talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven N'Zonzi Moves to Roma

Former Stoke City and Blackburn Rovers midfielder N'Zonzi was reportedly an Arsenal transfer target in January and the Frenchman is once again linked with a move to the Emirates in the British press now that Unai Emery, who worked with the 29-year-old at Sevilla, has been confirmed as Arsene Wenger's successor.

At 6ft 5ins and able to actively cover space in front of the back four, N'Zonzi appears to be the perfect fit for an Arsenal middle third that has lacked such a presence in recent years.

Indeed, no La Liga midfielder won more aerial duels than N'Zonzi this season (103), and he won the ball regularly with a combined tackles and interceptions average of 2.79 per 90.

He's also a fine conductor of play, ranking in the top five La Liga midfielders for accurate (66.18) and forward passes (23.4) per 90. With a reported contractual release clause of £35million, N'Zonzi could be the perfect midfield reinforcement without breaking the bank.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of me would love this signing but part of me is very wary.  On form he's been a monster for Sevilla in all competitions but he has gone through patches where he's gone missing and when saying "missing" we really are talking about disappearing in whole games, important games.  This season he finished the campaign very well but during the middle part of the season he was terrible and even got dropped.  The change in coaches from Berizzo to Montella didn't help matters but all the same his position demands full commitment in every game as if that part of midfield fails you will lose against anyone.  Arsenal have too many fragile minded players as it is and that's the part that would scare me about this signing.

All the same, defensive "pivots" at the top end are difficult to find, expensive and convincing a top one to come right now for Arsenal wouldn't be easy.  Just tired of experiments at Arsenal to be honest.

I've not seen N'Zonzi regularly since he last played in England and I was surprised to hear he'd been doing so well, only really saw him against United where he looked head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. If Arsenal are getting that level of performance week in, week out then it'd be a no brainer signing.

@SirBalon I was watching some highlight footage of Seri earlier, can't say much about him as a player but definitely looks like the sort of midfielder you've lacked since Viera left in that he looks like he'd take control of a midfield in all three thirds. I can see why Barce dropped their interest in him considering his age and potential cost compared to Arthur...both players I've not seen loads of but from what I have look very similar.

Having a 2 man midfield of N'Zonzi and Seri may not be too bad...but I do think signing Seri puts Jack Wilshere out of the picture.

• Administrator

Nzonzi would be a quality signing for Arsenal. Much better than any other midfielder with a defensive mind. A partnership of he and Rasmey would do well.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nzonzi would be a quality signing for Arsenal. Much better than any other midfielder with a defensive mind. A partnership of he and Rasmey would do well.

Feel like Ramsey is a bit more advanced to partner NZonzi, would say someone like Wilshere or Xhaka would end up doing it at the moment

• 1 month later...

Arsenal are in talks to sign Sevilla midfielder Steven N'Zonzi, according to Sky sources.

Gunners boss Unai Emery worked with N'Zonzi during his time at the Spanish club.

N'Zonzi previously enjoyed spells with Blackburn Rovers and Stoke before joining Sevilla in 2015.

The 29-year-old, who is currently on international duty with France at the World Cup, has made 136 appearances for Sevilla, scoring eight times.

Emery has already made three senior signings since replacing Arsene Wenger at the Emirates.

Stephan Lichtsteiner has arrived on a free transfer from Juventus, while the Gunners have also signed German goalkeeper Bernd Leno from Bayer Leverkusen and Greek defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos from Borussia Dortmund.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Steven N'Zonzi - Reuniting with Emery at Arsenal?
  • Administrator

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/steven-nzonzi-transfer-saga-takes-12967451

Arsenal are locked in talks with Sevilla over midfielder Steven N'Zonzi.

The France World Cup winner has been a long-time target of the Gunners and has a €40m release clause in his contract.

However, France Football claim the north Londoners are attempting to lower the asking price for the former Blackburn and Stoke star.

N'Zonzi played under new Arsenal boss Unai Emery before the Spanish coach left for Paris Saint-Germain.

The 29-year-old was a regular during Emery's time at Sevilla, scoring four goals in 47 games, and was a member of their Europa League-winning side.

However, when asked about a potential reunion with N'Zonzi earlier this month, Emery was keeping his cards close to his chest.

He said: "I know him but we haven’t made a move for him."

• The title was changed to Steven N'Zonzi - Arsenal & Sevilla Still Negotiating Deal

N'Zonzi can do better than the current Arsenal if you ask me, with all due respects to the London club. He deserves a crack in a Champions League club. This is pretty much a side step in many ways, when he could have made a move forward considering how much he has improved over the last 3 years. Emery knows how to get the best from him, although the best he will do there is win another Europa league as the chances of Emery having them challenging for the league are zero for me. He's not cut for that and even failed to win the league at PSG in his first season, which is saying a lot.

There were links to Juventus last season and that would have been a far better move. I'm also surprised that Atletico have never gone in for him when you consider how cheap he is going(for today's market) and how he fits their system.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Both clubs have been negotiating the deal since May???

Flippin’ eck! That’s a record!!!

nah there's been other transfer sagas that have taken longer!

I remember Hazard's took ages before the Chelsea move.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

N'Zonzi can do better than the current Arsenal if you ask me, with all due respects to the London club. He deserves a crack in a Champions League club. This is pretty much a side step in many ways, when he could have made a move forward considering how much he has improved over the last 3 years. Emery knows how to get the best from him, although the best he will do there is win another Europa league as the chances of Emery having them challenging for the league are zero for me. He's not cut for that and even failed to win the league at PSG in his first season, which is saying a lot.

There were links to Juventus last season and that would have been a far better move. I'm also surprised that Atletico have never gone in for him when you consider how cheap he is going(for today's market) and how he fits their system.

I reckon the reason Atleti never went in for him (there was some interest apparently at one point) is because of his dips in form which he does suffer from. Even last season this occurred and that’s where Sevilla lost their early momentum. When he’s good, he’s very good. But then that happens to him!

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I reckon the reason Atleti never went in for him (there was some interest apparently at one point) is because of his dips in form which he does suffer from. Even last season this occurred and that’s where Sevilla lost their early momentum. When he’s good, he’s very good. But then that happens to him!

This may be why Juventus didn't end up going ahead either.

To be honest, I think he will be a great signing for  Arsenal and you certainly look in better shape than Sevilla and more capable of pushing forward, but at his age now, I do believe him going to a club that reach the latter stages of the Champs league and fight for their league is the type of move he should be making. This isn't as a mark of disrespect to Arsenal mind as 15 years ago N'Zonzi wouldn't have even gotten in their midfield. I just think that currently he could have made a different move considering he is no longer getting any younger and has been in the form of his life in the last few years.

As you said though, due to him not being as consistent as the best of the best players, this is what could have put off those mentioned clubs.

• The title was changed to Steven N'Zonzi - Roma Close to Signing Sevilla Midfielder
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

The very latest without details at this moment is that Steven N'Zonzi's move to AS Roma is off!!!

Barca nipped in again xD ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Steven N'Zonzi Moves to Roma
  • 8 months later...

He's absolutely finished.

Another atrocious performance for Roma this weekend. Like most of Monchi's signings, he's been a downgrade on the players he has supposed to replace.

Not half the player Strootman was for Roma, and doesn't come close to caring as much.

A huge waste of money.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived