talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Eredivisie - Netherlands

football forum

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Who was the right-back? He got a good telling off by Onana (rightly so) for letting their left-winger constantly get the better of him. And he could never seem to mark him properly either and it led to a couple of the goals.

Mazraoui  is the right back,  he has been quality this season though just had a really poor game and also against Heerenveen last week. 

Just realized that ESPN+ added some Eredivisie matches to their service, thus allowing me to watch 4-5 games a week of their choosing. 

This weekend, the matches they are showing are:

Ajax v VVV
Willem v FC Gronigen
Excelsior v Feyenoord
PSV v Fortuna

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Edwin van der Sar: Ajax chief executive says 'things are clicking' at Dutch giants

Edwin van der Sar says he still has things he wants to accomplish at Ajax as he aims to re-establish the Dutch giants as one of Europe's top clubs.

Ajax host Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final first leg on Wednesday (20:00 BST), having stunned holders Real Madrid in the last 16.

A 4-1 win in Madrid sent the four-time European champions into the last eight for the first time in 16 years.

"That feeling was immense," the Ajax chief executive told BBC Sport.

"The way we put ourselves forward, putting the name back on a lot of people's minds, that was fantastic."

Van der Sar, who was part of the last Ajax side to lift the Champions League trophy in 1995, returned to the Amsterdam club as marketing director when his playing career ended, before becoming CEO.

The former goalkeeper was initially approached by Ajax legend Johan Cruyff during his final season playing at Manchester United.

"He called me and said there was a possibility they were looking to find an ex-player, who has had a great and amazing career and create a position on the board of Ajax," said Van der Sar.

"I took on the challenge. I didn't know if I would like it - long meetings, hours on the negotiation tables, a lot of papers to read, representation jobs, going with Uefa, Fifa, the Dutch federation.

"Things are clicking. I am really happy with the place, the position, and the way Ajax is developing."

Alongside their Champions League run, Ajax are top of the Eredivisie as they look for a first league title since 2014 and have also reached the Dutch cup final.

Van der Sar's work has led to him being linked with a return to Manchester United in a similar role, but the 48-year-old former Netherlands international says that "is not on my mind".

"I am getting a lot of energy from it," he said of his Ajax role.

"It is hard work. I think you can only do this for clubs you have an affection with, and for the coming years, I am happy in Amsterdam.

"This year is fantastic. We want to win the league a couple of times, and after that, we will see what the world of football is going to bring me."

The Champions League quarter-final pits Van der Sar against another former side in Juventus, and Ajax are also likely to come up against Cristiano Ronaldo, one of his former United team-mates.

Ronaldo has not featured for Juve since he scored a hat-trick against Atletico Madrid in March, having suffered a thigh injury while on international duty for Portugal.

'The players believe in the project, the power of Ajax'

Ajax boast a crop of talented young players who have graduated from the club's impressive academy, but it is a tough job attempting to keep them together long enough to become successful.

Midfielder Frenkie de Jong, 21, has already agreed a deal to join Barcelona next season, while centre-back and captain Matthijs de Ligt, 19, and 21-year-old midfielder Donny van de Beek are also sought after.

Van der Sar says the continuity of reaching the Europa League final two years ago and making the Champions League quarter-finals this season is key to holding on to such talent.

"That's what we promised a couple of years ago when we stated the project to bring Ajax back to the European forefront, to the top 20 European clubs, regarding playing more regularly in the latter stages of European football," he explained.

"The players believe in the project, believe in the power of Ajax - how they can express themselves, how they can develop themselves.

"The leagues in the countries around us are probably more interesting and played at a higher level, but in general we are happy with the way we have moved things forward with Ajax, together with Marc Overmars as technical director to establish a squad that can compete at the highest level."

Van der Sar added: "If you are in the Premier League or at Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, you are at an end station. For us, it is difficult. We also have a good scouting department. It is not always easy.

"After two years, maybe they want to move on. We tend to develop or find good players, or great players who can become really great players - so there is a lot of interest in them.

"We have to keep them as level-headed as possible and make sure they give us as much of their time, effort and years before they take the next step."

