talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which WC games are you most looking forward to?

Was having a look last night at some of the fixturesto get in the mood and wondered what games people are most looking forward to.

On paper, Portugal v Spain and England v Belgium are obvious stand outs due to the glamour factor of being big nations. But that doesn't always make for great games.

Have to say I'm actually really interested in Argentina v Croatia. I feel like Croatia are one of those sides that tend to every now and then click and produce a performance like they did against Spain in the Euro 2016 and Germany in '98. This could be that game, especially in a group where I can see points being spread about with Nigeria and Iceland in the mix.

Mexico v Sweden also looks like it could be a cracker. Not necessarily one you'd think to pick but this will be the final game in Group F. Germany will probably have secured first place or be on the verge of it, which would mean this could be a winner takes all match to get 2nd.

I'm also really fascinated to watch Poland v Colombia. I feel like Poland work so well as a team, one of those sides where the players know exactly their roles and gel so well because there are less ego's to contend with and team spirit is high. Colombia really impressed me in Brazil and I'm interested to see if they can produce a similar performance in Europe. I think what makes it even more interesting is that as an English fan, if we cgo through, the likelihood is we could face one of these sides and this game could determine which one we face.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portugal / Spain and Belgium / England leap out as I think they'll be great indicators of where these sides are in terms of the footballing pyramid for different reasons.

Spain we know have an unreal midfield and are in the top four. Whilst Portugal have a young progressive midfield and this fixture willbbe an indicator if they're miles off the top four, or not very far behind.

Belgium/ England will be a contest to see if Belgium can play as well as they look on paper, and I guess the same could be said about England. It could be the game that determines the nation's optimism and confidence.

Also, I'm looking forward to all of Peru's fixtures just because of the chaos they'll cause on here.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Portugal / Spain and Belgium / England leap out as I think they'll be great indicators of where these sides are in terms of the footballing pyramid for different reasons.

Spain we know have an unreal midfield and are in the top four. Whilst Portugal have a young progressive midfield and this fixture willbbe an indicator if they're miles off the top four, or not very far behind.

Belgium/ England will be a contest to see if Belgium can play as well as they look on paper, and I guess the same could be said about England. It could be the game that determines the nation's optimism and confidence.

Also, I'm looking forward to all of Peru's fixtures just because of the chaos they'll cause on here.

Its nailed on to be 0-0

49 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Out of curiosity, what are we calling the top four?

• Administrator

Aside from the obvious ones already mentioned, Nigera vs Croatia will be a decent match up I think.

I'm actually quite intrigued in Peru vs Denmark. Winner of these will most likely go through with France in the group so would be good to see how they fare against each other.

Group H has the potential for matches with the most unknown outcomes. There's no clear winner or runner-up in the group. I think all 4 have a realistic chance of qualifying from the group and it's the most difficult to predict. 

1 hour ago, Machado said:

Brazil- I keep forgetting how many good players they suddenly have.

France- unreal depth.

Germany- very efficient and effective in every position.

Spain- unreal midfield. Says it all that Costa is the weak link.

I think Portugal and Belgium are not far off them.

4 hours ago, Machado said:

Spain - I think people are underestimating them, they are the strongest side in it. Maybe not for talent alone, but the way they play and the chemistry they have makes them the most "perfect" team for me. A lack of a real top number 9(who is suited to them as I don't believe Diego Costa is) could be a problem though. I suppose it all depends on if Iago Aspas can show his Celta form for them as that could answer some of their issues.

Germany - Like Spain, full of quality and have great chemistry. Since they won the last one also, they have shown that they are a group of winners. Again, like Spain, they have players who have 'been there and done it'.

Brazil - Neymar and Coutinho can both win you games on their own and then they are complemented by some very good players. It's not one of the great Brazil teams, but certainly one that looks to be a massive improvement from recent editions of the tournament.

France - Probably have the most talent overall, with a great balance of young and experience players and can field an absolutely brilliant side on paper. Their problem is that they don't have the chemistry that the former two have.

• Subscriber

A lot of the crunch games that'll decide a group.

I'm talking your games like Switzerland v Serbia, Mexico v Sweden, all of group H, Iceland v Croatia, maybe even all of group A too.

Spain v Portugal is one I'll have an eye on not just for the fixture itself but the fact our new signing will likely play in it, and is being tested too.

Ultimately, Russia v Saudi Arabia as it's the next one. I just love the World Cup.

Ultimately, the match I'm looking forward to the most is England v. Belgium. It's my country against the side in the groups that has the most quality, even if they're being managed by Roberto Martinez who is a clueless fucking moron who's somehow managed to steal a living as a football manager.

I'm also looking forward to Spain v Portugal, on paper that's a tasty matchup. Also because Portugal are a bunch of dirty cunts so I hope they play dirty against Spain.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Iran in the World Cup... but chances are they won't do much. They play like a low budget Portugal, so every match will be some boring parking the bus bullshit while they try to score a goal on the counter. Chances are I'll be the only one on here that's excited for an Iran match in the World Cup xD

Oh and Colombia v Senegal is a pretty decent looking matchup, I think. 

From the group stages

Egypt vs Uruguay

Portugal vs Spain

France vs Peru

Senegal vs Columbia

Argentina vs Croatia

Brazil vs Switzerland 

All of England's games

Knockout games I'm hoping Egypt draw Spain just to see 11 Egyptians with pitchforks chasing Sergio Ramos.

3 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

From the group stages

Egypt vs Uruguay

Portugal vs Spain

France vs Peru

Senegal vs Columbia

Argentina vs Croatia

Brazil vs Switzerland 

All of England's games

Knockout games I'm hoping Egypt draw Spain just to see 11 Egyptians with pitchforks chasing Sergio Ramos.

Including Salah hopefully.

3 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Knockout games I'm hoping Egypt draw Spain just to see 11 Egyptians with pitchforks chasing Sergio Ramos.

Hegazi going studs first literally right through Ramos's kneecaps would be a truly wonderful sight to behold. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't even care if he intentionally did it, I fucking hate Ramos. I hated him before the final and I hate him even more now. "The Animal" (an apt nickname) should be put down.

Animals can be adorabale though but Ramos never.

Anyway

Group A

Russia vs Saudis - Its the opener

Uruguay vs Egypt - If Egypt even lose this match decently then they surely can beat Russia and Saudis are no problem.

Egypt vs Russia - Decider that who will go through hopefully.

Group B

Spain vs Portugal - I'm expecting this to be a 0-0 draw but since both are big teams so..

Morocco vs Iran - Again another suspected 0-0 draw but both want to win this game to have any chance of progressing

7 hours ago, Dan said:

A lot of the crunch games that'll decide a group.

I'm talking your games like Switzerland v Serbia, Mexico v Sweden, all of group H, Iceland v Croatia, maybe even all of group A too.

Spain v Portugal is one I'll have an eye on not just for the fixture itself but the fact our new signing will likely play in it, and is being tested too.

Ultimately, Russia v Saudi Arabia as it's the next one. I just love the World Cup.

Ricardo will likely be benched in favor of Cédric.

Apart from all our games, I'm looking forward to watching all the top countries matches.

The most interesting group will be group D. 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, ASF said:

Ricardo will likely be benched in favor of Cédric.

Apart from all our games, I'm looking forward to watching all the top countries matches.

The most interesting group will be group D. 

Ricardo started your last game didn't he? I've seen a few saying there's a chance he starts for you in Russia, a bit of a late one to the party but vey much involved.

Is he any good?

Archived