• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Greatest Peruvian Player Since 1982

Best Peruvian Player  

9 members have voted

  1. 1. Who?

    • Nolberto Solano
    • Jefferson Farfan
    • Paolo Guerrero
      0
    • Claudio Pizarro
    • Juan Reynoso
      0
    • Jose Del Solar
      0
    • Juan Manuel Vargas
      0
    • Alberto Rodriguez


Recommended Posts

football forum

For me to celebrate our first World Cup this century, I'll leave a poll on what you all think is the best Peruvian since the last time we qualified. Just as a bit of a survey. I'll leave a bio of each.

Nolberto Solano

Probably the most recognized Peruvian in the UK due to his many spells at clubs such as Aston Villa, West Ham and most notably, Newcastle United. Also had some smaller stints at Hartlepool and Leicester City near the end of his career. He was a wingback or a winger, and had his best few years of his career at Newcastle United in the team that finished second in the mid 1990's.

Jefferson Farfan

One of the most successful Peruvians in recent times, he has won a title in all of his clubs except Al Jazira and Schalke. Originally started as a number 9, he was reverted to a winger and slowly became that whislt at PSV. He was one of Schalke's key players in the time there even if they didn't win the Bundesliga, he has played many years in the Champions League and is Peru's 3rd all time top scorer with 25 goals.

Paolo Guerrero

Arguably one of Peru's most iconic players of all time, Paolo has had his up and downs in his career. Very good moments in Germany to mediocre moments in Brazil, and then began to peak when he turned 30. Captaining Peru to World Cup qualifying success and is the nations all time top scorer with 33 goals. Also one of the all time Copa America scorers.

Claudio Pizarro

Without a doubt, the most decorated Peruvian player of all time. Played in the Bundesliga essentially his whole career and is currently the top foreign scorer of the league. His struggles with the national team has overshadowed his great success in Germany, but there is no doubt that he is one of the greatest Peruvians to play the game as his successes at club level cannot be ignored.

Juan Reynoso

Legend at Cruz Azul of Mexico and regarded as Peru's best CB of the post World Cup era. 

Jose Del Solar

Hated in the country just like Pizarro, he was also a very good player who played many years abroad in Spain and had a similar case to Guerrero in anti-dopíng. That doesn't take away his level however.

Juan Manuel Vargas

Often made fun of in Peru now for being fat, and useless in the league, he was very very good when he was in Argentina and Italy. Had a great few years at Fiorentina and Colon de Santa Fe and also enjoyed a successful time with the national team between 2007-2012. Also started out as a full back like Solano and was reverted to a winger later on in his career.

Alberto Rodriguez

The debate whether he was better than Juan Reynoso is still there. He's still got a World Cup to prove himself in, and he was just as important as Paolo in order to qualify for this World Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

Its very tough between Pizarro and Farfan for me. I believe fundamentally, Pizarro was the better player but I think Farfan had the better balance between international and club football. Guerrero is also up there, but he's had a very inconsistent career. Now, he's better than Pizarro ever was, but Claudio held that longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

I think the top 5 is

1. Farfan

2. Pizarro

3. Guerrero

4. Solano

5. Rodriguez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are not Peruvians they are South Americans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
2 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Juan Reynoso is not a Cruz Azul legend xD

Most Mexicans I've met have said he is xD

Why do you think he was brought in by Meza at Puebla? Very very recognizable name for the Mexicans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Blue said:

For me to celebrate our first World Cup this century, I'll leave a poll on what you all think is the best Peruvian since the last time we qualified. Just as a bit of a survey. I'll leave a bio of each.

Nolberto Solano

Probably the most recognized Peruvian in the UK due to his many spells at clubs such as Aston Villa, West Ham and most notably, Newcastle United. Also had some smaller stints at Hartlepool and Leicester City near the end of his career. He was a wingback or a winger, and had his best few years of his career at Newcastle United in the team that finished second in the mid 1990's.

He wasn't at the club when they finished 2nd.

Key in Bobby Robson's team that qualified for the champions league and as I have said for years statistically he was better than David Beckham :coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

He wasn't at the club when they finished 2nd.

Key in Bobby Robson's team that qualified for the champions league and as I have said for years statistically he was better than David Beckham :coffee:

Thanks for correcting me. What year was it? Solano left Peru in 1997 for Boca and I remember that well because he played in the Copa Libertadores final with Cristal in that same year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Blue said:

Thanks for correcting me. What year was it? Solano left Peru in 1997 for Boca and I remember that well because he played in the Copa Libertadores final with Cristal in that same year.

He joined for the 98/99 season. 

We last finished 2nd in 96/97.

He was in the Bobby Robson team that were top of the league in March 2002 I think it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just sent a message on Whatsapp to Nobby and he's absolutely livid he's in a poll like this with the likes of Guerrero. He's not happy with you Brian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a doubt it's Solano and that is something Peruvian football HAS to fix because they're worth more than that.  Maybe the not so distant future will bring that nation's football back to what it once was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Without a doubt it's Solano and that is something Peruvian football HAS to fix because they're worth more than that.  Maybe the not so distant future will bring that nation's football back to what it once was.

:ph34r:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Blue your obsessed with Peru. I like your passon but it's obsessive. And no offence but I think you are overestimating your squad. Most of your players don' even play in Europe from what I can gather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

@Blue your obsessed with Peru. I like your passon but it's obsessive.

