talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are Senegal better than England?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In squads, no they aren't better. But you can make a very strong argument if they impress in one or 2 games. Just like Algeria at the last world cup, not better than England on paper but a hell of a lot better on the pitch.

Same goes for England.

• Subscriber

In theory they aren't but I wouldn't be gobsmacked if they outperform us. It's a lot about how you can make your team greater than the sum of its parts and for too long England have overlooked that in favour of shoehorning players into the side.

Southgate however seems to have realised this so I'm actually quite hopeful we won't be completely humiliated this summer.

It cannot possibly be worse than either of the last two.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean with those 4 its probably better on paper.

I've not seen as much of Senegal as I would've liked but they did underperform in the AFCON after I thought they would win it. That maybe says something. That's why I'm reserving judgement. I don't think they are better on paper but its not like they are far worse either.

If I was Senegal, I'd just concentrate on making it out the group. Poland and Colombia will be bloody tough opponents to finish above IMO and if Senegal manage that, they'll have deserved a second round game.

7 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

we can discuss it all we want here, base our arguments from statistics and shit, but one thing's for sure,  that question can only be answered this summer on how far can these teams go in the tournament .......

Don't say that I'm trying to create discussion xD

1 hour ago, bozziovai said:

we can discuss it all we want here, base our arguments from statistics and shit, but one thing's for sure,  that question can only be answered this summer on how far can these teams go in the tournament .......

Tough crowd.

He's done you there @The Palace Fan

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Tough crowd.

He's done you there @The Palace Fan

it's understandable that we have a lot of scenarios in our heads at the moment due to pure excitement for the World Cup just a month away .............. i'm not trying to be a smart-arse though.   coz even me have tons of WHAT IFs but i just refrain myself and wait for the tournament to unfold  :P  

Just now, bozziovai said:

it's understandable that we have a lot of scenarios in our heads at the moment due to pure excitement for the World Cup just a month away .............. i'm not trying to be a smart-arse though.   coz even me have tons of WHAT IFs but i just refrain myself and wait for the tournament to unfold  :P  

Wise man. There's no flies on you fella.

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Wise man. There's no flies on you fella.

i had a very bad experience last 1998, was expecting Brazil to walk over France in the Finals only to witness the destruction of Brazil by Zidane, didn't went to school for 3 days and it took me a couple of weeks to get over Brazil's loss :P  :P 

Senegal aren't better than England at all.  But they have a few players that can tip the balance to one side if they're really on their day and your team doesn't play at 100% by not taking them seriously enough.

Anyone can beat almost anyone if the planets align the,selves correctly if you know what I mean.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 17:44, Dan said:

In theory they aren't but I wouldn't be gobsmacked if they outperform us. It's a lot about how you can make your team greater than the sum of its parts and for too long England have overlooked that in favour of shoehorning players into the side.

Southgate however seems to have realised this so I'm actually quite hopeful we won't be completely humiliated this summer.

It cannot possibly be worse than either of the last two.

Don't really disagree with you generally, but playing walker as a centre back has shown that the old frailties when it comes to team selection are still there for England.

People talk about him being there for his pace, but what about, you know, defending? hes already cost the team a goal (though you cant really blame him 100% as hes not familiar with the position) and when you play a team who can attack you, he might well get exposed a lot more.

I was impressed by Senegal,  and they certainly have enough about them to cause England issues - it also looks like a game between the two might be likely now.

• Administrator

I'm not sure about Senegal. Both their goals were very fortunate. On another day that game stays 0-0 as they weren't that threatening before the opening goal. 

Archived