As for Ajax emulating the side who won the 1995 Champions League, Van der Sar believes today's football climate will make that difficult.

"You see the strength of the Spanish league, the Premier League, Germany, France and Italy," he said. "The TV revenues are so much higher in those countries. It is very difficult to compete - but we are giving it quite a go this year.

"We have established a good team. We added some quality players to the players who have come from our academy. We are well positioned in the quarter-final, but there is a very long way to go with a very tough and good opponent."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47852322

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

1206215745_download(1).thumb.png.7dee24545f43a268a3e27f913ada6e78.png

Ajax: Do the Dutch giants have the right formula to succeed once more?

Are we witnessing the re-emergence of Ajax as a force in European football?

The four-time European champions - who gave the world Johan Cruyff, Patrick Kluivert, Marco van Basten and Dennis Bergkamp - have gone from the 2017 ignominy of failing to qualify for a Uefa competition to earning a place in the Champions League semi-finals.

Is this a fluke? Or should it come as no surprise?

Former academy player Jordi Cruyff, Johan's son, told BBC Radio 5 Live's Euro Leagues Podcast that De Godenzonen (Sons of the Gods) now have all the right ingredients.

'They've found a balance of youth and experience'

Barcelona-bound Frenkie de Jong, 21, defender Matthijs de Ligt, 19, winger David Neres, 22, and Hakim Ziyech, 26 - plus the more experienced Dusan Tadic, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Daley Blind - have helped Ajax not only overachieve in Europe but also lead the Eredivisie.

"Ajax at the moment have an amazing generation. The chemistry is there.

"They have a few players at 19, 20, 21 years of age - which comes every 10 years or so. The club are now benefiting, on and off the pitch, from having these good young stars.

"One of those has been sold to Barcelona [De Jong], but they have this golden hand.

"They have also changed something this season. They have not won the Dutch league since the 2013-14 season - in contrast to what they achieved this week and having reached the 2017 Europa League final - and have made some adjustments.

"The team has young talent, but in every part of the pitch, they have players with experience after spending some money to bring in Tadic and Blind.

"I think the experienced ones have guided the young and brought some balance.

"Ajax are now playing excellent football and lead the Dutch league from PSV Eindhoven on goal difference."

'A selling club, but in a better financial position'

"The reason Ajax haven't been in the Champions League semi-finals in recent years is because they cannot compete with the likes of the moneyed Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga teams.

"They are a selling club and the Netherlands is a selling country. It's not an end-station for players, it's a middle-station. It'll help you progress and it's somewhere that gives you a platform.

"Ajax understand their position but are now in a good financial situation which means if there are six high offers for players, they don't have to accept all six.

"If the central defender goes, Ajax have a back-up as a result of the forward thinking of bringing players in a few years ago.

"This year everything came together - the change of policy of bringing in older players helped them a lot and gave them the stability they need.

"But you can't argue with fact that Ajax is a school of education. It has been like this for many, many years and will continue to be for many, many years."

Can they win the Champions League this season?

"When you're in the last four and eliminate Real Madrid and Juventus en route - winning at their grounds - then that's not a coincidence any more. You have a right to dream.

"Liverpool are having an excellent year and Barcelona, as long as Lionel Messi is fit, will be favourite in every game they play.

"Now it's about the small details that can decide things. Ajax, for sure - the win in Italy will make them think they can beat anybody on their day."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47979324

• Subscriber

1031030201_download(1).thumb.png.7adb31b384baf294bb81cc3ec6db93bc.png

Champions League: Dutch FA cancels Eredivisie games before Ajax meet Tottenham

Dutch football chiefs have cancelled a full round of Eredivisie fixtures before Ajax meet Tottenham in the Champions League semi-finals.

Ajax were set to play De Graafschap on Sunday, 28 April, then travel to Spurs for the first leg on Tuesday, 30 April.

The Dutch FA, the KNVB, said the decision to cancel top-flight fixtures was taken to give Ajax "at least two full days of rest between games".

"Not only Ajax but all Dutch football benefits from this," it said.

All games have been cancelled to avoid Ajax and De Graafschap playing at the end of the season once other games have taken place, potentially compromising the competition.

