talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ipswich Town Appoint Paul Hurst

Ipswich have been given permission to speak to manager Paul Hurst after agreeing a compensation package with Shrewsbury.

Personal terms are still to be agreed with the 43-year-old, whose side were losing play-off finalists at Wembley on Sunday, beaten 2-1 by Rotherham after extra-time.

Hurst, who took over in 2016 after promoting Grimsby back into the Football League, admitted after their defeat that he was aware of interest from other clubs.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now been appointed Manager. 

I feel for Shrewsbury but this is a good move for him and a good appointment for Ipswich Town. A year of consolidation and then gradually push on would be the realistic ambition given the financial restraints and prospects coming through.

It's an interesting selection but one that makes sense. The guy has been progressing well, he's got Shrewsbury to Wembley twice in the same season on a limited budget and had them competing for automatic with the two powerhouses in the league in Wigan and Blackburn up to a couple games from the end.

I think their strategy will be to pinpoint talent from the lower divisions and see if they can nab them in on the cheap. He will have very good experience and knowledge of players in League's One and Two and may well be able to get in a few up and coming gems.

It's a big summer for Ipswich. I don't think a lot will necessarily be expected of them promotion wise but the fans will want to see steps in the right direction in terms of league positions and style of play. That is a very disgruntled fan base currently that need winning over.

I’d have swerved this if I were Hurst after the way it ended between Mick McCarthy and the fans.

It leads me to believe that, from the outside looking in, the fans have slightly unrealistic expectations for the side and they’re a fractured set of supporters. They’ll need to be won over and won over quickly and looking at the squad at Ipswich and the way they’ve acted in the transfer market under McCarthy over the past few years, which I wouldn’t expect to change under Hurst, it could be a bad move in six months time. 

That said, Paul Hurst’s stock is at its highest, Shrewsbury are going to lose Dean Henderson (Man Utd) and Carlton Morris (Norwich) to their parent clubs and I’ve seen Omar Beckles has been linked with Wigan, I imagine Hurst knew this would happen if they didn’t get promoted so it’s potentially the best time to leave them. 

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’d have swerved this if I were Hurst after the way it ended between Mick McCarthy and the fans.

It leads me to believe that, from the outside looking in, the fans have slightly unrealistic expectations for the side and they’re a fractured set of supporters. They’ll need to be won over and won over quickly and looking at the squad at Ipswich and the way they’ve acted in the transfer market under McCarthy over the past few years, which I wouldn’t expect to change under Hurst, it could be a bad move in six months time. 

That said, Paul Hurst’s stock is at its highest, Shrewsbury are going to lose Dean Henderson (Man Utd) and Carlton Morris (Norwich) to their parent clubs and I’ve seen Omar Beckles has been linked with Wigan, I imagine Hurst knew this would happen if they didn’t get promoted so it’s potentially the best time to leave them. 

Ben Godfrey is on loan from us also.

I'm disappointed as I think it could be a good appointment. I haven't seen much of Shrewsbury playing this season, but a local journo says that he is cut from the same cloth as McCarthy as in he gets results, but plays awful football and has a habit of picking fights with supporters when things aren't going well or if supporters aren't turning up.

Hopefully it starts badly and they get on his back early doors. Tough job at ipswich, no money to spend but I also agree he probably peaked with Shrewsbury and next season was more than likely going to be downhill.

I wish him all the worst.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived