talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aleksandar Mitrovic Signs Permanently For Fulham

Aleksandar Mitrovic has hinted that his future may lie at Fulham after helping them return to the Premier League after a four-year absence.

The Serbian striker started for Fulham in the play-off final against Aston Villa at Wembley on Saturday, which Fulham won 1-0 to join Wolves and Cardiff in the top flight next season.

Mitrovic joined Fulham on loan from Newcastle in January and was a key player in their push for promotion, scoring 12 goals in 20 games for the Cottagers.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

if Jokanovic stays, it's a big pulling point for Mitrovic to join. If I remember corectly, the manager was the reason Mitrovic went to Fulham after a deal elsewhere pulled through. 

Perhaps he can have a better time with Fulham in the Premier League than he did at Newcastle. 

• 1 month later...

It sounds like this deal is very much on now that he has returned from the World Cup.

I think its in everybody's interest this deal is conducted as quickly as possible. Mitrovic needs to play somewhere where he is settled, Newcastle need the funding for their own transfer reactivity, and Fulham are in need of a lift given there difficult start to the window.

• Administrator

would love him to stay at Fulham. I like the way he plays and he's a good striker. Big nuisance for defenders and will get in the right positions to get goals. Fulham would do well keeping him on. 

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like they're squabbling over two million.

Somebody should advise Fulham that Mike Ashley would rather not sell at all than drop his valuation over two million. I'm surprised they haven't paid the asking price as it seems fairly reasonable. The benefits of having him back in that team to have two and a half weeks preparation for the first couple of games of the season would be more beneficial than two million.

• The title was changed to Aleksandar Mitrovic Signs Permanently For Fulham
  • Administrator

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/july/30/aleksandar-mitrovic-returns

We are delighted to confirm Aleksandar Mitrović’s return on a permanent deal for an undisclosed fee from Newcastle United.

The popular striker has signed a five-year deal, keeping him at Craven Cottage until at least the summer of 2023, and will wear the number nine shirt.

Mitrović originally joined the Whites on loan at the 11th hour on deadline day in January, and went on to have a hugely significant impact in our promotion to the Premier League.

The 23-year-old striker proved to be the perfect fit for Fulham, scoring 12 times in just 17 starts to help the team reach Wembley.

Instantly taken to by the fans, the sounds of the 39,000-strong White Wall belting out “Mitro’s On Fire” during the celebrations at the national stadium will live long in the memory.

Such was his popularity, he came fifth in the voting for Fulham’s Player of the Season award, despite spending less than half the campaign in SW6.

Mitrović began his career in his homeland with Serbian giants FK Partizan, making his professional debut with their affiliate club FK Teleoptik.

Despite his tender age, Mitrović was top scorer for Partizan’s first team in 2012/13 as they claimed the title, and his form soon attracted the attention of Belgian outfit Anderlecht, who broke their transfer record to sign him in the summer of 2013.

His debut season in Belgium was a prolific one, as he netted 16 times to help his new employers win the domestic title.

Mitrović was in even better form the following term as he scored 23 goals, prompting Newcastle to bring him over to the Premier League.

As is the case at Fulham, he quickly endeared himself to the St James’ Park faithful with his wholehearted displays, and ended his first season on Tyneside with nine Premier League goals to his name in the Magpies’ ultimately unsuccessful battle against relegation.

mitro6_604_signing.jpg

He did, however, help the club make an immediate return to the top flight, and he departs Newcastle having netted 17 times.

In the summer of 2013 he was awarded his first cap for Serbia, and he now boasts an impressive record of 17 goals in 40 outings for his country, who he recently represented at the 2018 World Cup, where he scored in the controversial 2-1 defeat by Switzerland.

Speaking at Motspur Park as the ink dried on his contract, Mitrović told fulhamfctv: “I’m very glad and happy and proud to finally be here and officially become a Fulham player. I’m happy to the moon and back.

“I have love for the fans. They’re amazing fans and I have a really good connection with them.

“This is a big club and last year we made history, we did big things, and I want to continue this. We want to keep making big things, and with all the fans behind us I think we can go far.”

Tony Khan added: “I’m delighted to announce that Aleksandar Mitrović is back where he belongs at Fulham Football Club! We have reached an agreement to bring Mitro home!

“He was a hero in our run to promotion, and from the moment he arrived at Motspur and began working with us, we’ve always wanted Mitro on a permanent; I told him that after the Final at Wembley, and I’m thrilled to make it official today. Come on Fulham!”

27 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

20m or anything in that region for a player who couldn't get into a Newcastle side ahead of Dwight Gayle and presumably some other players (?) seems to be somewhat questionable to me.

Did you see him play for Fulham during their hunting down of a play off place? He was instrumental to their play. If he can control his temper throughout the season, Fulham could get a better return out of him than Newcastle did.

Or we might find out the Championship is his level.

Archived