talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Eredivisie - Netherlands

football forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ajax are set to name the relatively inexperienced Marcel Keizer as new coach following the departure of Peter Bosz after a single season, Dutch media reports said Tuesday.

"Ajax are going to name Marcel Keizer as new trainer, to follow Peter Bosz," both popular daily tabloids Algemeen Dagblad and De Telegraaf reported.

Keizer is currently head coach of Jong Ajax (Young Ajax), the powerful club's second team which shot to second place in this years' second tier Jupiler League behind VVV-Venlo.

https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetbal/marcel-keizer-is-de-nieuwe-trainer-van-ajax~a3f6595d/

• The topic was pinned
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Ajax's Abdelhak Nouri has collapsed on the pitch during a friendly against us just now... There's an ambulance on the pitch, looks like they've been reviving him for the last 10 minutes or so, everyone's shocked. Hopefully it's not as serious as it looks.

• Subscriber
Just now, Cannabis said:

I know of him through FIFA and Football Manager. He's an exciting attacking midfielder if the games are correct. 

Such a shame that he's collapsed and you just have to hope the paramedics can get him back together. After what has happened in the past this is worrying news. 

Hopefully it's just some sort of a heatstroke and not anything more serious :(

• Subscriber

So apparently he had heart arrhythmia, was resuscitated, then airlifted to the hospital in a helicopter :( Ajax tweeted he is in a stable condition and his heart beats on its own now though.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Fantastic news that his heart is beating unassisted as this could have been a much darker story. It does beg the question about checking these players often though, I don't want to jump onto the physio's back as I'm not an expert but could this not have been picked up beforehand? 

As much as I'm aware, those are usually underlying congenital/genetic heart conditions that are pretty hard to spot in otherwise healthy individuals, as it doesn't  usually show in regular screenings like ECG. It's like a ticking bomb, really. Calls for better screening are definitely justified, but I'm not sure that economic costs of it would be viable for many athletes/clubs/associations bar the highest level.

Related anecdotal example: my mum accidentally found out that she actually had a congenital heart valve defect in her mid-fifties only, after getting comprehensive screening due to unrelated issues. 

Edited by nudge

On 7/8/2017 at 6:31 PM, Cannabis said:

Fantastic news that his heart is beating unassisted as this could have been a much darker story. It does beg the question about checking these players often though, I don't want to jump onto the physio's back as I'm not an expert but could this not have been picked up beforehand? 

Ajax are quite hot on this now because another player a few years called Evander Sno had a heart attack playing for Ajax reserves.  Sometimes things just happen and are very hard to be picked up when it concerns the heart. 

• Subscriber

I read yesterday that there's no long-term damage for his heart, so that's good news already. His preliminary brain scan doesn't show any signs of damage either, but of course they can only confirm it once he's fully awake... It looks like this could end much much better than similar cases in the past, fingers crossed!

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

I read yesterday that there's no long-term damage for his heart, so that's good news already. His preliminary brain scan doesn't show any signs of damage either, but of course they can only confirm it once he's fully awake... It looks like this could end much much better than similar cases in the past, fingers crossed!

that's very good news if true and warming to hear. 

wonder how this incident will affect him in his career going forward now. Will surely get regularly monitored for the foreseeable future as the risk it will happen again has probably increased significantly. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

that's very good news if true and warming to hear. 

wonder how this incident will affect him in his career going forward now. Will surely get regularly monitored for the foreseeable future as the risk it will happen again has probably increased significantly. 

It really depends on what is the actual problem behind it, as heart arrhytmias is a bit of a vague term. Doctors usually advise against returning to professional sport in most cases, but there are a few pro athletes with pacemakers or implanted defibrillators. If it's hypertrophic cardiomyopathy though (which is the leading cause of cardiac arrests in young athletes), I doubt he'd be able to continue though.

• Subscriber

Horrible news, doctors have confirmed that Nouri has suffered severe permanent brain damage with no chance of recovery. So sad, condolences to him and his family, it's so fucking unfair.

His brother spoke on Dutch news. 

Elder brother Abderrahim said that doctors have informed the family that prospects of Nouri regaining any level of independent living are extremely slim.

"The doctors are quite confident that he will not recover. If he were to wake up, he would not be able to think, eat, talk, walk or even recognise people," he told AD. "He would not be able to function normally.

"But we are not giving up. God will decide his fate. Our religion [Islam] teaches us to accept things and we are praying for his recovery.

"We think this life is only temporary and the eternal comes after this one, but everybody would have liked to see him score goals first."

• Administrator

that's absolutely heart-breaking :(

Reading this bit:

If he were to wake up, he would not be able to think, eat, talk, walk or even recognise people,

got me welling up. to think of what kind of career he might have had ahead of him as well :( 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

that's absolutely heart-breaking :(

Reading this bit:

got me welling up. to think of what kind of career he might have had ahead of him as well :( 

Yea its so traggic everyone was so looking forward to see him in the first team this year. Now this happens out of the blue, he even had a full medical test last week.  It looks like he will die or it will through euthanasia which is legal in Holland. His family wouldnt want to have him live like that.  I hope he does wake up and has made any sort of recovery. 

#StayStrongAppie

Edited by VanPanna

• The topic was unpinned