Premier League 2018/19 Chat

football forum

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
15 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Sadly, I have a feeling that we’re due a good year from West Ham. 

Not unless they completely overhaul their squad - there's very little talent in that team beyond Lanzini and Arnautovic

4 minutes ago, Storts said:

Not unless they completely overhaul their squad - there's very little talent in that team beyond Lanzini and Arnautovic

I have a feeling Pellegrini will make some astute signings and they’ll do relatively well as a result. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I have a feeling Pellegrini will make some astute signings and they’ll do relatively well as a result. 

We'll see - I think 10th is about their limit though. There is so much dross in that squad that is not going to get any better. The club will also be toxic as long as Gold and Sullivan are there

6 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don't know, I can see them blowing a lot of money on average players and racking up a ridiculous wage bill. I mean aren't they already paying Pellegrini £10m p/a?

I think he will do well at first, but I see it fizzling out like it did with Bilic.

• Subscriber

West Ham will be their usual erratic selves. The odd belter of a game and good run that masks the fact they're hopeless more often than not.

I think we can get stronger and yet drop in league position. I can't believe the league will be as bad as last year.

Think Puel's got to get off to a good start. Still got a lot of the fans against him.

I like the kind of moves we're making in the window this summer. Far more thought out than previous. I'd like us to challenge for the Europa League. Who knows.

• 2 months later...

Best wishes to Palace fans.  Roy Hodgson is a perfect fit for the guy on the left (picture that is). You have a super young man who was as good as Mr Beckham when we first got to know each other in Oberhausen and if he is played in his correct position he will bring lots of fun and results to Selhurst Park.  My last visit there was when I was managing Wakefield Trinity and we played a Rugby League game there in the 80's but I will have to stop my regular flights to Dusseldorf for Schalke games and try and get to London - at least Huddersfield is only 5 miles from here and it might be possible for another Pizza or two!  You are getting an International mid-fielder with  superbly accurate ability to place a dead ball kick on a pfennig and a former International Captain (Germany in the Olympics who was the only one in the team to score in the final).  Our other friend in Barca (Ivanovic) likens him to Snr Messi and that can't be bad!  Of all the kids I have been with and seen grown up he and Ivan and Manuel are the three most honest guys I know.

Look after him !

Happy that Fulham are back. I used to watch them back when they had McBride, and later on Dempsey. Craven Cottage looks like a wonderful, old English Stadium that I hope to visit one day. 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Eco said:

Happy that Fulham are back. I used to watch them back when they had McBride, and later on Dempsey. Craven Cottage looks like a wonderful, old English Stadium that I hope to visit one day. 

you might wanna do it soon as I believe they're going to be redeveloping it and modernising it, or at least there were plans to. It might lose its traditional touch once the redevelopment is done. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

you might wanna do it soon as I believe they're going to be redeveloping it and modernising it, or at least there were plans to. It might lose its traditional touch once the redevelopment is done. 

So I won't see it. Well that sucks. Always looks like a class stadium. 

Off topic- There were plans of helding a Pakistan India football series in Craven Cottage in 2015 and 17 but lack of sponsors !

I'm also looking forward to Fulham. They seem to have a team which is more than capable to stay alive in the PL.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Eco said:

So I won't see it. Well that sucks. Always looks like a class stadium. 

depends when you go mate. 

https://www.fulhamfc.com/stadium-development

pid-12454_view_04_riverview_final_altere

That's one picture of an artist's impression of the stadium. Really capturing the few days of the year that the sky is is lit up like that xD 

It may be 2021 if all on time...

timelineriversidredevelopment.jpg

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45158915

The beginning of a new season.

One Premier League side extended their own losing record, Wolves rolled out their contingent of Portuguese players, while Wilfried Zaha highlighted his importance to Crystal Palace.

BBC Sport takes a look at the key stats from the opening round of games in the Premier League - and we've even identified a bit of a gem for your fantasy team.

Most opening-day Premier League defeats
  Games Wins Draws Loses
West Ham 23 10 1 12
Newcastle 24 7 7 10
Tottenham 26 10 7 9
Southampton 20 2 10 8
Everton 26 7 11 8
Aston Villa 24 9 8

All that planning, training sessions in pre-season and bringing in new recruits before the first game of the new campaign.

