talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rooney Returns To Everton With More Hair Than He Left With

He gets so much stick (contractual stuff is probably deserved), he isn't the same player as he was 3-4 years ago. He admits that. He has had a long career already. He has achieved so much for England and United. Deserves respect in my opinion. I hope he can find some form for Everton. Glad to see him not go to China or America.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never been his biggest fan, but I think this is a quality signing for Everton. I think he has been waning at United and it's been clear for a while he was no longer committed there. If Everton can rejuvenate him, it could be a massive coup for them.

The videos a bit cringe.

Not a bad signing if theyre still getting £90m for Lukaku.

Best thing to do is play him purely as a centre forward in my opinion, anywhere else and it's pointless having him get in the way of promising midfielders.

Seems like good business for everton as far as double deals go, although my gut feel is his prospects aren't great. 

Hopefully he can put on some reasonable form and stabilise some of the anti hype around him and prove me and others wrong.

Assuming a new striker will be signed who does he push out of the first 11?

I can see him bagging a good 10 goals. He isn't who he once was we all know that, he's been a first squad player since what 02? Hope he can keep some form up. 15 mil and 150 k isn't terrible for him or the club, hopefully it works out for both.

28 minutes ago, HK85 said:

£15 mil?

Isn't that what United paid to bin him off? That's a good fucking sign isn't it? Lol.

My best friend is an Evertonian and he's here visiting me, and he hates this transfer.

I'm just not sure where exactly he'll factor in. Schneiderlin and Gueye are fairly undisputed starters in midfield Id guess, and Klassen should be the #10. 

Which means Rooney goes up top. That means they've not got Lukaku's physique and pace up top, which they relied on so much. And besides Bolasie they dont have that much pace on the wings, afaik. 

However, they could perhaps adapt their style to a more patient, technical approach, which could be really interesting. 

Stupid transfer. Those wages could go to somebody who is gonna be the future of your club under Koeman. He may do well, but wouldnt you rather throw that Lukaku money at a top class striker prospect instead of fat arse? I get the connection, he'll probably become a fab favourite again, but other than that reason I don't see what he brings to your team.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, FOYM said:

Stupid transfer. Those wages could go to somebody who is gonna be the future of your club under Koeman. He may do well, but wouldnt you rather throw that Lukaku money at a top class striker prospect instead of fat arse? I get the connection, he'll probably become a fab favourite again, but other than that reason I don't see what he brings to your team.

like? there's plenty of youngsters there anyway and it's not like Everton are short of money without Lukaku's transfer. 

I don't think he'll be a regular for them by any stretch.

Mourinho was obviously desperate to get rid but I still think Everton have got the better end of the Rooney/Lukaku deal, by a distance as well.

9 minutes ago, FOYM said:

You could say they have already got a top class prospect in Sandro, he will have plenty of time to grow. Rooney will be a solid addition if they can light a fire under him and he has only signed for two years.

Given his professionalism and tenacity, and the fact he's no where near as old as people make him out to be, I reckon this will be a good signing.

I don't think he will be a key player but Rooney at his current age with a point to prove at a club he has an affection with should make an impact for at least one season.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Given his professionalism and tenacity, and the fact he's no where near as old as people make him out to be, I reckon this will be a good signing.

I don't think he will be a key player but Rooney at his current age with a point to prove at a club he has an affection with should make an impact for at least one season.

I do think he's an early bloomer though. It does surprise you that he's 31 but he seems like he's always 5 years ahead of where he should be. Playing like a 23 year old at 18, playing like a 36 year old at 31.

I could be wrong but I think hearts have ruled heads a bit too much with this one.

• Subscriber

Two year contract, which is a sensible option. It's a bit crazy how much he's getting paid for a club like Everton and if there really is that much of an affinity, I'd have thought he could have taken a bit more of a pay cut so that he fits in with our wage structure in a way that would reflect his likely value on the pitch which is not going to be as our most important player.

However, I trust the club and I trust the manager. I'm not sure whether we'll see a Wayne Rooney that's anywhere near his best, or even good enough to hold down a regular starting berth. I am confident, though, that we will see a Rooney more motivated than he has been for the last few years at least, and a man who knows how to win trophies, and I think it would just about make his career if he was part of the first Everton team to win a trophy since 1995.

To expect Wayne Rooney to start every week and score 20+ goals for us this season would be pretty dumb, but dismissing the ability of a motivated Wayne Rooney to make a positive difference to a side in the position we're in at the moment is also pretty dumb for me. Only time will tell.

Archived