The round of fixtures will instead be played on Wednesday, 15 May - subject to local authorities and police agreeing to the date changes.

The KNVB said the change was needed because Ajax were in the Champions League semi-finals, the Dutch Cup final and challenging for the Eredivisie title - but stressed it was about player welfare and not a decision designed to give the team an advantage over the Premier League side.

It added clubs agreed when the fixture list was compiled at the start of the season that changes may need to be made in "the very small chance that one of the clubs would go that far in the Champions League".

The KNVB met clubs on Thursday to discuss the plans - and it admitted many were not happy about the change.

Professional football director Eric Gudde said: "We are aware that it is impossible to satisfy everyone, but a knot must be made.

"There can be no question of full satisfaction because this is ultimately not pleasant for any of the people involved. What is really nice is the reason why this was necessary: the semi-final place of Ajax in the Champions League."

He also explained why all fixtures had to be cancelled, not just De Graafschap v Ajax. "That would mean that only this match was played after 12 May," he said.

"Clubs and fans deserve a fair and as exciting as possible end to the competition, hence the starting point of playing simultaneously on the last two match days.

"Ajax plays for the championship and De Graafschap is in the danger zone for relegation. Not only would the denouement remain in one game that is played later, this also gives De Graafschap more time to prepare for this perhaps decisive game than the other relegation candidates."

Gudde said moving the Ajax game back to 26 or 27 April was not possible because it would clash with King's Day celebrations in Amsterdam, one of the city's largest festivals, and cause "insurmountable problems".

Spurs play West Ham United at 12:30 BST on Saturday, 27 April. However, their league fixture against Bournemouth at 20:00 on Monday, 6 May - two days before the second leg of their semi-final - is expected to be moved by the Premier League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47987277

On 18/04/2019 at 18:23, CaaC - John said:

1206215745_download(1).thumb.png.7dee24545f43a268a3e27f913ada6e78.png

Ajax: Do the Dutch giants have the right formula to succeed once more?

Are we witnessing the re-emergence of Ajax as a force in European football?

The four-time European champions - who gave the world Johan Cruyff, Patrick Kluivert, Marco van Basten and Dennis Bergkamp - have gone from the 2017 ignominy of failing to qualify for a Uefa competition to earning a place in the Champions League semi-finals.

Is this a fluke? Or should it come as no surprise?

Former academy player Jordi Cruyff, Johan's son, told BBC Radio 5 Live's Euro Leagues Podcast that De Godenzonen (Sons of the Gods) now have all the right ingredients.

'They've found a balance of youth and experience'

Barcelona-bound Frenkie de Jong, 21, defender Matthijs de Ligt, 19, winger David Neres, 22, and Hakim Ziyech, 26 - plus the more experienced Dusan Tadic, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Daley Blind - have helped Ajax not only overachieve in Europe but also lead the Eredivisie.

"Ajax at the moment have an amazing generation. The chemistry is there.

"They have a few players at 19, 20, 21 years of age - which comes every 10 years or so. The club are now benefiting, on and off the pitch, from having these good young stars.

"One of those has been sold to Barcelona [De Jong], but they have this golden hand.

"They have also changed something this season. They have not won the Dutch league since the 2013-14 season - in contrast to what they achieved this week and having reached the 2017 Europa League final - and have made some adjustments.

"The team has young talent, but in every part of the pitch, they have players with experience after spending some money to bring in Tadic and Blind.

"I think the experienced ones have guided the young and brought some balance.

"Ajax are now playing excellent football and lead the Dutch league from PSV Eindhoven on goal difference."

'A selling club, but in a better financial position'

"The reason Ajax haven't been in the Champions League semi-finals in recent years is because they cannot compete with the likes of the moneyed Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga teams.

"They are a selling club and the Netherlands is a selling country. It's not an end-station for players, it's a middle-station. It'll help you progress and it's somewhere that gives you a platform.

"Ajax understand their position but are now in a good financial situation which means if there are six high offers for players, they don't have to accept all six.

"If the central defender goes, Ajax have a back-up as a result of the forward thinking of bringing players in a few years ago.