But despite the hard work, West Ham's horrendous opening-game run continued in Sunday's 4-0 thrashing at Liverpool, and they have now won at Anfield just once in 46 top-flight visits.

The result means the Hammers have suffered defeat in their first match of the season 12 times in the Premier League era, more than any other side to compete in the division - Newcastle fare slightly better with 10 losses, followed by Tottenham's nine and Southampton's eight.

Maybe the supporters should have seen the result coming as new manager Manuel Pellegrini has been beaten more times against Liverpool (five) than any other side.

Swindon, Barnsley, Cardiff, Brighton, QPR and Oldham have never managed to record an opening-day win in the Premier League, although some of those teams have had more chances to do so than others.

At the other end of the spectrum, Blackpool are the only side to hold a 100% winning record, albeit from just one game when they thumped Wigan 4-0 on the opening day of the 2010-11 season.

Of the sides currently in the Premier League, Manchester United have won the most with 18, followed by Chelsea with 17, while Liverpool have 15 and Arsenal 14.

Wolves' Portuguese flavour

There was great excitement about Wolves' return to the top flight after they cruised through the Championship last season with 99 points.

They spent big in the summer, notably £18m on winger Adama Traore from Middlesbrough, but the Spaniard did not feature in the 2-2 draw against Everton.

Portuguese manager Nuno Espirito Santo selected five countrymen - goalkeeper Rui Patricio, midfielders Joao Moutinho and Ruben Neves, as well as forwards Diogo Jota and Helder Costa - in his starting line-up, the most for a Premier League club from the European country.

Neves impressed by scoring and setting up the other goal, becoming the first Portuguese player to do so since Nani for Manchester United in April 2012.

The largest number of foreign players from a single country picked by a top-flight team is the seven Frenchmen selected by Fulham against Middlesbrough in 2003 and Newcastle versus Liverpool in 2013.

Remember Cottagers defender Jerome Bonnissel? No, us neither.

The importance of Zaha

To say Wilfried Zaha is pivotal to Crystal Palace is an understatement.

Last season, the Ivory Coast international missed nine league games and without him in the side, they failed to claim a single point. His nine goals in 29 games were key to an 11th-placed finish.

Zaha stayed at Selhurst Park having been linked with a move away in the summer and he started this season by netting in the 2-0 win over promoted Fulham.

The move to Manchester United, where he struggled to break into the first team, has been put behind him and you may be surprised to know he is now Palace's joint-leading scorer in the top flight since 1992-93, level with former striker Chris Armstrong on 23 goals.

Zaha's 18 sprints were the most of any player on the pitch against Fulham and he clocked an impressive high speed of 34.43 km/h in the match. Rapid.

Searching for fantasy football points?

A new season brings the excitement of choosing new fantasy football teams.

Many people will have selected Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah or Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne, but it is those hidden gems you need to look out for to gain the edge.

Take Watford midfielder Roberto Pereyra, for example. In one version of the game - Fantasy Premier League - the Argentine was picked by just 0.9% of players at the beginning of gameweek one, but scored twice in the 2-0 victory over Brighton on Saturday and would have earned you 16 points.

The former Juventus player is a consistent performer for the Hornets, scoring five goals in his past five games at Vicarage Road, and he has also has had a hand in Watford's past six Premier League strikes.

He only costs £6m - you might want to get him in.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Dele Alli: Tottenham midfielder signs new contract until 2024

4 hours ago | Tottenham

Tottenham's England midfielder Dele Alli has signed a new contract that will keep him at the club until 2024.

The 22-year-old joined Spurs from MK Dons for £5m in 2015 and has scored 48 goals in 153 competitive matches.

He has played in six Premier League games this season - including Monday's loss to Manchester City - but has not scored since the opening day.

"I've loved my time at Spurs so far," Alli said on Instagram. "I'm very excited to see what the future holds."

Tottenham stay fifth after loss to Man City

Alli signed for Spurs from his boyhood club after making his debut aged 16 in November 2012.

The attacking midfielder came on as a substitute in the 1-0 defeat to Pep Guardiola's side having not played since September's Carabao Cup win against Watford because of a hamstring injury.

Alli follows team-mates Harry Kane, Harry Winks, Son Heung-min and Erik Lamela in signing new long-term contracts in recent months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46028911

• The topic was unpinned

Archived