talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Eredivisie - Netherlands

football forum

Striker Robin van Persie will seal a move to his former club Feyenoord on Monday, 14 years after he departed.

The veteran striker is available on a free deal and will sign with the Rotterdam club in the coming days.

Van Persie, 34, will make his return to De Kuip, over a decade after he left to pursue his Premier League dream with Arsenal.

Tapia and Van Beek impeccable at the back. Credit to those full backs too. Kluivert is still creating danger but David Neres has been completely marked out of the match.

That first half was alright. Very defensive. I think Malacia has been the best player of the match so far. Completely taken David Neres out of the game and is looking good going forward as well. Tracking back in time and creating danger on his side of the pitch. Ajax has been non-existent up front. Kluivert started off decently but has now also been taken out of the game.

Feyenoord quickly concede 2 within the start of the second half and are now with 10 men. Jorgensen has been sent off. Safe to say this has not been the half they wanted.

Tapia off and I'm not afraid to admit that it was with reason. He was awful today and he's getting worse game by game. I'm so conflicted, I want him to play but I also don't want him at centre back.

On 26/01/2018 at 19:06, Blue said:

@VanPaddy 

How often do the weaker Dutch clubs sell to the likes of Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord? I'm watching Heerenveen vs Sparta right now and I'm curious in a few of these young players.

The big clubs always buy from the lower clubs, recently Ajax have used alot of their own youth. Psv and Feyenoord have bought players.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

He is decent, fast and skillful can play on the wing or attacking midfield. 

Cheers, looks like he's just about to sign for us. We were in need of a decent winger since Bartels picked up an injury, so at least he fits the profile, it seems!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@VanPaddy  I have been reading a book about dutch football and its called "Brilliant Orange".  There are quite few paragraphs in that explaining the dutch mentality and how the players are so arrogant about their football and also how the dutch dont really care about winning for the country, the author talks to some dutch football people and they said things like these. He cites all these and few more as the reasons for the dutch to not win any major tournaments despite being so close except the euro 98 while having some of the greatest players ever. I can type some more quotes from the book which explains the above if you would like to know more in depth but I wanted to ask as a dutch football follower (and a dutch national, I assume) if those traits seem correct and applicable to the players.   Do they really not play for the country and are they all arrogant, and by arrogant I mean they dont have any respect for the "smaller" opponents.  This book talks about the dutch football right from the 70s when they lost two world cup finals to all the way down to the early 2000s so its not just about the recent players. 

On 31/03/2018 at 21:41, Asura said:

@VanPaddy  I have been reading a book about dutch football and its called "Brilliant Orange".  There are quite few paragraphs in that explaining the dutch mentality and how the players are so arrogant about their football and also how the dutch dont really care about winning for the country, the author talks to some dutch football people and they said things like these. He cites all these and few more as the reasons for the dutch to not win any major tournaments despite being so close except the euro 98 while having some of the greatest players ever. I can type some more quotes from the book which explains the above if you would like to know more in depth but I wanted to ask as a dutch football follower (and a dutch national, I assume) if those traits seem correct and applicable to the players.   Do they really not play for the country and are they all arrogant, and by arrogant I mean they dont have any respect for the "smaller" opponents.  This book talks about the dutch football right from the 70s when they lost two world cup finals to all the way down to the early 2000s so its not just about the recent players. 

The not winning bit is a lot of rubbish, Cruyff has done so many interviews in recent years before he passed away, regarding the Ajax and Dutch national teams he played in,   That team in the late 60's and 70s of Ajax and Netherlands were very unique and only wanted to win with the right football, which comes with arrogance as they had achieved so much.  In the 2 finals of the 74 and 78, they were both unlucky as they were playing against the host nations but in 74 the moment of facing their enemies as Cruyff said that they all wanted to go out and humiliate the Germans but it never happened, Germany held on as the moment was too much as the players were to fired up which backfired for the Dutch.    Johan recently said that when he looked back on the 1974 team, they might not of won the World Cup but that team was the real winners as it become a huge part of footballing history which changed the game.           Netherlands itself have always had this arrogance in everything they do, going back a long way to the golden ages, its like they have this thing that their systems are the best so they stick with them, it is arrogant but its just part of the culture.  The new Dutch team is failing because they are not playing to a system with the players they have at the moment, also the mixed cultures in the team has caused some major problems.   

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

The not winning bit is a lot of rubbish, Cruyff has done so many interviews in recent years before he passed away, regarding the Ajax and Dutch national teams he played in,   That team in the late 60's and 70s of Ajax and Netherlands were very unique and only wanted to win with the right football, which comes with arrogance as they had achieved so much.  In the 2 finals of the 74 and 78, they were both unlucky as they were playing against the host nations but in 74 the moment of facing their enemies as Cruyff said that they all wanted to go out and humiliate the Germans but it never happened, Germany held on as the moment was too much as the players were to fired up which backfired for the Dutch.    Johan recently said that when he looked back on the 1974 team, they might not of won the World Cup but that team was the real winners as it become a huge part of footballing history which changed the game.           Netherlands itself have always had this arrogance in everything they do, going back a long way to the golden ages, its like they have this thing that their systems are the best so they stick with them, it is arrogant but its just part of the culture.  The new Dutch team is failing because they are not playing to a system with the players they have at the moment, also the mixed cultures in the team has caused some major problems.   

Johan Cruyff maintained to his final days that only playing the right way to win was worthy of praise.  He never negated on that and wouldn't give an ounce of credit to teams winning by shutting out their opponent.  In one interview he stated that had Holland won by playing negative football he wouldn't have given it an ounce of thought.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Johan Cruyff maintained to his final days that only playing the right way to win was worthy of praise.  He never negated on that and wouldn't give an ounce of credit to teams winning by shutting out their opponent.  In one interview he stated that had Holland won by playing negative football he wouldn't have given it an ounce of thought.

Thats right, The Dutch see football as a piece of Art which needs to be admired, its part of the culture here.  

The more you listen to old videos of Johan he was such an incredible person, its like he figured out how football really works and solved the puzzle, such a massive loss he is., even back in his playing days, he did come across very arrogant but this was the part of him as he was unique with what he did.   

Edited by VanPaddy

5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Cruyff's autobiography is one of the best books I've ever read. I don't think there was a single page that I disagreed with, he was such a unique fountain of knowledge.

Yea it should be read by everyone who loves football, as he has done more for football then anyone else,  he transformed the game. 

Edited by VanPaddy
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Yeah it was smething similar to what you wrote in the book about the dutch being arrogant about how they play rather than going to kill the games and win the trophies. But its true what you said, if anyone talks about 74 world cup most of them talk about the runners up dutch team rather than the champion german team, such was their impact. 

5 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Cruyff's autobiography is one of the best books I've ever read. I don't think there was a single page that I disagreed with, he was such a unique fountain of knowledge.

I read "My Turn" and loved it so much that I started searching for more books on Dutch football  and that is how I found out about this book called "Brilliant Orange", you should try reading that mate.

tumblr_inline_mmp35tRQQ41qz4rgp.jpg

• The topic was unpinned