• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Toby Alderweireld - Spurs Extend Contract Til 2020

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Toby Alderweireld insists his prolonged spell out of Tottenham's first-team last season was "unjustified" and admits he still unsure about his future.

Alderweireld struggled for opportunities after returning from a hamstring injury midway through the 2017-18 campaign, with Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino preferring to pair Jan Vertonghen and Davinson Sanchez at centre-back.

Pochettino insists Alderweireld's omission was purely down to form and not related to reports of a stalemate over a new contract for the Belgian, who has just one year left on his current deal.

Despite his lack of game-time last season, Alderweireld was included in Belgium's squad for the World Cup, where he made six appearances as the Red Devils finished third.

The 29-year-old believes his solid form in Russia proves he is back to best after a frustrating spell with his club.

Alderweireld finished third with Belgium at the World Cup in Russia

"I was very focused on this tournament," he said.

"I wanted to prove something to me, show that the period before the tournament in which I, for whatever reason, did not play, it was unjustified.

"I wanted to show that I'm still Toby, same as in November."

Sky Sports News understands Chelsea, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germainare all interested in signing Alderweireld, but the Belgian is planning for next season with Spurs.

"I really know nothing," he said. "In my head, I'm just going back to Tottenham. We'll see."

Chelsea, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain are all interested in signing Alderweireld this summer, Sky Sports News understands.

• 3 weeks later...

Man Utd are set to complete a £60m move for Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireldin the next 48 hours, says the Sunday Mirror.

The Red Devils had previously been unwilling to meet Spurs' £75m valuation of the 29-year-old, but a breakthrough now appears to have been reached between the two clubs.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Toby Alderweireld - Spurs Extend Contract Til 2020
  • Administrator
Just now, Cicero said:

Makes no difference, no? Just means that if any club bids 25 million for him, Spurs have to accept. 

Seems awfully low for the standard of defender they'd be buying.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Makes no difference, no? Just means that if any club bids 25 million for him, Spurs have to accept. 

Correct, just a way of us not losing him on a free.

His agent has been giving him awful advice though. He's been sat on £50k a week for years, we offered to put him up to 130k a few years ago, as that's what they asked, but they changed the goalposts so we wouldn't budge on that.

Instead of being on this increased wage the whole time, he's had a pittance in comparison to his worth, and if we are being honest,  it probably made little difference to his ability to leave now or not. We'd have sold for a big offer anyway. He's not going to make up that difference in wage - over £7 million - in his new contract so he's been terribly advised.

We've got the best out of him, and made a £14 million profit, so it's not the end of the world. He's still a quality centre back though with at least a few high quality years left so it will be a shame if he goes. Just hope it's abroad and not someone in England

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I thought the year extension cancels that, but he can walk after 2020?

Na, extension just means he can bought for £25 million up until the final two weeks of the transfer window this summer

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Oh are you sad he is leaving then? 

To an extent, he's class and will be a loss but we can overcome that.

Eriksen is the one that is going to be the hard one to get over. Think we will sell him in the summer. He wants to go to Madrid/Barca.

11 minutes ago, Storts said:

Correct, just a way of us not losing him on a free.

His agent has been giving him awful advice though. He's been sat on £50k a week for years, we offered to put him up to 130k a few years ago, as that's what they asked, but they changed the goalposts so we wouldn't budge on that.

Instead of being on this increased wage the whole time, he's had a pittance in comparison to his worth, and if we are being honest,  it probably made little difference to his ability to leave now or not. We'd have sold for a big offer anyway. He's not going to make up that difference in wage - over £7 million - in his new contract so he's been terribly advised.

We've got the best out of him, and made a £14 million profit, so it's not the end of the world. He's still a quality centre back though with at least a few high quality years left so it will be a shame if he goes. Just hope it's abroad and not someone in England

You have Sanchez and Foyth coming through. Reckon you lot are set long term. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You have Sanchez and Foyth coming through. Reckon you lot are set long term. 

We do - and I like the way we work in that regard, trying to get them settled before the inevitable.

However at this moment in time neither are anywhere near Toby in terms of consistency and influence. Sanchez is ahead of Foyth but he still has a lot of nervy moments and Foyth whilst very talented is so lightweight. I personally think we will need to sign another senior centre half if Toby goes because I don't trust those two to step in right now and play at the same high level as Toby. Vertonghen needs a new deal also, but he's better with Toby than with anyone else.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

We do - and I like the way we work in that regard, trying to get them settled before the inevitable.

However at this moment in time neither are anywhere near Toby in terms of consistency and influence. Sanchez is ahead of Foyth but he still has a lot of nervy moments and Foyth whilst very talented is so lightweight. I personally think we will need to sign another senior centre half if Toby goes because I don't trust those two to step in right now and play at the same high level as Toby. Vertonghen needs a new deal also, but he's better with Toby than with anyone else.

Is he?, look at this pic, he looks bigger than Harry

juan-foyth-21-tottenham-1542638536-18877

How much is he weighting?, if that's the problem just put him on fucking diet and send him to the gym, after all it's easier to gain weight than to lose it!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The topic was locked

Archived