit. Just not suited to the way Barca play and although individually he's a good player, he'd be better off showing what he can do at another club. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

This one looks almost definite providing Barça get a good deal out of it.  Brilliant player but just doesn't fit into Barcelona's system unfortunately and it's not been from the want of trying by the various coaches that have been there since André was signed. It's sad because I really like him, but it just won't work at Barcelona, he's entered a mental block and it won't happen for him there. :(

Hate to say it but him leaving is like a signing in itself. He was never a Barca type player.

• 2 months later...

@Cannabis @RandoEFC

EVERTON EYE UP GOMES

It could be a busy end to the summer for Everton as they are lining up a move for Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes, according to The Daily Mail.

Gomes has slipped further down the pecking order at Barcelona following the signings of Arthur, Arturo Vidal and Malcom this summer and he is no longer required by Ernesto Valverde.

It is unclear whether Everton are pursuing a loan or permanent deal for the Portuguese international.

• Subscriber

Not hugely exciting if you look at it objectively but I'm happy to let the deadline day mayhem skew my judgement and go nuts if we get him.

14 hours 15 minutes to go. Can we get Bernard, Mina, another centre half and Gomes over the line? Second centre back is a priority over a midfielder.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

How reliable?

Well I got it from RAC1 which is a Catalan radio station and I expect they know if a medical is going on at the installations. Obviously they’re assuming its for Everton as they didn’t mention any names of Everton staff. 

He was excellent for Valencia but was never the right fit for Barcelona. I don't see why he can't do well at Everton though.

Mina, Digne and Andre Gomes are all very good players, they are simply just not Barcelona type of players. Hopefully they do well and get Everton back up there fighting for European places.

• Administrator

you'd think this all these signings would increase expectations for Everton fans so you could argue there's more pressure on the players and staff to deliver this season...

• Subscriber

We haven't spent "so much". Bernard was free, Gomes is on loan, Zouma is another loan if that goes through, any costs here are probably covered by loan fees/not having to pay wages of Mirallas and Williams being loaned out, more or less anyway.

Mina and Richarlison cost a combined £65m-£70m. We've recouped half of that if not more by bringing in transfer fees for Robles, Funes Mori, Klaassen and Rooney, and I'll be very surprised if we don't bring in more money for at least one or two of Besic, Bolasie, Vlasic, Sandro or at a stretch, Martina. We've also reduced the wage bill and clearly improved the squad.

We've invested very little into the squad this summer in reality, others have spent an awful lot more compared to what they spent last season.

The expectations for this season are for Brands and Silva to show us that they can be trusted with the future of the club. Off the pitch they've passed their first test emphatically unless all of these signings flop badly. Now we can wait and see what they do on the pitch. Obviously we want good results and to see a tactical approach that you can build a club around, aside from that I want to see evidence of our manager's tactics and coaching to have an impact on our players, especially the new and young ones. If I see that and we finish 10th then so be it, as long as we can see that we'll improve.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

We haven't spent "so much". Bernard was free, Gomes is on loan, Zouma is another loan if that goes through, any costs here are probably covered by loan fees/not having to pay wages of Mirallas and Williams being loaned out, more or less anyway.

Mina and Richarlison cost a combined £65m-£70m. We've recouped half of that if not more by bringing in transfer fees for Robles, Funes Mori, Klaassen and Rooney, and I'll be very surprised if we don't bring in more money for at least one or two of Besic, Bolasie, Vlasic, Sandro or at a stretch, Martina. We've also reduced the wage bill and clearly improved the squad.

We've invested very little into the squad this summer in reality, others have spent an awful lot more compared to what they spent last season.

The expectations for this season are for Brands and Silva to show us that they can be trusted with the future of the club. Off the pitch they've passed their first test emphatically unless all of these signings flop badly. Now we can wait and see what they do on the pitch. Obviously we want good results and to see a tactical approach that you can build a club around, aside from that I want to see evidence of our manager's tactics and coaching to have an impact on our players, especially the new and young ones. If I see that and we finish 10th then so be it, as long as we can see that we'll improve.

On face value you've signed potential coupled with quality based on the recent history of various of the players that have come in. As you well know, there are no guarantees in football and all you can do especially at the level your are battling with (same as us at Arsenal these days whether or not some want to believe that) is try and bring in noted potential.

Archived