Christ, I analyse Peruvian football and live in the country. Shock horror

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

And no offence but I think you are overestimating your squad. Most of your players don' even play in Europe from what I can gather.

You don't have to play in Europe to be a great player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

You know whats funny? If anyone from the country (who watches and analyses the national team more than someone from another country) says a certain player is decent, or underrated, they are deemed as "biased". Its embarrassing and the sad reality of football debate today. This goes for any country and not just us.

I would rather listen to a Colombian talk about Davinson Sanchez than a Spurs fan for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Christ, I analyse Peruvian football and live in the country. Shock horror

 

:bartrapique:

 

Great emoji btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Blue said:

Christ, I analyse Peruvian football and live in the country. Shock horror

You don't have to play in Europe to be a great player.

Virtually all of the best players play in Europe. I'm not aware of any top world class players who play in south america

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Virtually all of the best players play in Europe. I'm not aware of any top world class players who play in south america

Saying that you have to play in Europe to be a great player is a shocking view that is very Euro Centric. You can have it, but then you will be very surprised by many players and teams who play proper football.

Paolo Guerrero and Riquelme both spent their peak years in South America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised Roberto Palacios wasn´t mentioned. He was a pretty iconic peruvian player in the 90s with that Sporting Cristal side.

 

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Virtually all of the best players play in Europe. I'm not aware of any top world class players who play in south america

Many good players play in South America.They may not be the best players in the world, but there are objectively very good players here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue said:

Saying that you have to play in Europe to be a great player is a shocking view that is very Euro Centric. You can have it, but then you will be very surprised by many players and teams who play proper football.

Paolo Guerrero and Riquelme both spent their peak years in South America.

Guerrero isn't world class though, is he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue said:

Saying that you have to play in Europe to be a great player is a shocking view that is very Euro Centric. You can have it, but then you will be very surprised by many players and teams who play proper football.

Paolo Guerrero and Riquelme both spent their peak years in South America.

I'm not saying there are no good players. But I'm not aware of any top top players who play in south america. I wish south america was more stronger but it's not. It's not euro centric it' the truth. As soon as a players becomes world class he goes to Europe. I know you have a bias against Europe it' quite evident 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Surprised Roberto Palacios wasn´t mentioned. He was a pretty iconic peruvian player in the 90s with that Sporting Cristal side.

 

Many good players play in South America.They may not be the best players in the world, but there are objectively very good players here.

Yeah there are good players but not world class. I clearly said that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
2 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Surprised Roberto Palacios wasn´t mentioned. He was a pretty iconic peruvian player in the 90s with that Sporting Cristal side.

 

Many good players play in South America.They may not be the best players in the world, but there are objectively very good players here.

I realized I had forgot Palacios the second I posted it.

 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm not saying there are no good players. But I'm not aware of any top top players who play in south america. I wish south america was more stronger but it's not. It's not euro centric it' the truth. As soon as a players becomes world class he goes to Europe. I know you have a bias against Europe it' quite evident 

Maybe because you don't watch South American football?

The best players play in Europe, but you don't have to if you want to be a great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blue said:

I realized I had forgot Palacios the second I posted it.

 

Maybe because you don't watch South American football?

The best players play in Europe, but you don't have to if you want to be a great.

I didn't say you had to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah there are good players but not world class. I clearly said that

Yes. The problem is that even when a player in South America is clearly prodigy, like Neymar around from 2010 to 2013, people wouldn´t say he was world class just because he played in South America.

Unfortunately we sell our talents very early. The last time I saw a south american club really compete against an european was Boca Juniors vs Bayern in 2001. It has been downhill since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I didn't say you had to

Then why are you downplaying our squad, saying I overrate them if you haven't seen any of them? You don't have to play in Europe to be a great. I'd much rather be a legend at Boca Juniors than Southampton.

We have some players playing for small teams but they are amongst the best in them. I can also recognize who is good enough for Europe and who isn't. In particular, Trauco and Tapia will be world class in my eyes, where as others like Aldo Corzo Christian Ramos will be South American club level at best. 

We haven't lost since 2016, left Chile out of the World Cup and got results against some of the big dogs. Christ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@El Profesor who would you say is the next 'Neymar' for anyone that's under 21 in Brazil right now? If there is anyone. Who do you think has the ability and potential to reach the heights that Neymar has?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Yes. The problem is that even when a player in South America is clearly prodigy, like Neymar around from 2010 to 2013, people wouldn´t say he was world class just because he played in South America.

Unfortunately we sell our talents very early. The last time I saw a south american club really compete against an european was Boca Juniors vs Bayern in 2001. It has been downhill since then.

Estudiantes vs Barcelona in 2009 and well.

Corinthians in 2012 had a better good squad, but I think they beat Chelsea because they gifted it to them and were undeserved European champs.

The best side in South America in recent years was Nacional in 2016 who got picked apart when they won the tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
Just now, Stan said:

@El Profesor who would you say is the next 'Neymar' for anyone that's under 21 in Brazil right now? If there is anyone. Who do you think has the ability and potential to reach the heights that Neymar has?

Rodrygo Goes and Vinicius Junior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement