talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Shots Fired Outside House of Commons (UK Parliament Building)

football forum

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a good record here in Britain of snuffing out any potential terrorist attempt.  This is a first in a long time and even though it hasn't turned into a massacre (all lives are precious), it's still a massive hit on our security authorities.  Right in the gut of our democratic system!  Right in the centre and even though it wasn't finalised, it caused enough havoc and unfortunately victims dead and injured.

What happened for them to get this particular one so wrong (from the security perspective).

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

We have a good record here in Britain of snuffing out any potential terrorist attempt.  This is a first in a long time and even though it hasn't turned into a massacre (all lives are precious), it's still a massive hit on our security authorities.  Right in the gut of our democratic system!  Right in the centre and even though it wasn't finalised, it caused enough havoc and unfortunately victims dead and injured.

What happened for them to get this particular one so wrong (from the security perspective).

Let's be honest, I could do that very same attack tomorrow because there are absolutely no warning signs, no indicators that it is going to happen.

How can you possibly account for one attacker doing the following, in a couple of minutes:

• Crushing people walking on the pavement, causing panic and confusion and a diversion of police attention
  • Crashing into the perimeter fence of Westminster, causing more confusion
  • Running into Westminster with the two other events going on
  • Stabbing a police officer, before being shot and dropped by police only a few feet away from the downed policeman

The important and quite remarkable thing here is that very final point. 5, 6 minutes after the initial attack on pedestrians, the man is shot down by armed response. That is pretty un-fucking-touchable, in my book - it took me longer to respond to your post.

11 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

Let's be honest, I could do that very same attack tomorrow because there are absolutely no warning signs, no indicators that it is going to happen.

How can you possibly account for one attacker doing the following, in a couple of minutes:

• Crushing people walking on the pavement, causing panic and confusion and a diversion of police attention
  • Crashing into the perimeter fence of Westminster, causing more confusion
  • Running into Westminster with the two other events going on
  • Stabbing a police officer, before being shot and dropped by police only a few feet away from the downed policeman

The important and quite remarkable thing here is that very final point. 5, 6 minutes after the initial attack on pedestrians, the man is shot down by armed response. That is pretty un-fucking-touchable, in my book - it took me longer to respond to your post.

They've (the authorities) been quick enough to laud themselves in the past with other tragic terrorist attacks elsewhere by measuring themselves and releasing statistics on foiled attempts on our shores.  They're on top of these things more than we know and I'm sure we've all heard the "conspiracies" within the relatively light tapping in of our social networks and accounts for "key words".... etc... etc... (no need to go in too far on that one)

Without a doubt a renegade acting on his own (like the nutcase that killed a politician before the Brexit referendum) is difficult to stop if he or she has gone about it all by themselves without having ever been a connected suspect in any which shape or form (and you know what I mean by that because in the case of Islmamism I am aware that they have all names of any attendant to any mosque in the country).  You can't provide security or enough substantial security for that type of act.  Even so, even in an extremely rare case such as that (which I don't believe in this case) you would expect the security around our houses of Parliament to be the best there are and not to have a ridiculous situation as the one that occurred today.  It happened fast but it was erratic and it went pretty far except for the vehicle  running into members of the public.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

They've (the authorities) been quick enough to laud themselves in the past with other tragic terrorist attacks elsewhere by releasing statistics on foiled attempts on our shores.  They're on top of these things more than we know and I'm sure we've all heard the "conspiracies" within the relatively light tapping in of our social networks and accounts for "key words".... etc... etc... (no need to go in too far on that one)

Without a doubt a renegade acting on his own (like the nutcase that killed a politician before the Brexit referendum) is difficult to stop if he or she has gone about it all by themselves without having ever been a connected suspect in any which shape or form (and you know what I mean by that because in the case of Islmamism I am aware that they have all names of any attendant to any mosque in the country).  You can't provide security or enough substantial security for that type of act.  Even so, even in an extremely rare case such as that (which I don't believe in this case) you would expect the security around our houses of Parliament to be the best there are and not to have a ridiculous situation as the one that occurred today.  It happened fast but it was erratic and it went pretty far except for the vehicle  running into members of the public.

Sure, this guy was probably known to the relevant authorities.

It sounds like you're thinking that the police would be able to proactively stop these types of attacks by finding these known suspects and taking them off the streets. Great -however, the joy and wonder of living in a free western democracy (vile, cheap phrase but it's late and I couldn't be arsed being more particular) means that people have the right to have extreme views without being locked up on that basis alone. 

As soon as you start imprisoning people before they've actually done anything wrong, you're in Minsk or Pyongyang.

1 minute ago, StefBWFC said:

Sure, this guy was probably known to the relevant authorities.

It sounds like you're thinking that the police would be able to proactively stop these types of attacks by finding these known suspects and taking them off the streets. Great -however, the joy and wonder of living in a free western democracy (vile, cheap phrase but it's late and I couldn't be arsed being more particular) means that people have the right to have extreme views without being locked up on that basis alone. 

As soon as you start imprisoning people before they've actually done anything wrong, you're in Minsk or Pyongyang.

No mate, I don't expect people to be locked up for extremist views (I wish they were).  I expect for their every whereabouts and daily movements to be mapped and logged by the authorities.  I actually think our authorities do this on a daily basis to the last detail which is why we've been relatively "unhurt" by all that's gone in in recent years in most countries.  Like I said, our authorities release stats to the press when it makes them look good compared to others and like in any walk of life where you grace yourself in an abundance of just praise, you must know that you submit yourself to criticism if ever it goes wrong.

In saying this, I understand and appreciate that this isn't the moment to criticise and just think about those affected by this heinous and cowardly attack because that's what it is.  There's no bravery in what this/these people done today like there's no bravery whatsoever in a suicide bomber who apart from taking other lives with him/her they also take their own.  That's too easy like suicide in our society is invariably seen upon as being....  Cowardly!  Only in this case apart from being a coward, you're also a cold blooded murderer. I couldn't give a crap how just they think they are because two wrongs don't make a right (don't care if it's a used cliché...  It's correct!).

Listening to and reading what occurred today looks like the whole thing was fumbled until the shots were fired.

Don't know who the perpetrator is or what they even thought that they were going to achieve but I would've rather seen them suffer in jail rather than basically get away with it by dying. Of course can't blame anyone for how it was handled, stopping this psycho was the prime objective.

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

No mate, I don't expect people to be locked up for extremist views (I wish they were).  I expect for their every whereabouts and daily movements to be mapped and logged by the authorities.  I actually think our authorities do this on a daily basis to the last detail which is why we've been relatively "unhurt" by all that's gone in in recent years in most countries.  Like I said, our authorities release stats to the press when it makes them look good compared to others and like in any walk of life where you grace yourself in an abundance of just praise, you must know that you submit yourself to criticism if ever it goes wrong.

In saying this, I understand and appreciate that this isn't the moment to criticise and just think about those affected by this heinous and cowardly attack because that's what it is.  There's no bravery in what this/these people done today like there's no bravery whatsoever in a suicide bomber who apart from taking other lives with him/her they also take their own.  That's too easy like suicide in our society is invariably seen upon as being....  Cowardly!  Only in this case apart from being a coward, you're also a cold blooded murderer. I couldn't give a crap how just they think they are because two wrongs don't make a right (don't care if it's a used cliché...  It's correct!).

Listening to and reading what occurred today looks like the whole thing was fumbled until the shots were fired.

You can't track all the time we don't have the resources, there's thousands on the watch list. You can't tail or track 24/7 it's impossible. If we had maybe 50 yeah but thousands we've got no chance. Attacks will increase in line with their population share as will the problem. 

I think it's wrong to criticise the authorities to much at this stage. In my opinion they acted quickly and shit it down quickly, as Stef said above you can't guard against a lone attacker like that. The only way we can do is maybe get real about the situation and start going inside the mosques and schools and pulling these hate preachers out. We need to start breaking up Islamic communities and spreading them thin forcing them to intergrate with the British way of life. We need to socially engineer the ideology out of them otherwise it's just going to happen again and again

_95278144_map_update.png

Seven held after Westminster attack

Acting Deputy Commissioner and Head of Counter Terrorism Mark Rowley said hundreds of detectives have worked through the night, carrying out searches at six addresses.

Those who died were a woman in her 40s, a man in his 50s, PC Keith Palmer and the attacker, he said.

Seven of the injured are still in hospital in a critical condition.

A further 29 had been treated in hospital, Mr Rowley added.

In the attack on Wednesday, a man drove a car along a pavement in Westminster knocking down pedestrians, leaving dozens injured.

He then stabbed a policeman and was shot dead by police in the grounds of Parliament.

In a statement made outside Scotland Yard, Mr Rowley said: "The inquiries in Birmingham, London and other parts of the country are continuing. 

"It is still our belief - which continues to be borne out by our investigation - that this attacker acted alone and was inspired by international terrorism. 

"To be explicit, at this stage we have no specific information about further threats to the public."

It is was initially thought that three members of the public had been killed on Westminster Bridge, but Mr Rowley referred to just two in his statement.

Seven held after Westminster attack

_95280775_hi038635288.jpg

Police raid Birmingham flat in wake of Westminster attack

Armed police launched a late-night raid on an address in Birmingham, witnesses have said.

Police stormed a second-floor flat above a row of shops on Hagley Road at about 23:00 GMT on Wednesday.

A witness told the Press Association: "They came and arrested three men."

West Midlands Police referred inquiries about the operation to Scotland Yard, and the BBC understands the raid is linked to Wednesday afternoon's terror attack in Westminster.

However, "for operational reasons" police refused to confirm a link.

_95280772_hi038635282.jpg

Five people died and at least 40 were injured when an attacker drove a car along a pavement in Westminster, stabbed a policeman and was shot dead by police in the grounds of Parliament.

BBC Newsnight reported the car used in the attack in Westminster was hired from a company in the Birmingham area. However, this has not been confirmed.

Following the armed raid in Birmingham, non-uniformed police officers spotted taking pieces of equipment into the property.

_95280808_hi038635286.jpg

Armed raid on Birmingham flat

Agree with @Fairy In Boots. Attacks will keep on happening until people integrate into the local culture. And yes, its virtually impossible to monitor thousands of people. 

There will also be a lot of people saying that these are few, random incidents, and completely ignore the many possible attacks that would have been successfully foiled by the security agencies.

• Administrator

in addition to the discussion above, i saw a professor of counter-terrorism (can't remember his exact title so don't quote me on it) but he mentioned that since there are about 4 or 5 serious terrorist plots which our national security staff prevent from happening and since about 2001 there have been 70 stopped in total. And went on to mention that there's been 3 in that time that have gone on to happen and not be stopped. 3 attacks out of 70, whilst terrible that those 3 did actually happen and terrible that lives were lost, that's a bloody good rate at stopping terrorist attacks. He mentioned that it was simply law of averages that something was bound to happen and as @StefBWFC mentioned, it is invariably difficult, nigh on impossible, to be able to stop the practicalities of what happened yesterday afternoon. 

_95278908_trumpjr_976getty.jpg

Donald Trump Jr criticises London mayor after terror attack

President Donald Trump's son has criticised London's mayor, shortly after a terror attack on the UK capital that killed four people.

Donald Trump Jr tweeted an article written last year, in which Sadiq Khan said terror vigilance had become "part and parcel" of life in a global city.

"You have to be kidding me?!" said Mr Trump, immediately sparking accusations that he was exploiting the tragedy and misrepresenting the mayor's point.

Dozens were hurt in the London attack.

The assailant drove a car through pedestrians on Westminster Bridge and then fatally knifed a police officer who tried to stop him entering the Houses of Parliament. He was then shot dead.

Two hours later, Mr Trump tweeted an article from the Independent newspaper in September 2016.

The tweet added: "Terror attacks are part of living in a big city, says London Mayor Sadiq Khan."

_95278905_trump_tweet_624.jpg

In it, Mr Khan was speaking shortly before a meeting with New York Mayor Bill De Blasio, on the day after three bombs exploded in New York City and nearby towns, wounding 29 people.

The attacks had given him a sleepless night, he said, as he pondered the dangers faced by big Western cities like New York and London.

"Part and parcel of living in a great global city is you have to be prepared for these sorts of things, you have to be vigilant, you have to support the police doing an incredibly hard job, you have to support the security services," he said.

On Wednesday, after the attack in Westminster, the mayor said that Londoners "will never be cowed by terrorism" and that the city stood together in the face of those seeking it harm.

Mr Trump's tweet incensed many British people on Twitter, including MP Wes Streeting, who called him a "disgrace" for exploiting the tragedy.

_95278906_streeting_624.gif

Others accused him of implying that Mr Khan's comments were made after the attack.

_95278907_donn_624.gif

Mr Khan, London's first Muslim mayor, has previously clashed with Mr Trump's father, in January denouncing the US president's travel ban as "shameful and cruel".

Last year, he accused the then-candidate Trump of being "ignorant" about Islam.

Mr Trump responded by challenging the mayor to an IQ test.

The president's eldest son, who now manages his father's business and has no White House role, has been accused of insensitivity before.

During the election campaign, he sparked a swift backlash when he compared Syrian refugees to poisoned Skittles, to justify not allowing any into the US.

He has made no statements about his Khan tweet, telling the New York Times that he is not prepared to comment on every tweet.

Trump Jr berates Khan after London attack

football forum
1 hour ago, Romesh said:

Khan said it's 'the threat' of terror attacks are part and parcel of living in a big city etc. so he's been misquoted anyway. 

Either way Khan's a total bellend.

• Administrator

Apparently the attacker yesterday was born and bred in Britain. Hopefully we can find out who his links were and target them. Few men were arrested in a raid in Birmingham this morning linked to the attacks. 

football forum
Just now, ATL said:

Ah, I hate Trump and just about everything he stands for.

Some of his theories are actually quite good and he's a breath of fresh air from the typical politician that has been elected over and over throughout the years.

That said, some of his messages are amateur to say the least, if he was more calm and collected with his words he'd get more support.

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Some of his theories are actually quite good and he's a breath of fresh air from the typical politician that has been elected over and over throughout the years.

That said, some of his messages are amateur to say the least, if he was more calm and collected with his words he'd get more support.

For years he has been saying racist, sexist, and absolutely ridiculous comments. So what does America do? Elect the S.O.B.

I absolutely understand the idea of going with someone with more of a business acumen than a political one, but in a country with so many successful corporations, why did we chose this bellend.

3 minutes ago, ATL said:

For years he has been saying racist, sexist, and absolutely ridiculous comments. So what does America do? Elect the S.O.B.

I absolutely understand the idea of going with someone with more of a business acumen than a political one, but in a country with so many successful corporations, why did we chose this bellend.

Middle America mate!

Apart from that he wasn't actually the most voted individual from the two by the Americans as you well know.  It's your collegiate system that's strange.

Archived