talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are Senegal better than England?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Paulh_85 said:

Don't really disagree with you generally, but playing walker as a centre back has shown that the old frailties when it comes to team selection are still there for England.

People talk about him being there for his pace, but what about, you know, defending? hes already cost the team a goal (though you cant really blame him 100% as hes not familiar with the position) and when you play a team who can attack you, he might well get exposed a lot more.

I was impressed by Senegal,  and they certainly have enough about them to cause England issues - it also looks like a game between the two might be likely now.

That's all fair and I agree to an extent, and if Walker is shown up at centre half, then I agree Southgate's gotten it wrong - but was Walker's error down to poor defending (ie, positioning) or just a moment of madness? I'd argue the latter.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Dan said:

That's all fair and I agree to an extent, and if Walker is shown up at centre half, then I agree Southgate's gotten it wrong - but was Walker's error down to poor defending (ie, positioning) or just a moment of madness? I'd argue the latter.

it was Maguire's fault obvs

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

I would say he's a right back who's large part of his game is speed and physicality, whilst good technically it's not his strongest asset and so moving to centre back and defending like a centre back will cause strange decision making for a centre back. Was never a penalty but he could have dealt with it better.

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

i'd argue both, he panicked IMO and was trying to shield a ball he could have dealt with far better.

or to put it another way, would Cahill have given that penalty away? will never know 100% but i'd gamble on no.

The problem goes back to the previous point about shoehorning players in, he obviously likes trippier out on the right but doesnt want to drop Walker. Its a big call for sure but for me seems the most logical one

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Paulh_85 said:

i'd argue both, he panicked IMO and was trying to shield a ball he could have dealt with far better.

or to put it another way, would Cahill have given that penalty away? will never know 100% but i'd gamble on no.

The problem goes back to the previous point about shoehorning players in, he obviously likes trippier out on the right but doesnt want to drop Walker. Its a big call for sure but for me seems the most logical one

I like both but Walker's best attributes as mentioned above is his pace and ability to get up and down the flank as an attacking full back.

I'd have Walker playing where Tripper is, as a RWB, and have 3 natural centre-backs playing in the CB positions.

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

I like both but Walker's best attributes as mentioned above is his pace and ability to get up and down the flank as an attacking full back.

I'd have Walker playing where Tripper is, as a RWB, and have 3 natural centre-backs playing in the CB positions.

I think that either way you do it is better than the current set up. Personally id edge for Trippier, not as athletic as Walker sure, but is more productive with the ball in the final third.

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Paulh_85 said:

To be honest, prior to that I think Walker had looked fine in the middle. There were a couple of instances in the friendlies where I felt it was beneficial having him where he was.

Trippier I wouldn't be dropping after Monday. I thought he, along with Henderson, Kane and Stones were our best players.

Archived