talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super Cup 2018: REAL MADRID 2-4 ATLÉTICO MADRID (aet)

football forum

17 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Of course it’s a trophy mate. And it does go on the club trophy honours list. xD

The Supercups (charity shield) are minor trophies but they are trophies. Plus the European Super Cup does have more meaning.

I think you’re talking about things like the Emirates Cup and the like. 

No im not talking about emirates cup. My point is a trophy won by winning just one match isnt a major trophy, its a friendly spin it however you want. 

8 hours ago, bozziovai said:

dude, this isn't a friendly by a means.    and this trophy should be counted and be respected in the highest order.

remember on HOW these teams get into this game.     you should win the UCL and the Europa to be able to play this game.   so this game has meaning.

i did not watch the game though, but seeing the final result, as a madrid fan, i smiled a mile wide.    up your arse Perez !!!!

highest order xD   

You win a trophy for winning the CL or europa already

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In order to partake in this, you have to win a European competition, you aren't just randomly in it for nothing. Due to that, I wouldn't say this was a friendly at all. It's not the Champs league, La Liga or the Copa Del Rey, but it's still a trophy. If Real Madrid, the biggest and most successful club in the world, take it seriously, then who are the rest of us to say it's meaningless?

I like the European Super Cup myself as it's still a European competition. The Spanish Super Cup/Charity shield are pretty shit, but even then, you have to win a big trophy to compete in it, so it's not on the level of a friendly tournament, it's still official, just not the biggest of honours.

40 minutes ago, Asura said:

No im not talking about emirates cup. My point is a trophy won by winning just one match isnt a major trophy, its a friendly spin it however you want. 

highest order xD   

You win a trophy for winning the CL or europa already

of course.     this match is to see who is the true "king of europe".    a battle between the winners of UEFAs great club tournaments.

and your argument of WINNING JUST ONE MATCH ISN'T A MAJOR TROPHY is nothing short of laughable.     People have already explained to you to who are the worthy teams that are to play in this one match but still you can't get the point.

take for example, La Liga's Spanish Super Cup.    the setting is the champions versus the winner of the copa del rey, Barcelona won both last season, so what's the point of playing it against Sevilla ???   if you want to call a match a friendly, then the SSC is it.

5 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

of course.     this match is to see who is the true "king of europe".    a battle between the winners of UEFAs great club tournaments.

and your argument of WINNING JUST ONE MATCH ISN'T A MAJOR TROPHY is nothing short of laughable.     People have already explained to you to who are the worthy teams that are to play in this one match but still you can't get the point.

take for example, La Liga's Spanish Super Cup.    the setting is the champions versus the winner of the copa del rey, Barcelona won both last season, so what's the point of playing it against Sevilla ???   if you want to call a match a friendly, then the SSC is it.

spanish super cup, english charity shield, uefa super cup they are all the same, useless friendlies

2 minutes ago, Asura said:

spanish super cup, english charity shield, uefa super cup they are all the same, useless friendlies

ok.   if that's how you see them.   then fine.   but i'm not agreeing your opinion is correct though ( on the USC )

3 hours ago, bozziovai said:

That doesn't make sense as an argument seeing as the competitions purposely exist on different tiers. There isn't a need to determine "the true kings" of Europe. It's the Champions League winners. It's like needing to have the Premier League winners face the Championship winners to determine the true champions of England.

At least in domestic Super Cups it's a case of the best league team against the best cup team so at least there's some theoretical reasoning behind it.

11 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

In order to partake in this, you have to win a European competition, you aren't just randomly in it for nothing. Due to that, I wouldn't say this was a friendly at all. It's not the Champs league, La Liga or the Copa Del Rey, but it's still a trophy. If Real Madrid, the biggest and most successful club in the world, take it seriously, then who are the rest of us to say it's meaningless?

I like the European Super Cup myself as it's still a European competition. The Spanish Super Cup/Charity shield are pretty shit, but even then, you have to win a big trophy to compete in it, so it's not on the level of a friendly tournament, it's still official, just not the biggest of honours.

Supporters who make the footballing world go round, so our opinion is of as much value as a clubs or players.

On 17/08/2018 at 04:22, Danny said:

Supporters who make the footballing world go round, so our opinion is of as much value as a clubs or players.

It's only really English supporters though and when you compare a tiny island in Europe to the rest of the world, it's a meaningless amount of people. 

Nobody is saying it's a massive trophy mind, but comparing it to the Emirates Cup is something only an English football fan would do to be honest. 

How many teams get the chance to partake in this fixture? Not many. 

On 16/08/2018 at 07:26, The Palace Fan said:

Fingers crossed Atleti win the league this season. They are more than equipped to do so.

I reckon they have more chance of winning the Champions league, as strange as it sounds. But they are still more than equipped to fight for it all. Very strong squad. 

25 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's only really English supporters though and when you compare a tiny island in Europe to the rest of the world, it's a meaningless amount of people. 

Nobody is saying it's a massive trophy mind, but comparing it to the Emirates Cup is something only an English football fan would do to be honest. 

How many teams get the chance to partake in this fixture? Not many. 

No but to suggest a supporters opinion is worth nothing because a club has taken the opposite stance is ridiculous.

It's a fixture clubs would like to play because of how they got there, but no one dreams of winning the European Super Cup, especially when one of the sides partaking got knocked out of the competition early on that their opponents went on to win.

I was speaking about Real's supporters as well  mate, anyone associated with them. They have seen their club do it all but still want to win games like this. It's still an official UEFA trophy that counts towards honours. It's not the league, but it's not the Gamper Trophy either. 

3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I was speaking about Real's supporters as well  mate, anyone associated with them. They have seen their club do it all but still want to win games like this. It's still an official UEFA trophy that counts towards honours. It's not the league, but it's not the Gamper Trophy either. 

For some reason I reckon that in Spain they see the European Super Cup as more valuable than the Club World Cup. At least that's always the impression I've had.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived