talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank Lampard Appointed Derby County Manager

A rumour that has gradually be gathering pace over the last week to the point where it looks like it's about to happen. 

A very bizarre move on both parties I feel. Its his first job and hes walking in to an inferno there. That said, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and I wish him all the best.

• The title was changed to Frank Lampard Hired as Derby County Manager
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

A rumour that has gradually be gathering pace over the last week to the point where it looks like it's about to happen. 

A very bizarre move on both parties I feel. Its his first job and hes walking in to an inferno there. That said, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and I wish him all the best.

Is this confirmed now??? 

I know he was down on the list but never expected him to actually get the job... If he has/does get it that will put him in a bit of a quandary.. He is supposed to be one of the World Cup Pundits lined up to go with the BBC over the summer and you would expect being new to the job he might want to put all his focus into that instead.. 

If he has got it then good luck to him, I can see it being difficult for him though, Likable though he is I just don't see him having that toughness that he may need if things get a bit rough, hopefully he can prove me wrong 

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Is this confirmed now??? 

I know he was down on the list but never expected him to actually get the job... If he has/does get it that will put him in a a bit of a quandary.. He is supposed to be one of the World Cup Pundits lined up to go with the BBC over the summer and you would expect being new to the job he might want to put all his focus into that instead.. 

If he has got it then good luck to him, I can see it being difficult for him though, Likable though he is I just don't see him having that toughness that he may need if things get a bit rough, hopefully he can prove me wrong 

It's looking very likely at the minute if Sky are believed.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's looking very likely at the minute if Sky are believed.

We should start up a Lampard vs Gerrard manager thread if he gets it so we can debate about how well they both do compared to each other.. xD

Be a baptism of fire for him taking on that job.

He'll need to readdress the squad for starters. Derby have a lot of players who are 30 or older, and I think Frank would like to bring those ages down with a more youthful looking squad. They also seem to have too many similar like for like midfielders, 'solid steady eddies' rather than those who can turn a game and unlock defences, much like Will Hughes and Tom Ince so often did for them in the past.

Mel Morris said before the summer that Derby would have to cut their cloth accordingly so immediately Lampard would be aware that finances would be low. He'll have to move players out to bring new one's in if he wants to generate more cash for transfers.

He's also got to decide if he wants to use the players that were not in Gary Rowett's plans last season. Butterfield was farmed out to Sheff Wed, Craig Bryson was at Cardiff where he helped them get promoted, Chris Martin was packed off to Reading for the second half of the campaign having been barely used before that.

And then the biggest thing probably for Lampard will be deciding what system he wants them to play. Does he go for something the players are already more accustomed to, or does he go for his own style and adapt the players around that? 

On the plus side, there will be players that would want to come and play for Lampard. He's a household name here and in Europe, players will know him and respect him.

And Derby have been competing at the right end of the table for a number of years now. It's not like they are miles away, but they always come up short in some way, be it automatic or playoffs wise. Maybe bringing in an ex player who has a winning mentality after many success' at Chelsea will rub off on them.

I have to say, I think he's very brave going for it. Many would duck it as their first job for an easier ride.

• Subscriber

I hope and believe that Lampard will make a very good manager. I just hope that this next generation of young English managers with real pedigree as professionals get the time and patience from their employers to develop as coaches (yes, even Gerrard). I feel that Gary Neville while he was an idiot for taking on a job in Spain has been written off as a potential manager far too soon.

5 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Is this confirmed now??? 

I know he was down on the list but never expected him to actually get the job... If he has/does get it that will put him in a bit of a quandary.. He is supposed to be one of the World Cup Pundits lined up to go with the BBC over the summer and you would expect being new to the job he might want to put all his focus into that instead.. 

I don' think that will be a problem. I could see him handing out the bollockings when needed but also being good with youth. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don' think that will be a problem. I could see him handing out the bollockings when needed but also being good with youth. 

