talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Eredivisie - Netherlands

football forum

Tim Fosu-Mensah admits this week has been an emotional time in his life following the news that his former AFC Ajax team-mate Abdelhak Nouri has suffered brain damage.

The 20-year-old sustained heart rhythm problems during the game against Werder Bremen last Saturday, and his chances of recovery from the damage have tragically been reported as nil. Since then, the football world has rallied around, Blind and Fosu-Mensah are both former Ajax players who knew Nouri personally, yet Tim were particularly close to the player after rising through the Amsterdam club’s famed academy together. MUTV spoke to Fosu-Mensah before Friday morning’s training session at UCLA…

Firstly Tim, it must have been a tough couple of days for you with the news from Ajax?
Yeah definitely. I played with him since the age of eight so it is very sad, and a very difficult time for me as well with what has happened to him.

With that in mind, has it been hard to keep training this week?
As the saying goes, 'life goes on' but every time when I wake up it is the first thing that I am thinking about. It hurts me a lot, I speak to my old team-mates at Ajax and we try to be strong together.

How have you found the week at UCLA?
To be fair, very well. I enjoy every session and I enjoy every day being here. It is difficult, what happened, but when I play football I try to think about nothing but football. After is after. When I am back I will try to have contact with a couple of mates but when I am on the pitch, all of my focus is on the pitch.

Are the new signings settling in well?
I think they are settling in very well because this group... we have is a wonderful group. Everyone is so kind so they feel at home straightaway. There is definitely a great team spirit. It is very nice to know the players are very good, if you need help then they help you, so the new signings are settling in very well.

Is this summer a good opportunity for you to impress the manager and stake your claim?
Yeah, I train hard, I do my best and every opportunity I get I try to grab it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Nouri breathing unaided 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40720230

Ajax midfielder Abdelhak Nouri has come out of intensive care nearly three weeks after he collapsed during a pre-season friendly, leaving him with "serious and permanent brain damage".

Nouri is no longer in an induced coma and is breathing unaided, his club said in a statement on behalf of his family.

It added the 20-year-old's overall situation was unchanged - stable, but with severe and lasting brain damage.

Nouri had "cardiac arrhythmias" during the game with Werder Bremen on 8 July.

An earlier club statement said there was no prospect of Nouri recovering from the brain damage, which was "probably" caused by a lack of oxygen supply.

• 2 months later...

Ajax last updated his condition on the 28th of July, but they released a statement on Monday because of the amount of requests they have been receiving from fans wanting to know the latest. Sadly Nouri’s condition hasn’t changed much over the last few months.

Nouri is still in an Amsterdam hospital, but his situation is stable, with independent heartbeat and breathing. His family are keeping faith and are urging people to continue their prayers for the 20-year-old.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

He scored a hat trick over the weekend. Is he going to be real deal or the second coming of Roland Bergkamp?

Roland Bergkamp was never good even from the start, he was just bought because of his name that is it.   Justin is an excellent footballer, very different to his dad, Id say Justin is more developed more at this stage also.  Patrick played in a world class team, him scoring that goal in the final of the Champions League made him a star,  Justin is all about flair, skill and now he has proved he can score some great goals Patrick was a tall skilful striker, with superb heading ability as well.   Hope he can build on it and stay with Ajax for another 3 more years or so, he is only 18.

Edited by VanPaddy
  • Upvote 1

Just now, VanPaddy said:

Yes I think he will become as big as a name in Holland as did Farfan. 

The thing that I'm liking a lot is that he's being played out of his natural position. He's normally a central midfielder but he's playing as a CB and its working really well as I've heard. I'm really excited to be honest. I didn't realize it until recently but by 2022, Peru could be a genuine world class team. Some of the players we have right now have much more of a potential than I once feared they wouldn't have.

I hope he can mantain this playing time and be as big as Davinson Sanchez was and of course as native Jefferson Farfan.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

The thing that I'm liking a lot is that he's being played out of his natural position. He's normally a central midfielder but he's playing as a CB and its working really well as I've heard. I'm really excited to be honest. I didn't realize it until recently but by 2022, Peru could be a genuine world class team. Some of the players we have right now have much more of a potential than I once feared they wouldn't have.

I hope he can mantain this playing time and be as big as Davinson Sanchez was and of course as native Jefferson Farfan.

Feyenoord have used midfielders in defence before with Van Heijden, its something Johan Cruijff started ages ago in Holland and at Barca, you do not always need defenders in defence if you keep the ball. 

Edited by VanPaddy

5 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Feyenoord have used midfielders in defence before with Van Heijden, its something Johan Cruijff started ages ago in Holland and at Barca, you do not always need defenders in defence if you keep the ball. 

Peru's possible future XI of the ones on the team now and what I think of their potentials

Gallese (Great)

Advincula (Great) - Araujo (Great) - Tapia (world class) - Trauco (world class)

Yotun (Great) - Aquino (world class)

Carrillo (Good) - Cueva (Great) - Flores (Great or World Class)

Ruidiaz (Good)

There are a lot of great young players coming through @VanPaddy if you ever hear a rumour about a dutch team going in for one, give me a shout. Hopefully we see more develop like Farfan and Tapia and not Manco or Da Silva.

• Administrator

Considering world class is players like Hazard, Neymar, Mbappe, Dybala, Aguero, de Bruyne, Icardi etc those Peru players have to do some serious good shit in the next few years to get near the levels of those players. Just because they may be the best Peruvians, doesn't make them some of the best in the world, now or in 2022.

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Considering world class is players like Hazard, Neymar, Mbappe, Dybala, Aguero, de Bruyne, Icardi etc those Peru players have to do some serious good shit in the next few years to get near the levels of those players. Just because they may be the best Peruvians, doesn't make them some of the best in the world, now or in 2022.

I understand that completely, but we have a top generation coming up. How many people said that about Chile? Not many I'd bet.

For me, only Tapia, Aquino and Trauco have the potential to be world class. Flores I'm unsure on.

• Administrator

Why do you always mention Chile? They don't always have to come in to conversation! They're not your barometer. 

What clubs do Tapia, Aquino and Trauco play for now? In order to become world class you have to be at one of the best clubs in the world. Is that seriously going to happen to them within 4 or 4 and a half years? 

Just now, Stan said:

Why do you always mention Chile? They don't always have to come in to conversation! They're not your barometer. 

What clubs do Tapia, Aquino and Trauco play for now? In order to become world class you have to be at one of the best clubs in the world. Is that seriously going to happen to them within 4 or 4 and a half years? 

Fine, Colombia then! Same situation. They have a few world class players, I think the best example is James who proved he was world class overnight (2014 WC)

Tapia plays for Feyenoord and moved to FC Twente at 16 or 17 years old after winning the youth league with EGB. He's sat on the bench for most of his Feyenoord career but I've heard he's been massive since coming in from dutchmen. He's also been great recently for the national team. While this last bit may not mean much to being "world class" one thing that helps him is that he knows fluent english which could help his adaptability. Well aware that doesn't impact his footballing ability overall though.

Pedro Aquino was the best player in the Peruvian league earlier this year, moved to Monterrey and went on loan to Lobos and immediately became one of, if not the best ball winning midfielder in Mexico. So much to the point Monterrey are thinking about recalling him next month. He almost has it too easy in the Liga MX.

Trauco plays for Flamengo. Sure they aren't a world power but they are still one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he impresses at the World Cup, I'm certain he'll move to Europe.

Flores as I said, I'm unsure on. He's great for the NT but plays for a terrible side in Denmark.

12 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I wouldn't mind but lighting up the Lobos team is hardly an achievement. 

Disagree completely.

If it were a team in a worse league (Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay) I'd understand but being arguably the best CM in the Liga MX, even more for one of the poorer teams just makes it more impressive. Its not like he plays for Plymouth Argyle.

I wasn't calling him a future world class potential at Cristal because the division was too low of a standard. Now that he's stepped up, I am.

A good example is Dybala. Sure its true that Serie A is much better than the Liga MX, but he lit up a Palermo team to get a step up to a bigger club. Doesn't exactly seem earth shattering but now he's a world class player.

Edited by Guest

Guys I just wanted to leave the statement that I'm not being biased here. I just have faith in those 3 players. It could have been a lot worse said. There are certain players I trust and others I don't. Simply being Peruvian doesn't make them not have potential.

Its an absurd statement anyways. Most of them in the last 20 years have had world class potential but didn't reach it. I think Farfan is the best example. He was excellent, but if he took care of himself he could have been a lot better. 

10 hours ago, Stan said:

Debateable at late. 

Yeah, Mbappé showed a really high level last season but he's only shown it this year. I think we should wait a while before defining him as world class.

Again, I can see Peru going down Chile's route. I don't think we'll win a Copa America, but in 4-5 years we'll have more a chance of it then we do now. Have 2-3 world class players and everyone else being good or great. My Chile example wasn't due to my vendetta. It was more due to how comparable they are.

Chile's 3 world class players were Bravo, Vidal and Sanchez. I think ours in 4 years will be Tapia, Aquino and Trauco. I certainly hope there will be more but I've got to maintain realism for now. 

@Stan that was a bit where I was going with this. They are still developing and all 3 in stepping stone leagues for European clubs, its fair to asses them as that potential. I have faith in them.

• The topic was unpinned