"This year everything came together - the change of policy of bringing in older players helped them a lot and gave them the stability they need.

"But you can't argue with fact that Ajax is a school of education. It has been like this for many, many years and will continue to be for many, many years."

Can they win the Champions League this season?

"When you're in the last four and eliminate Real Madrid and Juventus en route - winning at their grounds - then that's not a coincidence any more. You have a right to dream.

"Liverpool are having an excellent year and Barcelona, as long as Lionel Messi is fit, will be favourite in every game they play.

"Now it's about the small details that can decide things. Ajax, for sure - the win in Italy will make them think they can beat anybody on their day."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47979324

This is more to do with the system Johan Cruyff installed at the club several years ago, bringing Ajax to the same model of the past to how it brought them success but with ex footballers running the club from top to bottom.   Ajax's recruiting and scouting over the past years has been extremely successful which has led to Ajax making huge profits on players, now they are not in a position to sell players cheap unless it is on their terms.

Edited by Panna King
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

c0uLd3nT d0 1t aGA1nSt BuRnL3Y tH0.

Funnily enough, my final days of consistently following the Premier League where when Tadic was in his early years in the PL, and I thought he was quite good, alongside Mane. Both those 2 had impressed me, so I was surprised when I heard he wasn't that good anymore.

4 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

Funnily enough, my final days of consistently following the Premier League where when Tadic was in his early years in the PL, and I thought he was quite good, alongside Mane. Both those 2 had impressed me, so I was surprised when I heard he wasn't that good anymore.

I think it was the system at Southampton, when Koeman was at Southampton they played some great football, when Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes were in charge they played a terrible defensive style which didn't suit Tadic at all.  Now he is at Ajax he is really about to showcase his attacking ability again, plus he has lived in the Netherlands for a number of years before Southampton, he actually said he prefers life in the Netherlands than England in an interview as that was his reason for going back to The Netherlands. 

Edited by Panna King

• Administrator

DUTCH BANTER

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48067752

As far as punishments are concerned, bans or fines are usually the norm for footballers.

They like to do things differently at Ajax, however.

Most people were at school when they were last told to write lines. But not Ajax's new signing Kjell Scherpen who, at the age of 19, was ordered to write "Ajax is the most beautiful club in the Netherlands" a mere 1,000 times.

He couldn't mess about, either. Ajax's chief executive Edwin Van der Sar and football director Marc Overmars were keeping a watchful eye over the young goalkeeper.

But why?

Scherpen's boyhood club is Feyenoord - Ajax's fierce rivals. When it was announced this month he would join the club in June from FC Emmen, Ajax fans weren't happy.

Upon scouring through his social media accounts, it was discovered that Scherpen had bad-mouthed Ajax in 2011, saying the club were "lucky".

Let's hope he has learned his lesson.

_106604533_ajaxscreenshot.jpg

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Ajax fans are still very unhappy over this transfer, I hope the boy can survive and manage to get the fans on his side otherwise his career won't last long at Ajax. 

Yeah, I know there's a big rivalry between the two and a player is gonna have his boyhood club and preferences but he's just a talented keeper at the end of the day. We all post stupid shit when we're younger! 

I think it's up to the fans to make him feel welcome, not that he should have to prove anything. The club clearly believe in him enough to sign him. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah, I know there's a big rivalry between the two and a player is gonna have his boyhood club and preferences but he's just a talented keeper at the end of the day. We all post stupid shit when we're younger! 

I think it's up to the fans to make him feel welcome, not that he should have to prove anything. The club clearly believe in him enough to sign him. 

The F Side of Ajax have already held banners up about the Transfer saying he is not welcome at the club.  so not sure how the future will be for him, its just going to be a rocky start and I hope he has the mental strength to get through it.  I am sure he will be accepted but will just take time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Zlatan has told Dutch press that he wants to work with Ajax when he retires from football.

'Normally I don't return to clubs where I have already played, but maybe after my career I can become a director at Ajax. Then I would do a better job than everyone else who is there now. " 
• Zlatan Ibrahimovic tells De Telegraaf that he often remembers his time in Amsterdam and does not want to rule out a return. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • The topic was unpinned