I hope it won't be.. As in Rando's post lets hope they give them some time... When you are new to Management/Coaching you don't learn all there is to learn after one season... 

On 29/05/2018 at 19:49, Kitchen Sales said:

Good luck to him.

Are Derby that desperate for publicity? I can't think of any other reason why a club like that would do this.

Who will take Michael Owen?

The job centre

On 5/29/2018 at 15:02, Lucas said:

Be a baptism of fire for him taking on that job.

He'll need to readdress the squad for starters. Derby have a lot of players who are 30 or older, and I think Frank would like to bring those ages down with a more youthful looking squad. They also seem to have too many similar like for like midfielders, 'solid steady eddies' rather than those who can turn a game and unlock defences, much like Will Hughes and Tom Ince so often did for them in the past.

Mel Morris said before the summer that Derby would have to cut their cloth accordingly so immediately Lampard would be aware that finances would be low. He'll have to move players out to bring new one's in if he wants to generate more cash for transfers.

He's also got to decide if he wants to use the players that were not in Gary Rowett's plans last season. Butterfield was farmed out to Sheff Wed, Craig Bryson was at Cardiff where he helped them get promoted, Chris Martin was packed off to Reading for the second half of the campaign having been barely used before that.

And then the biggest thing probably for Lampard will be deciding what system he wants them to play. Does he go for something the players are already more accustomed to, or does he go for his own style and adapt the players around that? 

On the plus side, there will be players that would want to come and play for Lampard. He's a household name here and in Europe, players will know him and respect him.

And Derby have been competing at the right end of the table for a number of years now. It's not like they are miles away, but they always come up short in some way, be it automatic or playoffs wise. Maybe bringing in an ex player who has a winning mentality after many success' at Chelsea will rub off on them.

I have to say, I think he's very brave going for it. Many would duck it as their first job for an easier ride.

It's not unrealistic to think that he could possibly use his contacts and association with Chelsea to bring in 1 or 2 of our youth players to help plug some of the gaps with any departing older players as long as the club were willing to play ball.. 

Awful decision from both the club and Lampard, for me. 

For a club who have seemed hellbent on securing promotion over the past 5-6 seasons, it’s a big risk giving the job to someone with no managerial experience and from what I gather, not much experience as a coach either at any level. I get they may be “cost-cutting” as someone here suggested but this doesn’t seem like a wise appointment in that regard. Will Lampard come cheap? I’m not so sure. Also, what does he know about working to a budget? I’m not saying he should have got the job but there’s people out there like Paul Hurst, who’s worked at Shrewsbury under tight budgets who knows about the lower leagues and non-league football and the players at that level who presumably, Derby would be targeting as a result of cost-cutting. 

Also, from Lampard’s point of view, he’s taken a job at a club with a reputation for sacking managers and where they demand success. History suggests that he won’t be afforded the time a brand new manager requires. Derby have had seven managers in the last five years, that’s not exactly a sign that they’re patient there. 

I had to turn Talksport off earlier because of some of the shit being spouted around this. A lot of presumptions that this is a fantastic appointment that will lead to promotion based on the square foot of fuck all, with no consideration being given to the age of the squad or why Gary Rowett left a club he had a close affiliation too.

The biggest pro that had any form of legitimacy was that Tammy Abraham may join on loan. Yet anybody who has watched Derby County last season would know that goals are really not an issue.

I'm surprised people are still peddling this story. The latest justification I've heard as to why he will be a success is that he would have learned for Jose Mourinho. Well, that approach worked out for Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, Gary Neville and the rest with Fergus didn't it?

41 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The last I remember of Jody Morris when he was facing rape charges, guess he's turned things round since then.

It was definitely the highlight of his career.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The last I remember of Jody Morris when he was facing rape charges, guess he's turned things round since then.

This is possibly his sentence.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I was about to say he looks like the sort of man to seal your girl, then read this

Archived